All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: cornetto on April 26, 2017, 03:12:27 PM
Looking back at the Dublin v donegal semi final,Dublins defensive shield is top class,every game on the way to the final,they have controlled the game.galway on the other hand beat leitrim in the first half,no show in the second 2pts I think.beat mayo well enough, sight of green and red .sligo stuck with them all the way,extra time the difference.Galway were well motivated for kerry,I just have a bad feeling galway may not reach the same level of performance,will be alot of long range shooting,in a tight game, whether it's daly for galway,or Callaghan for the dubs that show up  will be the winner.
I think the Sligo match was a wake up call.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

It's hard to know with young lads what way it's going to go on the day, the Kerry players didn't turn up for the semi-final against us although I think they were complacent on the day and got a bit of a shock after the ball was thrown in, I can't see any Galway football team going against the Dubs being complacent at least.

Dublin do seem to have been the more consistent team throughout the competition which bodes well for them on Saturday, certainly - and no more than our Seniors - the U21's have been excellent in patches, not so great in others. Given how Dublin set-up I don't know if there's going to be as much good football on show as in the Kerry game, Galway definitely won't get as many scoring opportunities.

At the end of the day it's more important for Galway to get 2-3 (ideally more of course) good Senior players out of this batch, but it would of course be great for Galway to win more silverware to add to what's been a successful Spring in both codes already.

Taylor

Given the way Galway set up if they switch of in this game the Dubs could do serious damage and put the game out of sight.

Was refreshing to see Galway open the game v Kerry and go at them. Kerry were completely shell shocked.

Would love to see them win but if you can get evens on Dublin you should snap it up

GalwayBayBoy

Dessie has been doing his homework anyway. Don't think this game will be nearly as open as the Kerry game which was basically both sides kicking long kick outs and whoever wins it in midfield goes on the attack. I think Dessie will get plenty behind the ball and utilise more short kicks outs. Especially if he feels Galway have an advantage in midfield.

QuoteDessie Farrell is wary of the challenge that Galway will present to his Dublin team in the last-ever All-Ireland U21 FC final this weekend.

The "refreshing" Tribesmen recovered from a five-point interval deficit against defending champions Mayo en route to Connacht glory and led by 1-7 to 0-1 after ten minutes as they stunned competition favourites Kerry in their All-Ireland semi-final. Farrell accepts that the Dubs are in for a real battle at Tullamore on Saturday evening:

"They raced out of the blocks against Kerry and showed just how strong a team they are," he tells the Dublin GAA website. "I have watched that match back a number of times and the more times I look at it, the more impressed I am by them.

"They are strong in every line of the pitch with two excellent wing backs and their midfield pairing offered a great platform against Kerry. They have some excellent forwards too and have put up some decent tallies in their campaign so far.

"Their style of play is refreshing for the modern game and they have a manner of playing that is really enjoyable to watch. All the players seem very comfortable on the ball and we are under no illusions as to the extent of the challenge that they will present to us."

Taylor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 26, 2017, 04:28:15 PM
Dessie has been doing his homework anyway. Don't think this game will be nearly as open as the Kerry game which was basically both sides kicking long kick outs and whoever wins it in midfield goes on the attack. I think Dessie will get plenty behind the ball and utilise more short kicks outs. Especially if he feels Galway have an advantage in midfield.

QuoteDessie Farrell is wary of the challenge that Galway will present to his Dublin team in the last-ever All-Ireland U21 FC final this weekend.

The "refreshing" Tribesmen recovered from a five-point interval deficit against defending champions Mayo en route to Connacht glory and led by 1-7 to 0-1 after ten minutes as they stunned competition favourites Kerry in their All-Ireland semi-final. Farrell accepts that the Dubs are in for a real battle at Tullamore on Saturday evening:

"They raced out of the blocks against Kerry and showed just how strong a team they are," he tells the Dublin GAA website. "I have watched that match back a number of times and the more times I look at it, the more impressed I am by them.

"They are strong in every line of the pitch with two excellent wing backs and their midfield pairing offered a great platform against Kerry. They have some excellent forwards too and have put up some decent tallies in their campaign so far.

"Their style of play is refreshing for the modern game and they have a manner of playing that is really enjoyable to watch. All the players seem very comfortable on the ball and we are under no illusions as to the extent of the challenge that they will present to us."

Cliches & soundbites.

Well done Dessie  ::) ::)

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team v Dublin

1. Ronán Ó Beoláin (Mícheál Breathnach)

2. Liam Kelly (An Spidéal)
3. Séan Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
4. Rory Greene (Killannin)

5. Kieran Molloy (Corofin)
6. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)
7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)

8. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
9. Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)

10. Séan Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
11. Michael Daly - Capt. (Mountbellew/Moylough)
12. Paul Mannion (Kilconly)

13. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
14. Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew/Moylough)
15. Dessie Conneely (Maigh Cuilinn)

cornetto

Was wondering would Kelly the corner back be replaced,was exposed a few times against kerry,maybe nothing better available,hopefully he has a "stormer" sat.

ck

Good luck to Galway. I picked them at the start of the year to win Connacht but no-one saw them beating Kerry. My fear for Galway is that dublin will smother them defensively. There wont be anything like the space there was against Kerry.

Syferus

No offense to the hardcore in both countries that attend underage, but the only way this would be a lower attended AI final is if Cork were involved. In a way it's a pity that the grade didn't get to go out on a high but at least we might get a good match.

GaillimhIarthair

Really looking to the game this eve.  Some very talented players in both teams and hopefully they will have the opportunity to showcase their skills on this occasion.  Gaillimh abu.

galwayman

Best of luck to the Galway lads this evening.
Very tough game to call.
The Dubs will have a lot more bodies back than Kerry did the last day out.
In saying that we're well capable of doing the business.
Gaillimh abu

Captain Obvious

17 mins gone far from a classic thus far. Dublin leading 0-3 0-1 but wasteful should be further ahead.

thebuzz

Galway have been equally wasteful but the element of surprise they had against Kerry is gone.

thebuzz

The Galway keeper has kept them in it with two brilliant saves.