The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 19, 2017, 11:21:53 PM
The performance against Wolves was very disappointing but Monk has shown an ability to lift the squad at pressurised stages all season. There will be points dropped elsewhere among the group chasing play-off places and two wins from the last three games may well get Leeds over the line. If we can beat Burton at the weekend, we will be firmly back in the frame.

If results do go against Leeds I hope that the Directors and owners dont lose faith in Monk. He is a good sound manager and with a bit more experience in the team will get them promoted.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Billys Boots

To be honest, it isn't a good enough squad to stay in the Premier League (in my view), though there is the argument that the windfall from (even a disastrous year in) the Premier League is how a real squad could be built.  In my small world, I'd like to see a loss in the semi-final play-offs, Monk to stay on and be given a decent budget to buy a quality holding midfielder, a quality attacking midfielder/playmaker, another decent centre-back and an up-and-coming goal-keeper.   
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

shark

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 20, 2017, 02:21:55 PM
To be honest, it isn't a good enough squad to stay in the Premier League (in my view), though there is the argument that the windfall from (even a disastrous year in) the Premier League is how a real squad could be built.  In my small world, I'd like to see a loss in the semi-final play-offs, Monk to stay on and be given a decent budget to buy a quality holding midfielder, a quality attacking midfielder/playmaker, another decent centre-back and an up-and-coming goal-keeper.   

Very few squads look good enough when they first go up. 1 or 2 clever buys can change the landscape. And it quite often only takes 35 points now to stay up. The "magical 40 point mark" hasn't been needed since the year West Ham last went down.
And even if a club does go straight back down it is still worth it for 1 year. Parachute payments will follow. Leeds could go up this year and finish 17th or better with 80% of their current squad. Equally they could fail to go up (maybe lose a couple of better players to bottom half Premier League teams) and finish in the bottom half of the championship next year. If I was a Leeds fan I'd want them up this year, no matter how ill prepared they may seem.

Billys Boots

Yeah, that's essentially what Burnley did.  You'd be very reliant on Monk building a good dressing-room and trying to avoid losing the spine of your team after relegation though. 

Mourne Rover

Posted by: Billys Boots - Today at 02:21:55 PM

Posted by: Shark - Today at 04:02:04 PM

Very few squads look good enough when they first go up. 1 or 2 clever buys can change the landscape. And it quite often only takes 35 points now to stay up. The "magical 40 point mark" hasn't been needed since the year West Ham last went down.
And even if a club does go straight back down it is still worth it for 1 year. Parachute payments will follow. Leeds could go up this year and finish 17th or better with 80% of their current squad. Equally they could fail to go up (maybe lose a couple of better players to bottom half Premier League teams) and finish in the bottom half of the championship next year. If I was a Leeds fan I'd want them up this year, no matter how ill prepared they may seem.

Billy is entitled to point out the need to strengthen the squad but most Leeds fans will agree with Shark. The stand-out figures this season have been the centre backs, Bartley and Jansson, and of course Wood up front. They are already being linked with Premiership clubs, as is the left back Taylor, and the chances of holding on to them if Leeds do not get promotion are slim. If we have to start again in the championship next August with a completely reshaped team, it could easily be back to mid-table mediocrity or worse.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 20, 2017, 04:25:29 PMIf we have to start again in the championship next August with a completely reshaped team, it could easily be back to mid-table mediocrity or worse.

Would agree with this.

Unfortunately the make up of the squad is very fluid - Bartley and Jannson are both there on loan and there are other loanees as well - Pedraza and Barrow come to mind. That's why it is so important to get promoted, acquire the wealth that comes with it, and start rebuilding the squad in a manner that allows for the possibility of a return to the Championship, i.e. contracts that will see a reduction in pay for players if relegation happens.

Billys Boots

Quotecontracts that will see a reduction in pay for players if relegation happens

Are cheap 'release clauses' not the trade-off for the insertion of such clauses in players' contracts? 

seafoid

Newcastle got 72 million even though they were relegated.
The premiership needs a few teams with a bit of history, with all respects to Bournemouth.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 21, 2017, 09:18:37 AM
Are cheap 'release clauses' not the trade-off for the insertion of such clauses in players' contracts?

I'll be honest Billy, I'd never thought of that angle. I look though at a club like Burnley who seem to be able to retain players after relegation and keep them in place to mount a fresh promotion challenge. I think it can be done.

Just on another note, very sorry to hear of the passing of former player Ugo Ehiogu who died at the tragically early age of 44. May He Rest In Peace.

Rufus T Firefly

And that, as they say, is that.

Back to back defeats to extremely average teams - no shots on target in the opening seventy minutes of each game - definite bottle job for me. Only an unlikely series of results will now see a play off place gained. A season that promised so much for so long turns to dust when the finish line was so close.

Very early to speculate but I'd imagine there will be significangt change in personnel between now and August and the chances of getting  a winning combination will be that bit longer.

One more year in the widerness beckons!!   :(

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 22, 2017, 10:36:29 PM
And that, as they say, is that.

Back to back defeats to extremely average teams - no shots on target in the opening seventy minutes of each game - definite bottle job for me. Only an unlikely series of results will now see a play off place gained. A season that promised so much for so long turns to dust when the finish line was so close.

Very early to speculate but I'd imagine there will be significangt change in personnel between now and August and the chances of getting  a winning combination will be that bit longer.

One more year in the widerness beckons!!   :(

Keep Monk. Open the chequebook. Gates of 30000 will deliver
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

seafoid

Look how much spons Leeds miss out on every year they fluff promotion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/15/hull-sunderland-middlesbrough-relegation-premier-league-championship
"Hull will receive £47m in parachute payments next season and £38m in 2018-19 (had they been in the Premier League for more than a single year they would also have been due a third instalment of £17m, in 2019 20)"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2017, 08:16:37 PM
Look how much spons Leeds miss out on every year they fluff promotion

No Leeds fan needs reminding of that. I'd say having money from just one of the big transfers and contracts of the Ridsdale era would represent some lift now.

I thought that Fulham would have been favourites to go up but they fell at the semi-final stage this evening. Hope the winners of Wednesday and Huddersfield make it to the Premier League now.