Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2017, 10:18:24 AM
Below age 40 nationalists outweigh unionists. But in voting ages Unionist out number nationalists.
This might be the case for another 20 years. But the demographics seem to be relentless.

The people are changing though and this push for the Northern Irish identity is changing what being a nationalist or unionist is, its possibly more cultural than patriotic.

We are repeatedly told of how the majority of Nationalists don't want a unified Ireland, which is quite strange since they are termed nationalists.

Harold Disgracey

SF running 4 candidates in FST last time out cost them a seat, if they run 3 this time out they should get them all returned.

There are 2 seats in Upper Bann for SF if they manage their vote properly.

I reckon Newry & Armagh will be 3SF, 1DUP & 1SDLP with Danny Kennedy to lose out.

Strangford will be interesting to see if Jonathan Bell damages the DUP vote.

armaghniac

Quote from: MoChara on January 17, 2017, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2017, 10:18:24 AM
Below age 40 nationalists outweigh unionists. But in voting ages Unionist out number nationalists.
This might be the case for another 20 years. But the demographics seem to be relentless.

The people are changing though and this push for the Northern Irish identity is changing what being a nationalist or unionist is, its possibly more cultural than patriotic.

We are repeatedly told of how the majority of Nationalists don't want a unified Ireland, which is quite strange since they are termed nationalists.

There are many pseudo nationalists, but even these should not be keen on a Brexit UK with an NI dominated by a bigoted DUP. Consequently, they should get off their arses and go out and vote and transfer down the line to the likes of Alliance, Greens and even UU to get the DUP below the 30.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Agree with this.  Lodging the petition of concern yesterday to keep Robin Newton in his seat was an absolute joke.  Especially when ALL the rest of the parties, across the divide, agreed that he should be removed.  It shows the contempt with which the DUP treat the rest of the parties in the Assembly and the 'institutions'.  There was absolutely no sound basis for the POC's use here.

I dearly hope that the moderate unionist voters who the DUP have recently recruited see this but I'd have my doubts.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: OakleafCounty on January 17, 2017, 08:44:56 AM
Unless you go out and vote for the Ulster Unionists your vote won't make a dam bit of difference to the DUP.

This kind of attitude will forever condemn NI to DUP rule and the UUP wouldnt be much better given the chance think Tom scum Elliot. As noted earler doesnt matter if you dont like SDLP SF then vote green or Alliance or independent and transfer along least unlikeable if must but it will all help get DUP below 30 seats so they cant keep abusing poc

Hereiam

What i would like to see is the true figures for the cost to the tax payer of

DUP/Prodestant side
Expenses Scandel
RHI
Red Sky
Nama
Policing Orange order parades (including twaddle twat)
Pipe band grant
Orange hall grant
Dee skitter (UDA Payments)

TOTAL=

SF/Catholic side
Expenses scandal
IRA payments (community funds)

TOTAL=

You can see where I am going with this.
I noticed in an interview with one of the DUP MLA's that he used a line "we will look after or own people in Northern Ireland" which summed it up very well for me as to how things will not change here, the UUP will be no better.

The money also wasted on rebranding a boat, renaming departments and undoing sensible things that we done by previous ministers also is lost in all this.
But sure its better than killing each other.

Take Your Points

60,000 voters removed from the register in December 2016

Voters removed by constituency
Belfast East 2,379
Belfast North 4,463
Belfast South 3,213
Belfast West 5,759
East Antrim 2,323
East Londonderry 2,651
Fermanagh & South Tyrone 3,014
Foyle 4,912
Lagan Valley 2,554
Mid Ulster 3,145
North Antrim 2,795
North Down 2,310
Newry & Armagh 4,534
South Antrim 2,997
South Down 4,012
Strangford 2,449
Upper Bann 3,451
West Tyrone 3,472

All these are significant numbers but maybe people who don't keep themselves on the register don't vote.  Could have an effect when the number of MLAs are being reduced.

johnneycool

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 17, 2017, 01:03:46 PM
SF running 4 candidates in FST last time out cost them a seat, if they run 3 this time out they should get them all returned.

I reckon Newry & Armagh will be 3SF, 1DUP & 1SDLP with Danny Kennedy to lose out.

In a Unionist dominant area like Strangford I can see the UUP take a seat off the DUP if they get their finger out.

Alliance will hold their seat but won't have enough to get two.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: johnneycool on January 17, 2017, 02:21:28 PM

In a Unionist dominant area like Strangford I can see the UUP take a seat off the DUP if they get their finger out.

Unfortunately going down to 5 seats means any outside chance of a nationalist seat here has gone. Good news though the boundary changes next time gets rid of alot of these very unionist areas same for west belfast meaning most people will get some sort of representation

Take Your Points

Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2017, 02:06:05 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 17, 2017, 02:04:17 PM
60,000 voters removed from the register in December 2016

Voters removed by constituency
Belfast East 2,379
Belfast North 4,463
Belfast South 3,213
Belfast West 5,759
East Antrim 2,323
East Londonderry 2,651
Fermanagh & South Tyrone 3,014
Foyle 4,912
Lagan Valley 2,554
Mid Ulster 3,145
North Antrim 2,795
North Down 2,310
Newry & Armagh 4,534
South Antrim 2,997
South Down 4,012
Strangford 2,449
Upper Bann 3,451
West Tyrone 3,472

All these are significant numbers but maybe people who don't keep themselves on the register don't vote.  Could have an effect when the number of MLAs are being reduced.

On what basis are they removed and can you check if you're on the register??

The only way to check is to contact your local electoral office, there is no online register.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38652276

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2017, 02:32:29 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on January 17, 2017, 02:26:13 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 17, 2017, 02:21:28 PM

Unfortunately going down to 5 seats means any outside chance of a nationalist seat here has gone. Good news though the boundary changes next time gets rid of alot of these very unionist areas same for west belfast meaning most people will get some sort of representation

In Strangford you'd think Nesbitt, Hamilton, McIlveen and Kellie Armstrong (Alliance) will be safe enough.  Will Bell run, is the big question??  If he doesn't you might see someone like Jimmy Menagh benefit.

With Sinn Feín non existent in the area means that the DUP main thrust of keeping the Shinners out mightn't have the same impact on a local level and Nesbitt needs a strong running partner to break DUP majority.

Whether Bell stands could have a bearing alright, depending on what creed of christian he is and their "fanbase" in the constituency to cause an upset outside the DUP party apparatus is another thing ala Jim Allister in NA.

Those religious types down here can be a funny crew at times.

Alliance ala Kelly Armstrong may also be in a bit of a tighter fight than she ought to be due to a local dispute wrt provision of a "cross community" full size floodlit 3G pitch which the DUP and UUP were trying to railroad into the lovely fishing village of Portavogie. The Alliance and SDLP are getting the blame for it not going ahead there as there was nothing in the application in relation to support for Gaelic games which is a requirement and the funding body pulled the plug which both are supposed to have highlighted.
Just goes to show you the f**kers seem to think they can ride roughshod over legislation at local government level as well as Stormont

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2017, 04:20:56 PM
People Before Profit to run a second candidate in West Belfast.  Could be final nail in coffin for Alex Attwood??

If they came to my door I would hammer them on designation and brexit. Im no SF fan but these guys are a bunch of spoofers.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on January 17, 2017, 04:26:57 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2017, 04:20:56 PM
People Before Profit to run a second candidate in West Belfast.  Could be final nail in coffin for Alex Attwood??

If they came to my door I would hammer them on designation and brexit. Im no SF fan but these guys are a bunch of spoofers.

Have to say although I have a soft spot for Eamon McCann, since he got elected he has been almost anonymous

stiffler

Quote from: drillsergeant on January 17, 2017, 08:28:46 AM
Well folks, drew up my prediction for March 2nd election:

Election 2017 predictions

Fermanagh South Tyrone: 2DUP 2SF 1UUP
Newry\Armagh: 2SF 1DUP 1UUP 1SDLP
W Belfast: 4SF 1PBP
S Belfast: 2DUP 1SDLP 1SF 1AP
N Belfast: 3DUP 2SF
E Belfast: 3DUP 2AP
North Down: 2DUP 1GP 1UUP 1AP
Stangford: 3DUP 1UUP 1AP
South Down: 2SDLP 2SF 1DUP
Upper Bann: 2DUP 2UUP 1SF
Lagan Valley: 3DUP 1AP 1UUP
South Antrim: 3DUP 1SF 1UUP
East Antrim: 3DUP 1UUP 1AP
North Antrim: 3DUP 1TUV 1SF
Mid Ulster: 3SF 1SDLP 1DUP
East Derry: 3DUP 1SF 1IND
Foyle: 2SDLP 2SF 1DUP
West Tyrone: 3SF 1DUP 1SDLP

DUP: 37
SF: 25
UUP: 9
SDLP: 8
AP: 7
GP: 1
TUV: 1
PBP: 1
IND: 1

Don't think the scandals will effect the DUPs performance  as unionists will stick by the DUP regardless but again I could be wrong. Some seats will be very tight for the last remaining seat, transfers will be very important this time around.

Would upper bann not have a large enough nationalist population to return 2 nationalist seats?

I suppose a lot will do with transfers.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

Does it matter what mix of outdated unionists or nationalists are elected? That won't be progress.New parties emphasising common Northern Irishness,not fantasists obsessed with Britain or the Free State are badly needed to effect meaningful change