Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oglach

The refereeing in the Kilcoo/Warrenpoint game was a disgrace.
The same Referee has personal issues with some of the Kilcoo players and has told this openly.
The report in the Irish news was as critical as Ive read in a while. It stopped short from calling him a cheat!
It's not the first time these problems have arisen but they're a little more obvious now.
The time keeping was worrying alright but whats more worrying is that the clock on the scoreboard was working for the clonduff/Bryansford game.
The excuse for it not working for the Kilcoo/Point game "the remote is lost!"
Is it too much to ask that the matches are officiated fairly?
Congratulations to Warrenpoint on a gutsy performance but like it or not, it'll be remembered as a victory for a crooked referee.

Golden Eye

Kilcoo absolutely Disgusting! For a chairman and secretary of a club to run out and approach a referee and personal abuse that man was unreal!

Kilcoo shouldn't be allowed any spectators for there behaviour last night, burren should be given there tickets!

thewobbler

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 24, 2020, 10:23:44 PM
Does anyone blame him if he did quit, seasoned campaigner and the best in the county, yet treated like that after a game. It's so far past our games ethics and at some point markers need to be put down. No doubt Kilcoo will circle the wagons and believe the world are out to get them. Poor kilcoo.

Champion - I'd say you are one of these bloodbayers, from the BBC report I watched it just mentioned the timing issue.

I would absolutely love to see zero tolerance for referee abuse, I really would. Id be 100% behind cards galore and people ejected from grounds, and for as long as it takes.

It's a sickening stain on our game that people feel entitled to object vociferously to every decision, and will make it personal and downright nasty at the drop of a hat.

But in the context of the GAA world in 2020, I think there's a few on here want to overplay Kilcoo's behaviour. I'm sure there were plenty of foul things directed at Faloon. But to be declared championship match losers by a point when time clearly wasn't up, that's a hammer blow. That he was surrounded wasn't even slightly a surprise. Anyone who thinks their club would behave differently is living in cuckoo land.

Finally, there were seven officials Faloon could have got a steer from on a simple thing like time. Same as our championship match on Saturday when the referee was determined to keep his own sin bin timings, and play 10 mins of injury time. They have support in championship matches and sometimes these lads just don't help themselves.

I just wish they showed the same conviction in waving red cards for personal abuse, for encroaching onto fields, for people acting the ****.

forevergreen

Quote from: Oglach on August 24, 2020, 10:43:05 PM
The same Referee has personal issues with some of the Kilcoo players and has told this openly.
The report in the Irish news was as critical as Ive read in a while. It stopped short from calling him a cheat!
It's not the first time these problems have arisen but they're a little more obvious now.
The time keeping was worrying alright but whats more worrying is that the clock on the scoreboard was working for the clonduff/Bryansford game.
Congratulations to Warrenpoint on a gutsy performance but like it or not, it'll be remembered as a victory for a crooked referee.
f**k I laughed at this - is it to much to ask for matches to be officiated fairly??. You's arent as quick to criticise officials when they ignore gouging, disgraceful verbals, fingers in mouths etc. But what goes around comes around. Yous have blocked Paul Fallon for years because he doesn't get intimidated by you's. He might well have made a timing error and for that he'll have to hold his hands up and take the criticism but everything else is by the book with him and that's your bigger problem.

befair

Quote from: Oglach on August 24, 2020, 10:43:05 PM

This libellous and the moderators should take it down

Smurfy123

Paul Faloon refereed the game to the highest standard and is by far the best ref in Down football and he proved it. He doesn't get intimidated by Kilcoo like the rest do. Even Sharvin tried to give a line ball to Kilcoo that Faloon overturned. It clearly came off a Kilcoo man Sharvin tryin to blatantly help Kilcoo. We were lucky to come away with the win but we will take it

Oglach

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 24, 2020, 11:13:22 PM
Paul Faloon refereed the game to the highest standard and is by far the best ref in Down football and he proved it. He doesn't get intimidated by Kilcoo like the rest do. Even Sharvin tried to give a line ball to Kilcoo that Faloon overturned. It clearly came off a Kilcoo man Sharvin tryin to blatantly help Kilcoo. We were lucky to come away with the win but we will take it
The highest standard!! We wouldn't be on here discussing this if it was of a high standard.
God help Down football if that's the highest standard.
The evidence is stacked in this one. Take off the blinkers fellas.

champion1981

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 24, 2020, 11:13:22 PM
😄 the highest standard he says! He over ruled both his lines men and even his umpires 🙈  ,im afraid all he has done here has woke a sleeping giant in our game, i think kilcoo will be more than happy with the 6draw last night and take the points seconds comfortably, 😁

champion1981

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 24, 2020, 10:23:44 PM
Does anyone blame him if he did quit, seasoned campaigner and the best in the county, yet treated like that after a game. It's so far past our games ethics and at some point markers need to be put down. No doubt Kilcoo will circle the wagons and believe the world are out to get them. Poor kilcoo.

Champion - I'd say you are one of these bloodbayers, from the BBC report I watched it just mentioned the timing issue.
yeah you must of watched the same bbc report as I did! Read the irish news write up! Never  have I read such a bad report about a referee  in County Down! Or in deed Ireland,  or maybe just maybe kilcoo run the irish news also🤔,  the jealously on the page is unbelievable,  dare I say 99.9 % of people on this would love to be in the  position that the magpies are in!! I for 1 would!

Cuan12

Some guys /girls obviously have a very blinkered view of the points Kilcoo game, first congrats to whoever come up with the tv coverage.
The game I thought was very well referred by Paul Faloon, I have met him several times when he has referred our games and he is the only ref who truly lets the game flow,Kilcoo lost the game because of ill discipline, it was a true championship game played in the right spirit until Kilcoo felt the game slipping away, how many times has Dylan Ward been black carded, the rule of a ten minute sir on the bench is good as it does penalise the offending players team, I don't think Warrenpoint will win the SFC but they will go close, some good players and I'm no fan if theirs, Kilcoo will come back stronger but they should go to Paul Faloon and apologise to him as their actions at the end of the game were a disgrace and very reminiscent of by gone days of thuggery and abuse towards officials.Kilcoo will be lucky to escape further sanctions but any action by the CCC is dependant on referees report and how much the county hierarchy value and support their officials.
Smurf you have genuine contenders this year but don't be getting carried away!

terrifictommy

Most people in here are from a range of clubs, so either those outside of Kilcoo have got it all wrong or the perspective you have is clouded. Each year the same debate rumbles on, its about the integrity of the football club. Abusing an individual is wrong.

Why don't people talk about Kilcoo with admiration like they do of Corofin, Crossmaglen. is the jealousy any less. I doubt it. Would I like to have as many county medals in my pocket over the last decade - Yes without a doubt.

Down have 2 refs in the national panel, you don't get to that level being a poor ref. That's all I'm saying.

imtommygunn

I don't know what went on here but when someone is making a conspiracy theory of it by saying that remote was lost for the time keeping on the scoreboard for the game then it makes a bit of a mockery of their arguments. How would a ref know up front that if he was looking a team beat he could do it by blowing up early!!

Cuan12

Kilcoo s intergity has never been questioned in the past or has it, memory is fading but I recall them being involved in racially abusing a Crossmaglen player, they are extremely driven but some of their actions on the field have in the past being rightly criticised but I believe they concentrate playing football these days, bottom line is the team and their supporters don't like getting beat and believe they can attack officials with impunity .
An apology to the referee would go along to diffuse this situation but we will see, over to the CCC

upandwin

Say what you like about this forum but by Christ It is entertaining...I'm not biased towards any particular referee or against any either but from where I watched the match it was referred excellently (apart from the obvious mistake with time which was crazy). During the 59 and a half mins of play however :) I think Faloon had a fantastic game and that's hard to do where Kilcoo are involved. I don't think naming referees for calling them out is appropriate on here but let's look at the conspiracy theory from outside the Magpie camp for a second if you want to go down this rabbit hole.

Kilcoo v Burren in 2015 Q/F (I think, could be wrong on year) Gerard McGovern black card for 'sledging' (never seen or heard of that before or after that instance) when Burren were well on top, that changed the game and Kilcoo won.

Kilcoo v Burren 2017- Kilcoo MANAGEMENT kick Balls on to the pitch to waste time and no extra time added to allow for their shithousery, then they cried off for Burren doing same thing in 2018 in County final the following year

Kilcoo v CPN in 2018 S/F-I counted 5 free kicks given to Kilcoo in that game which were at best, not fouls and at worst, actually free kicks the other way-4 of these amounted to scores)...Point captain Boyle got two yellows in this game and sent off when Point were winning by 2 and in ascendancy...His first yellow card was mystifying and Devlin got nothing for two of the EXACT same tackles...Kilcoo won by 3/4 points...

Kilcoo v Clonduff 2019 S/F- One of the Brannigans reckless flying knees in to the keeper at the end and scuffle ensues...McConville and keeper both sent off and Brannigan gets a YELLOW card from a Rostrevor referee (I wonder why a Rostrevor man wouldn't want an important Kilcoo player to be suspended for their final that particular year)

Constant reports of Referees doing in-house games and overseeing TACKLING GRIDS and Pressure cooker drills in training sessions too, maybe Paul Faloon wasn't willing to be bought off by the Magpies and hence the grudge they have towards him...

Makes for a more appealing conspiracy theory than the 'Sure yer man forgot the remote' narrative...

For those of you might miss the tone of this post I'll sum it up...Sometimes decisions go your way, sometimes they don't...sometimes teams feel hard done by and it happens EVERY SINGLE CLUB at some point...The way I see it, when you are the favourites in a match or champonship-you will always get the rub of the green from referees when it matters (IN ALL SPORTS) and that will be the same until you become the big team...as underdogs you are going to have to beat the favourites and the referee...you will have to overcome 16 men maybe 17 men really when you have umpires that can't make the big calls evenly...Kilcoo did it at one point to overturn the burren team that was dominating 10yrs ago, as did Burren to take down the Mighty Bridge sides early 2000s...so will Burren or Warrenpoint or anyone else that wants a crack at the title...they will have to beat all the officials too, or get a half strong referee with the backbone to refer unbiased and make calls as he sees them...unfortunately for the chasing pack I think it will have to be the former because we aren't blessed with strong enough referees in this county other than Paul and possibly Con Reynolds who has had a couple of great games in this year's championship already...

stiff breeze

Ballyholland men here saying that any other team would act the same way ..... no not any other team , yours maybe given their recent behaviour . There is no excuse ever for that spectacle .

I'm sure Paul would be the first to admit he made a mistake after the game on the time when he reflects on it , but to be surrounded by half a dozen players and officials is bound to be a scary situation . To be fair to one of the kilcoo men , the chairman I think , he seemed to be trying to get his members away from Paul . He made a mistake , he's human . If a player makes a mistake do his team members surround him and give him grief after the fact ... no they don't . We need referees , no games take place without them . Paul made one error , the time . The overturning the line ball was a decision he should be complimented for because it was THE RIGHT CALL 🙄. Yes Some 50/50 decisions went against kilcoo , Such is the game . Get over it and take ur medicine and come back better