Leinster Semi Final 2008 Laois v Wexford

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 01, 2008, 05:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Who would have thought!
All the talk was of a Meath v Dublin Leinster Final...And how Laois wouldn't be good enough to beat Meath
Guess we'll never know now  :)

I only caught bits of Meath v Wexford on the internet but what i saw was two very different Wexfords..The were awful in the first half but pulled back a 10 point lead to win in the 2nd
I do think we should have enough to beat them but Wexford have been knocking on the door for a Leinster Final for the past 4 years so i would be worried alright that this might be their year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

wouldn't be so sure mate , they ain't half bad. i suppose dublin will be unbackable now, not a result that will dampen the hype unfortunately. this is the best chance wexford are ever gong to get.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on June 01, 2008, 05:17:07 PM
wouldn't be so sure mate , they ain't half bad. i suppose dublin will be unbackable now, not a result that will dampen the hype unfortunately. this is the best chance wexford are ever gong to get.

I not "so sure" thats why i said i be a bit worried this might be their year
On paper we are a better team and should win but i would never be as cocky to say we will win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

It's decision time for GAA supporters in the county, as they will be forced to opt for either attending the Féile na nGael or following the county senior footballers to Croke Park on June 22nd. With the Leinster Council insisting the game go ahead at 2pm that day, it is in direct conflict with the Division 1 and Division 2 Féile finals which are scheduled for 2pm also.

With the Laois v Wicklow game drawing an official attendance of 10,661 in Dr Cullen Park, and Wexford v Meath pulling in roughly the same crowd at the same venue, the decision has left many people around the county wondering about the wisdom of the timing, date and venue of the Leinster semi-final clash. It has also left the organizers of the Féile in a tricky situation, as many of those penciled in to steward at the games will now no longer be available to do so as they opt to either travel to Croke Park or watch the game on TV3.

Chairman of the Féile na nGael organising committee Tom Jones, believes both the Leinster semi-final and the Féile will suffer as a result of the fixture clash, "I think there will be no atmosphere at the senior game, there will probably only be a crowd of about 10,000 in a stadium built to take 90,000, so that's a pity for players and supporters alike" "The Leinster Council have given brilliant support to the Féile, and any help or facilities that could make available to us has been made available, but it's awkward for people who will have to chose which they want to attend, because there will be plenty of people who will have to do that."

TV3 are in their first year of broadcasting live games, with the Laois v Wexford clash part of the package of championship matches they are due to broadcast. TV3 got in on the act to try and upset RTE's monopoly of free to air live GAA games. With neither the time nor the venue likely to be changed, it does seem odd that anybody with the interests of promoting the national games would allow a county co-hosting the showpiece underage GAA competition force it's supporters to choose between attending that or going to a mostly empty stadium to attend a provincial semi-final.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

boro

Your right, a nice compact stadium like Wexford Park would be the ideal venue for the match ;)

boro

Looks like the replay of the Dublin v Wexford hurling match is going to be played at Croker next weekend with the football match. Should increase the crowd a bit anyway.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: boro on June 14, 2008, 08:24:28 PM
Looks like the replay of the Dublin v Wexford hurling match is going to be played at Croker next weekend with the football match. Should increase the crowd a bit anyway.

Football is on TV3 at 2pm so that should mean hurling is on after Football?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Kearns eager to make Laois a force for the future

-Irish Independent

Often blessed with talented footballers, Liam Kearns has made no secret of his desire to add some steel to the natural ability the current Laois squad undoubtedly possess.

It is an issue he has looked to address since taking the post back in September 2006 and pointed to last year's controversial Leinster final loss to Dublin as a prime example of that failing.

"We were too small — physically we were in trouble there," Kearns said.

"But we have been trying to build a team — and to do that in Division 1 wasn't easy but I was proud of the way the lads stood up to some of the best teams in the country."

That League campaign may have ended in relegation but Laois are undoubtedly building a team for the future. They started with six debutants against Wicklow last time out after Kevin Meaney replaced Padraig Clancy late on to add to the five new faces that had been named in the original team.

In keeping with the recent Laois trend, they have tasted success at underage level but Kearns believes that doesn't guarantee silverware at the senior grade.

"With all due respect to underage football, it just doesn't give you the experience you need for the championship. They have a good pedigree but it doesn't mean a thing (at senior) and it has been proven over and over again. All of those lads did well (against Wicklow) and we have a young, up-and-coming team. The average age of the squad is about 23 and the oldest are Tom Kelly and Joe Higgins at 29. Eight of the (Leinster title winning) 2003 team are gone for one reason or another."

Ahead

"I'm not saying that we can't beat Wexford or even go on and win a Leinster, but what I will say is that the best years are ahead of this side, there is no doubt about that," added Kearns.

The O'Moore County face Wexford in a Leinster semi-final for the second year in a row at Croke Park on Sunday and had a goal to spare (1-13 to 0-13) that day. Kearns described the Slaneysiders heroic comeback against Meath as "the greatest I have ever seen" and knows his side have their hands full.

"If we were playing Meath, they would be favourites. They (Wexford) are unbeaten all year and Jason Ryan has obviously done great work with them," he said.

"But I knew Wexford had beaten Meath the last four times they met and that we had a hard time against them last year. They are an experienced team who have been together for quite a while whereas we are a coming side."

Laois are looking to reach their fifth Leinster final in six years while this is also the fifth successive year Wexford have been to the last four — though they haven't reached a provincial decider since 1956.

Laois injury worries should have eased by throw-in with midfielder Padraig Clancy available to start again, but Brendan Quigley has not yet taken full part in training. However, MJ Tierney — who withdrew after just 20 minutes of the Wicklow match, having kicked two points — is touch and go for the weekend.

"We have only won one match and Michael Nolan made a few saves that kept us in it," Kearns reflected. "If he hadn't done that we could very well have lost. Now, we have to pick up and do it all again for the Wexford game."

-Irish Independent
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jinxy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 01, 2008, 05:58:24 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 01, 2008, 05:17:07 PM

I not "so sure" thats why i said i be a bit worried this might be their year
On paper we are a better team and should win but i would never be as cocky to say we will win

Dunno about that. You have the edge at midfield but for my money Wexford have the better forwards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

laoisgaa

Tierney ok for O'Moore's
By Cóilín Duffy - www.laois.stoked.ie

The Laois team to face Wexford at Croke Park in this Sunday's Leinster Championship semi-final shows one change from the side that beat Wicklow last time out.

Emo's Paul Lawlor replaces Colm Parkinson in attack, with talented midfielder Brendan Quigley still recovering from a work accident which ruled him out of the Wicklow clash.

Meanwhile free-taker Michael John Tierney who tore his hamstring in the early stages of that game and had to be withdrawn after just 20 minutes is fit to start and is named at.

Senior Championship debutants in the win over Wicklow, John O'Loughlin and Kevin Meaney continue to hold down their places in the midfield sector.

LAOIS (Leinster SF v Wexford): M Nolan; C Healy, M Timmons, J Higgins; T Kelly, D Rooney, P McMahon; K Meaney, J O'Loughlin; R Munnelly, B McCormack, B Sheehan; MJ Tierney, C Kelly (St. Joseph's), P Lawlor.

anportmorforjfc

Derry Daisy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 11, 2008, 04:14:35 PM
It's decision time for GAA supporters in the county, as they will be forced to opt for either attending the Féile na nGael or following the county senior footballers to Croke Park on June 22nd. With the Leinster Council insisting the game go ahead at 2pm that day, it is in direct conflict with the Division 1 and Division 2 Féile finals which are scheduled for 2pm also.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on the feile.  Laoislad our club (Slaughtneil, Co.Derry) are being hosted by Rathdowney/Errill, just wondered what kind of club they are and if they have a good wee team, any players to watch out for??  Hopefully it will be a great weekend.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Derry Daisy on June 18, 2008, 10:50:42 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 11, 2008, 04:14:35 PM

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on the feile.  Laoislad our club (Slaughtneil, Co.Derry) are being hosted by Rathdowney/Errill, just wondered what kind of club they are and if they have a good wee team, any players to watch out for??  Hopefully it will be a great weekend.

I sent you a pm
You'll Never Walk Alone.

redsetanta

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on June 18, 2008, 12:51:27 AM
who's favourites for this game?

Paddy Power have Laois @ evens...........Wexford @11/10

I think any real betting men will put a serious wad on Laois..............very good odds!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

laoisgaa

QuoteSorry for hi-jacking this thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on the feile.  Laoislad our club (Slaughtneil, Co.Derry) are being hosted by Rathdowney/Errill, just wondered what kind of club they are and if they have a good wee team, any players to watch out for??  Hopefully it will be a great weekend.

Ah the Féile - pity it's clashing with Sunday's games at Croke Park. I was looking forward to going to the finals on Sunday but going to take in as many games as I can over the weekend - I always get a real kick out of going to these games. I've even butterflies in my stomach here in anticipation of tomorrow's parade (and I'm 23!) - always a great event.