Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on February 27, 2017, 10:10:30 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on February 27, 2017, 09:53:57 AM
Because they are another arm of the Orange Order. Simple as that.

That bit I get but you cant campaign to leave and then complain about losing subsidies. It was a crazy position and looking increasingly so.

Sure isn't that exactly what Diane Dodds was doing the other week. They really haven't a clue and Westminster won't be long telling them where to get off when the begging bowl is presented.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on February 27, 2017, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 27, 2017, 10:10:30 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on February 27, 2017, 09:53:57 AM
Because they are another arm of the Orange Order. Simple as that.

That bit I get but you cant campaign to leave and then complain about losing subsidies. It was a crazy position and looking increasingly so.

Sure isn't that exactly what Diane Dodds was doing the other week. They really haven't a clue and Westminster won't be long telling them where to get off when the begging bowl is presented.

May will promise subsidies for a year or so, and then just say that she cannot commit beyond the election or whatever. Dodds has some neck, since the DUP supported Brexit in the full knowledge that farmers would lose out over time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Take Your Points

Farmers should look to N.Zealand to see what will happen outside the EU.  When NZ was cut off by UK when it joined the single market, its farmers lost all subsidies and the industry was allowed to drift until it found its own level.  While farms in NZ are fairly large, those in N.Ireland are relatively small and less likely to survive without EU subsidies.

UK government cares little for its agriculture industry, its first concern is the provision of low cost food regardless of quality.  It can import food cheaply and of lower quality under the guise of removal of regulations.  Any rise in food prices is immediately a cause for concern for the government given the unrest it will bring and the rise in inflation.  So, imports will replace subsidised food from local farmers.  Farmers only need to look at the power of the supermarkets with the milk industry as an example.

Hereiam

Lets say the UK are going to model its farming sector on the NZ one then this is what needs to happen
- small farmers have to be forced out/bought over by the larger farmers
- field sizes will have to increase, hedges ripped out (that Europe has paid to be put in place)
- area's will need to be designated as producing just one type of produce

Can you really see this happening over here, i don't

Hereiam

So it turns out that i cant vote as my name is not on the register. >:(

Feckitt

SF running a bus from Queens to Armagh for the elections on Thursday evening.  Spread the word.

ziggysego

Quote from: Feckitt on February 27, 2017, 05:34:42 PM
SF running a bus from Queens to Armagh for the elections on Thursday evening.  Spread the word.

I don't go to Queens and I don't live in Armagh.
Testing Accessibility

michaelg

Do they allow any Prods on the bus?

armaghniac

Quote from: ziggysego on February 27, 2017, 06:23:48 PM

I don't go to Queens and I don't live in Armagh.

I'm sure the bus operators will sort you out with a polling card.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

Alex Attwood just refereed to Derry as Derry/Londonderry on the Nolan show......jesus wept. This simple statement sums up what is wrong with the SDLP.

general_lee

Quote from: Hereiam on February 28, 2017, 09:19:50 AM
Alex Attwood just refereed to Derry as Derry/Londonderry on the Nolan show......jesus wept. This simple statement sums up what is wrong with the SDLP.
Who exactly is he trying to impress?

smort

Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2017, 09:34:56 AM

UUP voters

sensethetone

Quote from: smort on February 28, 2017, 09:39:01 AM
Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2017, 09:34:56 AM

UUP voters
he drags it out a bit.. imagine he's on the radio this morning to put himself out there as he only got in and no more last time.

ha ha derry

Quote from: AQMP on February 28, 2017, 10:09:51 AM
Latest Lucid Talk Poll shows DUP at 26.3%, actually UP from the last poll.  God save us all - there is no hope for this rotten state!

However down 3% from the last election.

ashman

Quote from: AQMP on February 28, 2017, 10:09:51 AM
Latest Lucid Talk Poll shows DUP at 26.3%, actually UP from the last poll.  God save us all - there is no hope for this rotten state!

Local government , assembly , Westminster , European Parliament .  4 levels of government interfering in people's lives .  Two is more than enough TBH .