Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Quote from: gawa316 on January 22, 2009, 06:22:35 PM
Anyone know how much it should cost to replace a draft shaft in a audi a3?

Haven't a clue about cars and it seems like the mechanic has been talking in a foreign language to me about it ???
I presume you mean a drive shaft? it'll all depend on what exactly you need.. but its expensive enough. Vag car parts are always more expensive to buy...

gawa316

Quote from: Candyman on January 22, 2009, 11:13:47 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on January 22, 2009, 06:22:35 PM
Anyone know how much it should cost to replace a draft shaft in a audi a3?

Haven't a clue about cars and it seems like the mechanic has been talking in a foreign language to me about it ???
I presume you mean a drive shaft? it'll all depend on what exactly you need.. but its expensive enough. Vag car parts are always more expensive to buy...

Yeah sorry drive shaft. Going up to see him today, expecting the worse. Why does this shit always seem to happen in January?!

flog the lot

have a 206 and i replaced the fuel filter, since then the car hasn't been starting properly, garge says there is now a hole in the fuel pipe going into the filter and this will cost about £100 to replace as you cannot just replace 1 pipe but have to replace a few of them in a bunch.
he has taped up the hole and he put back in the old diesel filter and it is starting fine at the minute

does this sound reasonable?

TORGAEL

Was searching the internet trying to find a part for my mondeo, when i came across this website and thought it might be handy for anyone who is trying to find cheap car parts. Ford had quoted me £500 but these lot said they had what i was looking for and would deliver it as well for a total cost of £80.50. Some feckin difference !

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

downgirl

The fecking electric wing mirror adjustors aren't working either!!!  Arrghh!!! Are they on the same fuse as the radio/cigarette lighter??

Moral of the story is never buy a cigarette lighter adaptor off ebay!!

:'(

And the internet in the airport is 12c a min!!!  Rip off central!!

downgirl

I have NO luck...

banged the car this evening, slightly dented and quite badly scraped on the back drivers panel...anyone know how much it would be to get this fixed?  I can email photos.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( X 100000000000000000

Gaffer

Diesel consumption on my 2005 Honda Accord has gone down 20% practically overnight.  Driving style hsn t changed, I did change the air filter thinking that was the problem but it made no difference and I have always bought my diesel from the same place (Tescos)

Anything else I could try, anyone?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Main Street

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 22, 2009, 08:31:50 PM
Cheers lads.

Actually got advise from a garage near me and they advised that it could be that the starter motor was jamming and that putting it into gear and rocking it would work. So tried that and worked a treat. So hopefully I'll get her to a garage tomorrow and get the starter motor looked at.
But thanks for the help.
Could be just dirty inside just needing a clean out.
Giving the starter an educated whack with a hammer also works to get it to engage.
Sometimes if the weather has been freezing the goo inside freezes up, it responds well to getting the hair dryer treatment.

Quote from: muppet on January 22, 2009, 06:12:25 PM

I had a similar problem years ago with a Mondeo and it was a battery problem somehow combined with the immobilizer. New battery required.
I don´t know about the immobilizer, a  low battery can also be the issue, just enough power to spin the thingy inside the starter but not enough battery power to get it to engage. So all you hear is the whine or a clicky type whine.

Main Street

Quote from: Gaffer on January 25, 2009, 07:50:13 PM
Diesel consumption on my 2005 Honda Accord has gone down 20% practically overnight.  Driving style hsn t changed, I did change the air filter thinking that was the problem but it made no difference and I have always bought my diesel from the same place (Tescos)

That was an okay first thing to try.
Usually if the air filter is the issue, you can take it out, start up the engine and you will hear immediatly the sound of a crisper raunchier engine.
I don´t know the honda accord engine.
In general
any visible fuel leaking  around the injectors and fuel lines when the engine is running?
Is power noticibly down while car is in use?
Any change in the colour of the smoke coming out of the exhaust when starting up, when ticking over and when the acellerator pedal is pressed?
Is it as easy to start up as it was before?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: downgirl on January 25, 2009, 07:46:47 PM
I have NO luck...

banged the car this evening, slightly dented and quite badly scraped on the back drivers panel...anyone know how much it would be to get this fixed?  I can email photos.

One panel maybe 300 - 350 euro depending on just how bad it is. The scratch is confined to just one panel isn't it?

downgirl

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2009, 08:38:16 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 25, 2009, 07:46:47 PM
I have NO luck...

One panel maybe 300 - 350 euro depending on just how bad it is. The scratch is confined to just one panel isn't it?

It is yea.  It's a 3 door car so its just the panel behind the drivers door, the worst of it is at the wheel arch.

mylestheslasher

Is the wheel arch area deformed or warped following the tip or is it just a scratch. If it is warped then it can be very hard to fix and you might be as well getting a new panel altogether. If I were you I'd price both. Check the scrap yards for a panel too. You might be lucky and get one the right colour, if not you'll have to bring it to the panel beater and get him to re-spray it for you.
What sort of car and what year is it?

downgirl

I don't think it is...see it happened this evening for some reason the lights were off in the underground car park so I only could see what was in the headlights, was turning right into a parking space trying to avoid metal things that were on the passenger side of the space and because it was dark didn't realise I was so close to the pillar and scraped the back of the car on it  :'(

So, as it was dark I was using the light from my phone to see how bad the damage was, so it was only when I took the fotos I could see the damage.  It doesn't seem too badly dented, it seems to be badly scraped more than anything.  May be a slight warp in it but nothing extreme I don't think.

Its a 04 Corolla.

mylestheslasher

For scratching the panel beater will have to remove the panel, remove the paint (shot blast) and the paint again. Painting is expensive. I'd say you'd get away with €300 maybe as it doesn't sound too bad. If any hoor tries to charge more walk away.

Before you go that road try ringing traynors car breakers in Dungannon. The Corolla is a popular car and they'll have lots of them. You might be lucky and they might have the panel you want in the colour you want. Would be a cheaper job then all you'll need is someone a bit handy to remove the old panel and put on the new one. Traynors do delieveries through out Ireland too so you might not even need to go to far. There are lots of other breakers too have a look in yellow pages to find some near where you are based.

Gaffer

Quote from: Main Street on January 25, 2009, 08:06:46 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on January 25, 2009, 07:50:13 PM

That was an okay first thing to try.
Usually if the air filter is the issue, you can take it out, start up the engine and you will hear immediatly the sound of a crisper raunchier engine.
I don´t know the honda accord engine.
In general
any visible fuel leaking  around the injectors and fuel lines when the engine is running?
Is power noticibly down while car is in use?
Any change in the colour of the smoke coming out of the exhaust when starting up, when ticking over and when the acellerator pedal is pressed?
Is it as easy to start up as it was before?

Thanks Main Street. No noticale difference in power though would have to check i there i leakage around injectors etc and have a look at the smoke . It is ok to start up. No probs there!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"