Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2020, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on January 17, 2020, 11:27:20 AM
if the gaa are serious semi finals should be out of croke park.
Serious about what?

Geographically, Belfast doesn't lend itself well to hosting an All Ireland semi final.
It would also be an extremely rare occurrence that the attendance at an AI semi final would be low enough to be accommodated at Casement Park, at the proposed capacity. I imagine the GAA would take a lot of flak if they denied tens of thousands of fans the opportunity to attend a semi final involving their county by playing it in a smaller stadium in a northern corner of Ireland. Add to that the loss of revenue.

All in, I think it is pie in the sky stuff to suggest that AI semi finals could be played at Casement.

Geographically, Belfast doesn't lend itself well to hosting an Ulster semi final.

Saffrongael

I would say Gaa games will be second in line with concerts first in line
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2020, 03:51:59 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 18, 2020, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2020, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on January 17, 2020, 11:27:20 AM
if the gaa are serious semi finals should be out of croke park.
Serious about what?

Geographically, Belfast doesn't lend itself well to hosting an All Ireland semi final.
It would also be an extremely rare occurrence that the attendance at an AI semi final would be low enough to be accommodated at Casement Park, at the proposed capacity. I imagine the GAA would take a lot of flak if they denied tens of thousands of fans the opportunity to attend a semi final involving their county by playing it in a smaller stadium in a northern corner of Ireland. Add to that the loss of revenue.

All in, I think it is pie in the sky stuff to suggest that AI semi finals could be played at Casement.

Geographically, Belfast doesn't lend itself well to hosting an Ulster semi final.
That's a bit of a stretch but depending on the pairing, it could be true.

Donegal Tyrone, Cavan Armagh
Fermanagh Monaghan, Donegal Down

Last 2 years semis. Hardly ideal for both teams involved.

At a push, semis involving Antrim Down Tyrone and Derry are only suited to Casement semis.

smelmoth

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2020, 05:17:16 PM
It doesn't have to be a mid-point to be an acceptable venue though. Just as long as it's not a ridiculous trek.
6 of the 9 counties are within an hours drive from Belfast. I don't think that's an unacceptable journey to a game especially to play or spectate in a state of the art stadium.

Which 6 counties?

Crossmaglen, Teemore, Trillick, Steelstown, Attical are they within an hour?

BennyCake

It doesn't have to be a mid-point to be an acceptable venue though. Just as long as it's not a ridiculous trek.
6 of the 9 counties are within an hours drive from Belfast. I don't think that's an unacceptable journey to a game especially to play or spectate in a state of the art stadium.

Is Donegal Cavan in Belfast not an unacceptable trek for both? Or Fermanagh Monaghan? It's also unreasonable for when West Tyrone play North Derry.

Tony Baloney

Build it in the middle of Lough Neagh and it'll be central for most people.

armaghniac

Casement is ideal for
Down v Derry
Down v Antrim

pretty good for
Armagh v Down
Armagh v Derry
Down v Tyrone

not much use for

most teams v Cavan
most teams  v Donegal.
Fermanagh v Monaghan

and another problem is that Antrim simply don't bring crowd as some  of the above do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

In fairness Antrim games could be held in a phone box for all that turns up.

bannside

https://youtu.be/XrooZwU2Hh8

Youd be surprised at the support when it starts to come together.  Antrim is the biggest sleeping giant in the association, not something we are proud of, and a lot of good work is now going on to turn the tide that allows us to fulfil our potential. If Ulster GAA is looking for expedential growth then Belfast is the place to do it.

trailer

Quote from: bannside on January 21, 2020, 01:16:28 PM
https://youtu.be/XrooZwU2Hh8

Youd be surprised at the support when it starts to come together.  Antrim is the biggest sleeping giant in the association, not something we are proud of, and a lot of good work is now going on to turn the tide that allows us to fulfil our potential. If Ulster GAA is looking for expedential growth then Belfast is the place to do it.

I'm totally on board with Antrim upping their game. But they'd wanna get their fingers out. We've been hearing about this sleeping giant this 40 years. They can barely get a team out wearing all the same jerseys.

Armagh18

Quote from: smelmoth on January 18, 2020, 07:58:11 PM

Which 6 counties?

Crossmaglen, Teemore, Trillick, Steelstown, Attical are they within an hour?
Cross certainly is...

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 21, 2020, 06:32:35 PM
Cross certainly is...

You'd need a full hour and a minute or two more to drive to Belfast, unless you are a rulya altogether or one of these Creggan people that think they live in Cross.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2020, 12:54:35 PM

Stop being a dick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on January 22, 2020, 10:57:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2020, 09:37:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2020, 12:54:35 PM

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

Truth is that Tyrone are a single code county, who pay lip service to hurling and didn't start playing football till Mickey Harte took over
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea