List your top 15 from 2001-17 -Survey closes on 28th April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 23, 2017, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2017, 05:23:45 PM
How about a thread for the top 15 from 1996-1999, Owen?
My 96-99 team:
Martin McNamara (could kick it really far)
Brian Lacey
Darren Fay
Sean Marty Lockhart
Finbarr Cullen
Seamus Moynihan
Sean óg de Paor
Kevin Walsh
Niall Buckley
Michael Donnellan
Trevor Giles
Anthony Tohill
Maurice Fitzgerald
Peter Canavan
Declan Browne

Would be a match for any other team of an other generation.

ONeill

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 25, 2017, 07:59:22 PM
The reason I didn't go for Canavan is that he wasn't at his best after 01, was still a great player but was nowhere near as explosive as he was in the 90s.

I didn't pick Giles for the same reason.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ohtoohtobe

An Fhairche Abu

County: Galway

Stephen Cluxton
Marc O'Sé
Barry Owens
Ryan McMenamin
Tomás O'Sé
Graham Canty
Philip Jordan
Darragh O'Sé
Seán Cavanagh
Paul Flynn
Declan O'Sullivan
Stephen O'Neill
Colm Cooper
Steven McDonnell
Bernard Brogan

Moynihan, Fay, Canavan, Fitzgerald etc. all left out because their best football was in the period before the introduction of the qualifiers.

Jinxy

Good point.
We should have a top 15 of the 'knock-out' era.
We're bound to have a good few lads on that team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2017, 12:22:31 PM
Good point.
We should have a top 15 of the 'knock-out' era.
We're bound to have a good few lads on that team.

And have Seafoid start another thread!

Champion The Wonder Horse

I love all this shite about Canavan being past his best by 2001. He first played on a Tyrone team that won a championship match in 1994 and whilst Tyrone were decent in 95 and 96, they were muck thereafter until 2001, when his red card arguably cost Tyrone a first All-Ireland. So one of the greatest players ever had an effective "great" career from 94-96. Nonsense. Canavan's contribution to Tyrone 01-05 can't be underestimated and he should be an automatic choice for every team in this thread.

Except mine.

Derry

S Cluxton
M O Se
G Canty
K Higgins
T O Se
S Moynihan
L Keegan
D O Se
B Fenton
P Flynn
T Giles
D Connolly
C Cooper
M Murphy
B Brogan

Will probably change tomorrow. Not sure about all three O Se brothers and Joyce.

In fact, I've gassed Joyce already for Giles.

The Trap

Stephen Cluxton
Keith Huggins
Seamus Moynihan
Graham Canty
Tomas O'Se
Kieran McGeeney
Dara O'Se
Sean Cavanagh
Brian Dooher
Declan O'Sullivan
Diarmuid Connolly
Colm Cooler
Michael Murphy
Peter Canavan

The Trap

tonto1888

Armagh

1. Cluxton
2. M O'Se
3. Moynihan
4. McMenamin
5. T O'Se
6. C O'Sullivan
7. Keegan
8. C Whelan
9. D O'Se
10. D Connolly
11. A Brogan
12. McDonald
13. Cooper
14.O'Neill
15. Canavan

Fuzzman

Interesting how many people choose Jordan before Conor Gormley. Is it for his attacking skills as I think most Tyrone fans would say block was one of our best ever defenders.

I laughed at Champion The Wonder Horse's post as I totally agree Canavan was still a great player from 2001-2005 despite his injuries. He made his debut for the seniors in the league in 1989 and championship the following year but had to wait 5 years for his first win in Ulster.

Good to see none of your Derry bias though influenced you over players like S.Cavanagh, Stevie O'Neill and Peter.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 27, 2017, 02:10:59 PM
Interesting how many people choose Jordan before Conor Gormley. Is it for his attacking skills as I think most Tyrone fans would say block was one of our best ever defenders.

I laughed at Champion The Wonder Horse's post as I totally agree Canavan was still a great player from 2001-2005 despite his injuries. He made his debut for the seniors in the league in 1989 and championship the following year but had to wait 5 years for his first win in Ulster.

Good to see none of your Derry bias though influenced you over players like S.Cavanagh, Stevie O'Neill and Peter.

I know its all about opinions and Gormley was superb but I would have Jordan on any team I picked. The most consistent performer on the Tyrone team throughout that era. I genuinely can't remember a game when I though Jordan underperformed and he really upped the ante in the biggest games - the 2005 final and 2008 semi final being particular highlights. I also remember being at a league game in Killarney around that time and a fairly weakened Tyrone team went down and beat Kerry, Jordan gave an absolute masterclass that day. Plus he upsets a lot of Armagh ones which is an added bonus!
That was never a square ball!!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 27, 2017, 02:33:32 PM

I know its all about opinions and Gormley was superb but I would have Jordan on any team I picked. The most consistent performer on the Tyrone team throughout that era. I genuinely can't remember a game when I though Jordan underperformed and he really upped the ante in the biggest games - the 2005 final and 2008 semi final being particular highlights. I also remember being at a league game in Killarney around that time and a fairly weakened Tyrone team went down and beat Kerry, Jordan gave an absolute masterclass that day. Plus he upsets a lot of Armagh ones which is an added bonus!

Upsets is not a strong enough term.

tonto1888

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 27, 2017, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 27, 2017, 02:33:32 PM

Upsets is not a strong enough term.

too right it isnt

Fuzzman

Was it just because he was from the Moy and went to school in Armagh, a bit like why the Derry wans aren't too fond out Dooher.

I wonder if the Armagh and Derry ones were to give us a top 5 of all time hated Tyrone players who would be in it.
Would PTG be No 1 though Mugsy must be well up there too.

Jordan certainly was Mr Consistency for a long time and he nearly always seem to get up for a point or two.