Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

They might not affect people's first choices but they may inspire previous non-voters to go out and change what is there, and may affect transfers.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Hereiam on February 28, 2017, 11:45:36 PM
Ziggy us nationalists are still the shit on the shoes of the them pricks in the British establishment. Never forget that.

How ? Specifically in your day to day life, how does that manifest itself ?

Employment, housing, health etc? Real issues
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Farrandeelin

Is there a moratorium in NI when it comes to elections?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rois

Quote from: AQMP on March 01, 2017, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: Rois on March 01, 2017, 09:09:34 AM
They might not affect people's first choices but they may inspire previous non-voters to go out and change what is there, and may affect transfers.

Do you think many dyed in the wool non-voters would bother watching that in the first place??
I think there's a sizeable number, yeah. I'll take my husband as an example. Hasn't voted for years in a parliamentary election (assembly or Westminster). He watched the debate and he'll be voting tomorrow because Brexit, RHI etc are all issues that are annoying him.

AhNowRef

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 28, 2017, 07:45:24 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 28, 2017, 07:19:36 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 28, 2017, 07:03:06 PM
If you think some imagined lack of "equality" is the most important isdue facing the Six Counties then you deserve what you get. You will have equal space on the canoe going down the swanee as the glorified county council does f all

I get where you are coming from, but I disagree. Who do you decide then which members of society are less equal to others? I can't agree to society that is based on that.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that Nationalists / Republicans / Catholics were the less equal members of our society...
We remember it well. But where do you see the lack of equality now?
There are no complaints about access to housing, employment, social services, education. If anything the Loyalist working class seem to have been left behind in the likes of education and access to third level especially.
The DUP shot down the Language Act but in all honesty is that a major issue or a manufactured issue? I acceptfully of course that the DUP would prefer if Nationalists never crossed the door of Stormont but Im sure a good few SInn Fein supporters would like to see the Unionist crowd on the boat to the UK

Quote from: Taylor on February 28, 2017, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on February 28, 2017, 06:29:35 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 28, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 28, 2017, 03:49:41 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 28, 2017, 02:33:41 PM
In two minds to vote or not.

We just seem to be always teetering on the edge of the abyss with neither side willing to give an inch and always appealing to the hardcore elements.

Themmuns are campaigning about Armageddon happening if Gerry gets in while SF are basing their campaign about the RHI scandal and not how they will change things/handle Brexit/look at health etc

Depressing stuff

SF are basing their campaign on equality, something Arlene has been steadfastly against, so I'm not sure you can tar both sides with the same brush.

They are basing their arguments on how bad the other side are.

Equality isnt an issue for me

No they arent .. Sf are basing their main arguments on the RHI scandal, previous scandals and equality ... the DUP are just scaremongering re historical insecurities...

Same ole thing again with the erroneous view that both sides are as bad as eachother .... I honestly cant see how you or anyone cannot see the difference .. If we are going to move forward, we have to live in the hear & now ... Would you not agree that the DUP are either grossly incompetent &/or corrupt in their dealings with RHI, Red Sky , Irisgate, Petergate, NAMA etc.....

I dont see how SF bringing that up (as do all the other parties including the UUP by the way) is remotely akin to the DUP simply dredging up supposed bogeymen and trying to scare the bejasus out of their electorate .. who unfortunately fall for the same ole dung every time  ::)

Also, equality is the main issue for me ..

What part of your life is currently effected by inequality?
Understand things were bad however I can't see how equality is what SF will now try to deliver.
In what areas?
AF is a sc**bag no doubt as are most of the DUP but the same could be said of others involved in political parties

Did youse even read my post ? .. it was actually about the DUPs scaremongering .. not a gripe about inequality ...

If you had, (instead of picking one line and jumping down my throat   ::)) you would have seen mention of little things like RedSky, Irisgate, Petergate, NAMA, RHI etc.... the list goes on..

However, if you consider it "equality" when gobshites from the DUP (or any party/side for that matter) can and do line their own pockets and those of their friends and cronies then you havent a clue what the term equality means ... the DUP have continuously and quite blatantly abused the power they have been given .... This abuse is inequality in itself ..   All these millions going in a direction of the DUP's making instead of to the services where they are vitally needed ... is that not inequality ?

FFS Peter the Punt is now working for a NAMA contractor .. WTF .. imagine if that was Gerry Adams or Martin McGuinness .... the uproar would be insane ...  is that equality?

You could also consider LBGT issues that are NOT being treated with equality, now is that coming from SF or the DUP ?
An Irish Language act (which scotland & wales have) which personally doesnt mean that much to me but it certainly does to some people ... how would you consider their response to that ..
Legacy issues ... the DUP approach is if themuns are getting anything we're prefer no one to get anything ..
I could go on about the above and other things that were supposedly agreed at the various peace deals .. but which have not happened because the DUP have reneged.. ..
.. Would you not consider all this inequality ? ... I would ..

As well as that, we all have to make sure that the DUP dont drag us back to a past situation where as we all know,  inequality was much greater than it is now .. and thats essentially what the DUP and hardline unionists would love to see ... and aspire to..

BTW - If you read my initial post I finished by saying equality was an issue for me, in response to someone who said it "wasnt" an issue for them ...  It wasn't my reason for posting..  In fact I believe its certainly much better now but its far from perfect, but it will always remain an issue for me as I remember the past .... Equality should always be an issue for everyone in NI..

Also, I didnt say it was just down to SF to deliver equality ...

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on March 01, 2017, 09:58:24 AM
Depends if your husband is representative of the non voter or an outlier.  I can counter that with a good friend who won't be voting for the first time in his life.  I live in F&ST and anecdotally I don't get a sense of a huge uplift in the turnout, I'd be surprised if we break 60% overall in NI.  But then I got Brexit and Trump wrong so WTF do I know!

I was a committed voter up until a week or so ago but I must admit I'm falling into the "why bother" camp.  My only motivation left is to "vote against" Snarlene since she stands here.

If people do not vote, then they should complain about the outcome.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Avondhu star

Quote from: AQMP on March 01, 2017, 08:47:46 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 28, 2017, 07:51:54 PM
So what "equality" do nationalists not have at the minute ? Curious and not trolling

Just my opinion but I feel that the DUP and a large cohort of UUP supporters don't regard my Irish identity as equal to their British and don't regard my desire/aspiration for a United Ireland as equal to theirs to remain a part of the UK, my flag doesn't fly over any public building and I live my life almost totally framed in a "Northern Ireland" context because that's the official position.

Remember, you cannot legislate to change someone's opinion.
Northern Ireland is where you live like it or not. Why do you expect the flag of a foreign country to be given the same status as the flag of the UK.
Do the Ukraine government fly the Russian flag because a certain percentage of Ukrainians are of Russian extraction?
Your attraction to another country can be solved by going to live there. Otherwise continue where you are until a majority there believe that they would be better off in a united Ireland. Thats the G.F.A. position Gerry and the boys accepted
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Rossfan

Whatever happened to Parity of Esteem?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on March 01, 2017, 04:25:50 PM
Any predictions?? If TV viewing figures are any guide they were well up for the debates this time compared to last May.  A significantly increased turnout throws a few balls in the air.  I think the smaller parties will get a good uplift in votes but that probably won't transfer to seats e.g. Greens are predicted to up their no 1s by 30%-40% but across 18 constituencies that won't get more seats.  I predict Claire Bailey will keep her seat in S Belfast.  Similarly I've a gut feeling that Alliance will have a good election in terms of votes and will probably keep their 8 seats (though the SDLP are bigging up Roisin Lynch in S Antrim so David Ford could be under pressure).  Quite a few 5th seats will be very tight.  So, something like (+ or - 2 for the bigger parties)??

DUP 30
Sinn Fein 25
UUP 12
SDLP 10
Alliance 8
Greens 2
PBP 1 (McCann to miss out)
TUV 1
Claire Sugden maybe to hold on 1

Hope that adds up to 90!

So no significant change then?? One wonders why bother heading round
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

Quote from: AQMP on March 01, 2017, 08:38:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on March 01, 2017, 06:44:56 PM
So what "equality" do nationalists not have at the minute ? Curious and not trolling

Just my opinion but I feel that the DUP and a large cohort of UUP supporters don't regard my Irish identity as equal to their British and don't regard my desire/aspiration for a United Ireland as equal to theirs to remain a part of the UK, my flag doesn't fly over any public building and I live my life almost totally framed in a "Northern Ireland" context because that's the official position.

Northern Ireland is where you live like it or not. Why do you expect the flag of a foreign country to be given the same status as the flag of the UK.
Do the Ukraine government fly the Russian flag because a certain percentage of Ukrainians are of Russian extraction?
Your attraction to another country can be solved by going to live there. Otherwise continue where you are until a majority there believe that they would be better off in a united Ireland. Thats the G.F.A. position Gerry and the boys accepted

Is that you Arlene??  I am not of Irish "extraction".  I am Irish.

Northern Irish. Thats the facts of life no matter what you wish. And the Unionists are the same even though they want the British tag.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Main Street

That's the spirit, AQMP.

Take Your Points

You are an Irish citizen.

armaghniac

Quote from: Avondhu star on March 01, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
Northern Irish. Thats the facts of life no matter what you wish.

I'm Eastern Irish myself. What would  be the main difference would you say between Northern Irish and Eastern Irish people?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

north_antrim_hound

I see your Dublin
So take your westbrit BS somewhere else
Over 40 percent of the population up here have never excepted the Union Jack as their flag
The same as most of the population in the republic didn't except it when it was flying in Dublin castle
Something tells me if your where around you wouldn't have a problem with it
The GFA was to achieve the same means as armed struggle without the violence ( a move endorsed by all nationalist including myself )

I can empathise with unionist to a certain extent but Westbrits make me puke
Stick your nose back in your Indo or find a unionist thread

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets