Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on February 14, 2017, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2017, 05:01:11 PM
Some discussion here
https://bangordub.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/2017-assembly-election-fahas-view/comment-page-1/#comment-11245

including this table, which shows the importance of nationalists getting off their arses.

West Tyrone

Nationalist 52%
Unionist 65%

Total - 117%

Am I missing something obvious here?
You're better than this Ziggy.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2017, 08:50:22 PM
Get out and vote ye hoors.
I have a black taxi taking me to West Belfast after work on 2nd March.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

imtommygunn

I wonder what foster's angle is with the petition of concern thing. Must think that could lose the dup votes.

Hereiam

I will be voting but lets say a miracle happens and SF are voted in as the largest party what do people think would happen....thats right straight to direct rule thats what. Unionists will never accept a nationalist majority and that is why a shared government will never work here.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on February 14, 2017, 09:55:53 PM
I will be voting but lets say a miracle happens and SF are voted in as the largest party what do people think would happen....thats right straight to direct rule thats what. Unionists will never accept a nationalist majority and that is why a shared government will never work here.

SF being the biggest party is unlikely, and IMHO would not be helpful at this point. I think a period when unionists do not have a majority and the balance of power is held by Alliance/Greens etc would be less likely to break the whole thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stiffler

What does Foster hope to achieve by her comments today on POC?

I would have thought her hardcore supporter base would have approved of her party's use of POC in the past, and the likelihood of using it again. Is she anticipating a reduced majority in the future government set up & putting the cart before the horse?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

armaghniac

Quote from: stiffler on February 14, 2017, 11:01:26 PM

I would have thought her hardcore supporter base would have approved of her party's use of POC in the past, and the likelihood of using it again. Is she anticipating a reduced majority in the future government set up & putting the cart before the horse?

With the reduction in the number of seats, she is quite likely to end up with the less than the 30 required for the POC. Removing it means the Taigs can't use it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stiffler

Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2017, 11:45:42 PM

With the reduction in the number of seats, she is quite likely to end up with the less than the 30 required for the POC. Removing it means the Taigs can't use it.

By removing it means unionists (dup + few) won't be able to use it either though.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Dire Ear

Quote from: stiffler on February 15, 2017, 07:32:20 AM

By removing it means unionists (dup + few) won't be able to use it either though.
How can it be removed ?

imtommygunn

If they really wanted to they could remove it.

Possibly right Armaghniac. Maybe a bit of fear.

If the DUP get in it is the same as SF as they won't with with foster as first minister so basically whoever is voted in there is still a likelihood of direct rule I'd have thought.

Unless UUP or SDLP surprise us but that is very very unlikely.

leenie

I discovered yesterday that my name had been removed from the voting register, I was made aware of it and had up to 5pm to get register.. but I don't know why I was removed as I always vote? Anyone know why
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

haranguerer

It would seem they're predicting their numbers at less than 30, trying to get credit for giving up something they're fairly sure to lose anyway.

POC itself not necessarily a bad thing, just DUP abuse of it has been.