Photography

Started by joebloggs, July 13, 2009, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebloggs

Anyone here photograph gaelic matches? Im starting to learn how to use a DSLR I have and wondering what various settings do people use to take good pictures?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: joebloggs on July 13, 2009, 03:29:22 PM
Anyone here photograph gaelic matches? Im starting to learn how to use a DSLR I have and wondering what various settings do people use to take good pictures?

Good question. I take photos for our website. I am not too sure of the specifics of my camera (I'll check and post later), but I'm sure with a bit of training the pics could be improved.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ziggysego

FoSB is a good man to ask about these. Some of his photos are excellent.
Testing Accessibility

Pangurban

You need to use a telephoto Lens aperture wide open and fast shutter speed

Aerlik

If you can get you hands on a telephoto lens that's good for a start.  I use a Tamron 28-200mm with my Canon 400DSLR and this is adequate for my needs at this stage, as it's easy to get up close to the action when you're pitch-side.  I use a combination of Av and Tv settings, but for freezing the action I can set about 1/500 to 1/1000.  Any faster and considering the lighting conditions in Ireland and you might end up with dark images.  You may even have to set one stop slower.   Over here in Oz 1/1000 is adequate.

One day I will justify buying a EOS 1D with a 600mm lens...one day.

Hope this helps.  It's so satisfying when a great shot is achieved.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

gerry

Quote from: Aerlik on July 14, 2009, 07:20:30 AM
If you can get you hands on a telephoto lens that's good for a start.  I use a Tamron 28-200mm with my Canon 400DSLR and this is adequate for my needs at this stage, as it's easy to get up close to the action when you're pitch-side.  I use a combination of Av and Tv settings, but for freezing the action I can set about 1/500 to 1/1000.  Any faster and considering the lighting conditions in Ireland and you might end up with dark images.  You may even have to set one stop slower.   Over here in Oz 1/1000 is adequate.

One day I will justify buying a EOS 1D with a 600mm lens...one day.

Hope this helps.  It's so satisfying when a great shot is achieved.

thats some price for a camera

Canon EOS 1D Mark III
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Aerlik

Like I said, Gerry, one day. :-\
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!