Derry Minor Hurlers

Started by Antrim Coaster, February 25, 2008, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Is that you Malachy?

Welcome to the Board. I think you're right about the powers that be in Derry.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 05, 2008, 11:48:46 AM
Boys, do you not understand, nobody cares about hurling in Derry, Seamus McCloy, county board, clubs, nobody. Why, because its not popular in Derry, just as road bowls isn't popular in Derry. The only ones who play hurling in Derry are football rejects and to suggest that they get parity of esteem with county footballers is is crazy. Hurling will never be a force in Derry.
that's as may be, but in an organisation which has just signed off on a 20m tv deal, are looking for 10 million for sponsorship rights for its main competitions, regularly fill their main stadium, pull in another 10m per annum from renting their ground to other sports - players at county level should not be stymied through lack of finances for equipment and other basic resources.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Tonesfirstandlast I'm assuming you made your "football rejects" comment to try and sitr things up as it is so pathetic it is unbeleivable. I think you will find that all the evidence suggests that good hurlers generally make good footballers due to their eye for the ball etc but the reverse is certainly not true.

The GAA was founded in 1884 to support the revival of hurling and ensure the promotion of our national game, Micheal Cusack and others would be turning in their graves at the attitude of the Derry CB and they have the nerve to call themselves GAA people or indeed Gaels for that matter.

Gnevin

If this is the attitude of the county board Derry will make no progress, Hurling involves allot of tireless work on the ground , clearly this isn't happening or supported. If i was a minor hurler in Derry i'd hang up my boots now.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on March 05, 2008, 03:20:34 PM
Tonesfirstandlast I'm assuming you made your "football rejects" comment to try and sitr things up as it is so pathetic it is unbeleivable. I think you will find that all the evidence suggests that good hurlers generally make good footballers due to their eye for the ball etc but the reverse is certainly not true.

The GAA was founded in 1884 to support the revival of hurling and ensure the promotion of our national game, Micheal Cusack and others would be turning in their graves at the attitude of the Derry CB and they have the nerve to call themselves GAA people or indeed Gaels for that matter.

Don't give me that crap about Michael Cusack and the GAA. Here in Derry, you follow Gaelic football and a few hurling. The hurlers should be able to stand on their own feet. Why should 5% get the same amount as 95%- Parity???? BTW, if croke park sent  some of that money to the clubs where the work is done and not all spent on county players and the county board.

Derry Daisy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 05, 2008, 03:58:44 PM
Don't give me that crap about Michael Cusack and the GAA. Here in Derry, you follow Gaelic football and a few hurling. The hurlers should be able to stand on their own feet. Why should 5% get the same amount as 95%- Parity???? BTW, if croke park sent  some of that money to the clubs where the work is done and not all spent on county players and the county board.

Please tell me your on the wind up >:( >:( >:(

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Derry Daisy on March 05, 2008, 04:22:41 PM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 05, 2008, 03:58:44 PM

Please tell me your on the wind up >:( >:( >:(

I am not any wine up and I'll tell you more, the majority of the county think the same but dont want to say because they are "gaa" men. And for Big Danny playing hurling, he wouldn't know the difference of a hurling stick from a longtail shuvel ;D

youngfella

I never heard such bollocks coming from a following of gaa. Has you ever seen Derry? There U-21s beat Antrim handy last year and run dublin close in the semi. St pats maghera would give most schools the country over a fair run in hurling. Its hateful ould c***ts like your tones that give your county a bad name. Hope you get dumped out of championship in the first round you depressing ****....
Pull hard and early

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Tonesfirstandlast to quote Arsene Wenger "there is no limit to people's intelligence or for that matter stupidity" I'm sure you'll guess which category you fall into!

Unless I'm mistaken Derry have won 1 All Ireland Senior title at Football hardly a great return for a county that devotes almost all its resources to football! Lot of great hurling people in Derry but their county board's attitude to hurling absolutely stinks, if I'm not wrong they actually suspended the last Derry representative on the Ulster Hurling committee as they didn't like the fact that he was updating everyone there on their antics!

Derry clubs have always held their own at senior level with both Lavey and recently Dungiven being unlucky to lose to Antrim teams that went on to hold their own against southern representation. In reality with the schools and underage structure they have Derry should be challenging Antrim regularly for Ulster titles at all levels and are far better placed to do so than Down and yet Down in the majority of cases have a stronger team at senior level thanks mainly to the three Ards clubs. Situation in Derry is a scnadal but no one in the corridors of power wants to force them to live up to their obilgations.

youngfella

I totally agree Pull. The way derry go about football you'd think there kerry. This situation should be brought to the full attention of the public. its unfair kids being punished for wanting to play hurling. ~corridors of power~ old footballers dreaming about the good old days
Pull hard and early

Aerlik

I have been harping on for years about the disgraceful attitude of the Derry CB towards our other national sport.  I experienced it first hand.  When we were training for the Ulster Minor and U-21 championship we never got a single practice match and were expected to go out and compete with an Antrim or Down team in the real thing.  The resources were never given to the hurlers.  The footballers however were treated totally the opposite.

Didn't Cass hurl for Derry too?  Max would know.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

youngfella

All the hard work there doing will the minor footballers is paying off, the seniors are expect to break into the top two... in ulster at any moment. Where as the competition they could win, if the board would do something about is going to waste because only one team take it seriously and win it easily. The hurling clubs of Derry need to be strong and loud. 
Pull hard and early

lynchbhoy

Completely agree with youlads and as Pull Hard says, the powers that be at the top end of the GAA dont want to know or address this situation , in spite of a supposed active campaign to put more resources into and improve hurling in weaker counties - head-in-the sand approach is scandalous and saddening.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 06, 2008, 11:08:23 AM
Completely agree with youlads and as Pull Hard says, the powers that be at the top end of the GAA dont want to know or address this situation , in spite of a supposed active campaign to put more resources into and improve hurling in weaker counties - head-in-the sand approach is scandalous and saddening.

go and do the work yourselves and stop looking for handouts from the footballers. Pay your own way.

Derry Daisy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 06, 2008, 11:55:31 AM
go and do the work yourselves and stop looking for handouts from the footballers. Pay your own way.

What makes you think its the footballers money, I'd have thought it was DERRY'S money which means it's available to everyone in DERRY GAA regardless of what the sport is??