Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Great write up in todays Irish Times by Fintan O Toole. Well worth a read...Sorry I can't post the lead.

Basically saying that the DUP was behind a massive pro leave campaign (Brexit) and was in bed with main English nationalist parties (or in O Tooles words leading from the front) in a big promotional campaign in and around London....despite the fact that in NI the majority voted to stay in the EU.

Interesting development...wonder will NI media pick up on it now.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 18, 2017, 08:26:01 PM
People before profit, irrespective of who they are or what they are, at least illustrated that some areas will vote outside tribal lines. Sadly only a nationalist are has done that thus far.

Hipefully with no unionist pacts this time alliance can steal some dup votes.

What about Alliance in E Belfast a few years ago when Long unseated the Punt?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Orior on January 18, 2017, 07:41:20 PM
As someone else somewhere said, if you put a DUP rosette on a monkey, the good loyalist people of Ulster would vote for it.

(Probably the same for Sinn Fein too?)

Paul Maskey being exhibit A
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Quote from: bannside on January 18, 2017, 08:27:14 PM
Great write up in todays Irish Times by Fintan O Toole. Well worth a read...Sorry I can't post the lead.

Basically saying that the DUP was behind a massive pro leave campaign (Brexit) and was in bed with main English nationalist parties (or in O Tooles words leading from the front) in a big promotional campaign in and around London....despite the fact that in NI the majority voted to stay in the EU.

Maybe I need to read the article, but what is new about what O'Toole wrote? We all know this. And it is why Brexit needs to be the stick to beat the DUP with.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on January 18, 2017, 09:23:39 PM

Maybe I need to read the article, but what is new about what O'Toole wrote? We all know this. And it is why Brexit needs to be the stick to beat the DUP with.

Unionist leadership has been worse than just Brexit .NI is considerably poorer than Munster .  .

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Gross_domestic_product_(GDP)_per_inhabitant_in_purchasing_power_standard_(PPS)_in_relation_to_the_EU-28_average,_by_NUTS_2_regions,_2014_(%C2%B9)_(%25_of_the_EU-28_average,_EU-28_%3D_100)_RYB2016.png

NI pissed away a sizeable advantage held in 1922 . Linen and shipbuilding went and bigotry delivered a paramilitary war and a brain drain. More of the same small minded shite will see Munster pulling away further . And Munster is mostly Taigs...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Saw that, it's a good piece. So much for the "our duty to the greater number" mantra that we used to hear from unionists. The days could soon be over when we get sanctimonious Billys and Sammys ringing up Talkback to lecture the taigs about how we have to "respect the verdict of the ballot box" and "what the majority says goes." They'd be quick to tell you that the Brexit vote counts because it was UK-wide, but I doubt if they'd be as hot about any NI border poll that were put to the UK voters at large.

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2017, 09:31:24 PM

Unionist leadership has been worse than just Brexit .NI is considerably poorer than Munster .  .

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Gross_domestic_product_(GDP)_per_inhabitant_in_purchasing_power_standard_(PPS)_in_relation_to_the_EU-28_average,_by_NUTS_2_regions,_2014_(%C2%B9)_(%25_of_the_EU-28_average,_EU-28_%3D_100)_RYB2016.png

NI pissed away a sizeable advantage held in 1922 . Linen and shipbuilding went and bigotry delivered a paramilitary war and a brain drain. More of the same small minded shite will see Munster pulling away further . And Munster is mostly Taigs...
You over-estimate the Northern electorate if you think that type of sensible real historical analysis would be considered at the ballot box.

Take Your Points

Quote from: Minder on January 18, 2017, 08:40:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 18, 2017, 07:41:20 PM
As someone else somewhere said, if you put a DUP rosette on a monkey, the good loyalist people of Ulster would vote for it.

(Probably the same for Sinn Fein too?)

Paul Maskey being exhibit A

It could be a long list.

ONeill

Never thought I'd never consider this but unless I hear someone campaign on non-sectarian grounds or refer to issues that really matter then I'll be driving past that polling station.

I hope there's a 20% turn out. A strong message needs to be sent out but I expect the DUP to hold and maybe even strengthen their vote. Yeeeoooooooo etc. This place is a dungheap.

Might vote for yer blade Dobson. She's deadly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on January 18, 2017, 10:19:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2017, 09:31:24 PM

You over-estimate the Northern electorate if you think that type of sensible real historical analysis would be considered at the ballot box.
It never is. That is why systems collapse. NI is a political failure.  It used to have a Prime Minister. Now it has a First Minister. But the economic failure is worse.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

Quote from: Rois on January 18, 2017, 09:23:39 PM

Nothing new in it, all has been all over the public domain previously.

That's the point he makes, that Brexit should be used to go after the DUP. Unfortunately, most DUP supporters were probably Brexiteers also. Its not like the UUP were strong remainers either - it took them a long time to make up its mind, and in the end it said its members should vote any way they want, albeit it encouraged stay. Now that that vote is over, I can't see that many DUP supporters, even those who supported Remain, will vote any differently in these elections because of it - that horse has bolted.

Fintan appears to be have forgotten that the DUP don't have a semblance of interest in representing anyone but themselves, and make no bones about it - that they went against the majority they purport to represent won't embarrass them in the slightest.

93-DY-SAM

The DUP could replace all their candidates in the forthcoming election with real monkeys and their loyal supporters would vote for them regardless. Bottom line above anything else is keeping themuns out at any cost and by any means. Everything else, Brext, NAMA, Red Sky, RHI etc pales into insignificance when they are standing at the polling booth. They just can't bring themselves to put their mark anywhere else.

imtommygunn

Foster's attitude to brexit was also extremely arrogant. She should have been pushing for what it meant for ni etc but she didn't care no matter what the vote.

haranguerer

Does the Tele even pretend not to have an agenda any more? Its (lack of) coverage of the RHI is beyond a joke. Such a rag, and its disintegration into such has been at a serious rate. Well done Gail...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38674046

While the RHI scandal rumbles on, the Belfast Telegraph front page instead focuses on the spate of paramilitary-style shootings in west Belfast.
It says three of the five people shot in the last month have, beforehand, been named on a Facebook page along with allegations of crimes they have been involved in. Updates on when they have been shot are also said to be posted on the page.
Both The Irish News and the News Letter lead with the latest development in the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme - claims that a former special adviser to Arlene Foster had acted to delay the closure of the botched scheme.

DickyRock

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 19, 2017, 08:53:03 AM
The DUP could replace all their candidates in the forthcoming election with real monkeys and their loyal supporters would vote for them regardless. Bottom line above anything else is keeping themuns out at any cost and by any means. Everything else, Brext, NAMA, Red Sky, RHI etc pales into insignificance when they are standing at the polling booth. They just can't bring themselves to put their mark anywhere else.

That is why people not voting/spoiling their vote is counter productive. People need to get out and vote to ensure DUP don't come back anywhere near the number of seat that they have.