NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 21, 2019, 07:44:21 PM
Six changes to the Mayo team published for Saturday night but will that team start as selected?

1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
2. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis(C)
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Interesting team and I hope Caff can prove me wrong again as he did against Cavan as I thought he was finished at this level because of injuries.
I hope Hennelly can prove me wrong because I am always worried with him in the team! He just seems to have a fatal mistake in his locker every big game when the pressure is on and I think his kickouts are stylish looking but overrated!! I don't care that Clarkie's kickouts look like he hits them with a shovel, they tend to get to the man in Green and Red more often than not!
Will be watching how Ruane goes in the middle and I am really looking forward to how McDonagh, Reap and Treacy get on in the wide open spaces of Croker!!!

macdanger2

Decent enough team named but I think we will struggle in this one, the dubs have their holiday well out of their system by now and rarely lose at home. We have nothing to match Fenton/Howard in the middle even without cluxton to supply them. Hope I'm wrong but I can see us losing by 5-8 points

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 21, 2019, 09:37:28 PM
Six changes to the Mayo team published for Saturday night but will that team start as selected?

5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts

Interesting team and I hope Caff can prove me wrong again as he did against Cavan as I thought he was finished at this level because of injuries.
I hope Hennelly can prove me wrong because I am always worried with him in the team! He just seems to have a fatal mistake in his locker every big game when the pressure is on and I think his kickouts are stylish looking but overrated!! I don't care that Clarkie's kickouts look like he hits them with a shovel, they tend to get to the man in Green and Red more often than not!
Will be watching how Ruane goes in the middle and I am really looking forward to how McDonagh, Reap and Treacy get on in the wide open spaces of Croker!!!

Yeah. Be interesting to see how this goes.

On the goalkeeping thing, I'd say Horan is trading off Hennelly's gaffs against maybe better control of games with kick-outs and the long range frees. He's probably also hoping that with experience Bob might not make any more clangers!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: MayoBuck on February 21, 2019, 08:52:22 PM
Surprised Diarmuid and Kevin McLoughlin aren't there assuming they're fit? I would have kept Michael Plunkett at centre half back as well.

Surely Horan will still have his customary 2-3 changes before throw-in
Hasta la victoria siempre

Blowitupref

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 21, 2019, 11:10:29 PM
Surprised Diarmuid and Kevin McLoughlin aren't there assuming they're fit? I would have kept Michael Plunkett at centre half back as well.

Ya Horan is well known for that at this stage and I'll be surprised if he starts 4 inexperienced players against Dublin in Croke Park.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 21, 2019, 11:10:29 PM

He probably will and I still don't see why he should persist with this as there are few changes he could make anyway. On the positive side, he seems to be happy with the progress of the four relative newcomers.
All of them appear to be made of the right stuff too and, for the first time in years, Mayo appear to have some serious new talent emerging. Hope they keep up the good work!
Interesting also that none of them are backs.  Good forwards and hen's teeth are about equal in number when scarcity is mentioned.  I'd expect the Dubs to win once again but it's  really hard to predict what Mayo are capable of.
The backs are the old reliables but age may be a problem here. The same applies to Donie at midfield. So we will be heavily dependent on the forward, some old and some new, very new.
Hope Bob can avoid his customary clanger. I tend to keep the cheeks of me arse clenched from start to finish whenever he plays.  ;D
Arra, we will just have to wait and see...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on February 21, 2019, 11:03:06 PM

5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts

On the goalkeeping thing, I'd say Horan is trading off Hennelly's gaffs against maybe better control of games with kick-outs and the long range frees. He's probably also hoping that with experience Bob might not make any more clangers!

I understand the logic Moy but honestly  I think his kickouts are way overrated and so far in clutch situations he has crumbled a lot going back to minor!! I am thinking  back to Dublin 2013, Kerry 2014, Dublin replay 2015 & 2016!! All those days when the pressure was on his kickouts went south and I am not talking about one or two missed kickouts either!! Then he is soo vulnerable under the high ball too!!
The key for me is Clarkie hit a terrible kickout straight to Diarmuid  Connolly in 2016 the first day and bang a point the dubs go two ahead with 70 on the clock!! 3 mins later Connolly hits a wide and Clarkie threads the ball out on the 45 to a Mayoman with the Dubs pressed right up, pressure on All Ireland on the line and he finds his man which results in the equalising point!! Clarke misses pressure kickouts but he recovers Robbie unfortunately tightens up and regresses with pressure and teams all know that!! Robbies free are average enough and I wonder what his hit rate is? If I had to guess I would say it is 40%!! If Clarkie is done cause Horan can't  live with his kickouts then I would have rather seen O'Malley or Flanagan get a shot!!

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 22, 2019, 12:24:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 21, 2019, 11:03:06 PM

5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts

I understand the logic Moy but honestly  I think his kickouts are way overrated and so far in clutch situations he has crumbled a lot going back to minor!! I am thinking  back to Dublin 2013, Kerry 2014, Dublin replay 2015 & 2016!! All those days when the pressure was on his kickouts went south and I am not talking about one or two missed kickouts either!! Then he is soo vulnerable under the high ball too!!
The key for me is Clarkie hit a terrible kickout straight to Diarmuid  Connolly in 2016 the first day and bang a point the dubs go two ahead with 70 on the clock!! 3 mins later Connolly hits a wide and Clarkie threads the ball out on the 45 to a Mayoman with the Dubs pressed right up, pressure on All Ireland on the line and he finds his man which results in the equalising point!! Clarke misses pressure kickouts but he recovers Robbie unfortunately tightens up and regresses with pressure and teams all know that!! Robbies free are average enough and I wonder what his hit rate is? If I had to guess I would say it is 40%!! If Clarkie is done cause Horan can't  live with his kickouts then I would have rather seen O'Malley or Flanagan get a shot!!

Or Schlingermann? Unless he's been signed up by Boca Junior or something!
Look Crete, you don't need to explain it to me at all. Horan is going down this road though and he has seen what we all have seen. He's calling it. Not sure I would call it that way, but he is the man.

TheGreatest

I am sure the Mayo men would love a win here. 13 attempts an no wins, a poor return.

No matter the result, its arse boxing, only thing that matters is the super 8s onwards.

Hopefully an entertaining attacking game, which it usually is.

MayoBuck

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 22, 2019, 10:30:28 AM
I am sure the Mayo men would love a win here. 13 attempts an no wins, a poor return.

No matter the result, its arse boxing, only thing that matters is the super 8s onwards.

Maybe for Dublin and Kerry. The provincial championships mean a lot to other counties.

Rossfan

In Connacht and Ulster.
Meanwhile sadly Kerry and Dublin sleepwalk through a series of Challenge games officially titled as Munster and Leinster Championships.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Quote from: MayoBuck on February 22, 2019, 10:41:07 AM

Maybe for Dublin and Kerry. The provincial championships mean a lot to other counties.

That's what I meant, from a Dublin fan perspective anyway, the league is more important, enjoyable and competitive than Leinster.

If Mayo win, it only benefits Dublin later in the year, more sting in the tail.

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on February 22, 2019, 11:22:01 AM
In Connacht and Ulster.
Meanwhile sadly Kerry and Dublin sleepwalk through a series of Challenge games officially titled as Munster and Leinster Championships.
there are a lot of counties in leinster who would love a Provinciall title at this stage
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

It probably goes to show how over rated this Mayo team are/were having had such a long losing streak.

Itchy

Massive game for Cavan on Sunday. If we are to have any chink of light to escape relegation we have to do what we have really struggled to do in the last number of years and beat Roscommon. Good news is Gerry Smith is likely to play some part, probably the best player on any of those U21 teams but who hasnt really had a consistent run at senior. Gearoid McKiernan and Caoimhin O Reilly back training too after injury. We've put in respectable enough performances for 30 mins in each of our 1st 3 matches, now its time to really go for it. I hope it is in them to do that.