Down v Monaghan - Saturday 24th June at 7pm

Started by interested, June 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Monaghan have named an unchanged team, with Darren Hughes listed on the bench. Tommy Freeman is also included in the subs according to the county's website - it must be a while since he was last involved.

The Subbie

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 22, 2017, 10:34:12 PM
Monaghan have named an unchanged team, with Darren Hughes listed on the bench. Tommy Freeman is also included in the subs according to the county's website - it must be a while since he was last involved.

It must be Darren Freeman - no relation - Tommy Freeman hasn't played county football in a few years now.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: The Subbie on June 22, 2017, 11:04:23 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 22, 2017, 10:34:12 PM

It must be Darren Freeman - no relation - Tommy Freeman hasn't played county football in a few years now.

Tommy Freeman, I thought I was dreaming when I read that first..  ;D

Great to see young Freeman from Clones get included in the squad. I'd imagine he could get a run if the game opens up a bit in the second half. Impressive in the Dublin senior league so far, by all accounts.

Main Street

There's some competition on the subs bench to get a decent run out.

Schkite

Yeah good to see Freeman get a shot, sounds like he's been in good form for St Brigids. He'd be a good man to bring on along with McCarthy when the game opens up. Some good attacking options there now.

Il Bomber Destro

Where did Christopher McGuinness and Hanratty disappear to?

thebuzz

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 23, 2017, 03:52:32 PM
Where did Christopher McGuinness and Hanratty disappear to?

Hanratty couldn't be too old?

Dubh driocht

Monaghan are stronger all over the field, on the bench and on the line. O'Rourke is a grizzly veteran of Ulster battles and last year's massacre in Clones was the worst trimming I've ever seen in the USFC. The Wylies and Walsh take no prisoners, the Hughes Bros are class acts and as for McManus..... They probably have one more shot at the big time and we know from last year that they're not a back door team so make no mistake they will be up for it. And yet....5 years ago at the same stage at the same venue it  looked like a tanking was on the cards until a wee man from Kilcoo said 'to hell with this,we're Down and we don't go out of the championship like lambs', and up popped a certain Darren O'Hagan to fire over the winner. If that happens again the place to be is MacGowans in Almerimar😁

Main Street

If that happens again you'll know you're dreaming.
I remember the crowing on here from some Down fans about that facile victory in 2012.
A decade of revenge is in order.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Main Street on June 23, 2017, 09:06:55 PM
If that happens again you'll know you're dreaming.
I remember the crowing on here from some Down fans about that facile victory in 2012.
A decade of revenge is in order.

revenge wont be an issue, we have no chance against yis. Sure we're only heading to armagh tomorrow night to get out of the house for the evening.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Main Street, when you refer to `that facile victory in 2012', is that the same game when Down came from behind after Monaghan led by nine points just before half time ? Monaghan have since gone to to a much higher level than Down, and we have been at a low ebb, particularly we were hammered at Clones last year, so it is a little cruel to suggest that our last really impressive USC win was somehow facile in nature.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Brilliat rendition or terrible, I'm siding with the former.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Monaghan dominant but very wasteful so far/

Captain Obvious

Nine minute wait for the first score of the game and then three scores come within a minute.

yellowcard