NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

We can lament the defensive setup (KW rightly gets some flak however anyone who was up in Antrim in 2012, had to witness the Mayo shellacking in 2013 or one of the many, many one point championship defeats etc. needs to admit that at least the county team is no longer in the gutter) but a bigger issue is that Galway's chance conversion rate simply isn't good enough, lot of talk about the "potential" of the forwards but the fact is they require way too many chances to kick a winning score total, that must change for Galway to in any way improve on last year. Look at the Kerry game last year, they should have beaten them out the gate well before the injury time goal sealed it.
In comparison Dublin are a model of economy with their shot to score ratio on top of all the other great things they do.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 05, 2019, 04:07:34 PM
We can lament the defensive setup (KW rightly gets some flak however anyone who was up in Antrim in 2012, had to witness the Mayo shellacking in 2013 or one of the many, many one point championship defeats etc. needs to admit that at least the county team is no longer in the gutter) but a bigger issue is that Galway's chance conversion rate simply isn't good enough, lot of talk about the "potential" of the forwards but the fact is they require way too many chances to kick a winning score total, that must change for Galway to in any way improve on last year. Look at the Kerry game last year, they should have beaten them out the gate well before the injury time goal sealed it.
In comparison Dublin are a model of economy with their shot to score ratio on top of all the other great things they do.
Dubs skill level is much higher than most teams
Kick with both feet, pass off either hand, step off either foot

Plus maximise every advantage going - 3/4 steps extra while bouncing the ball, cutting in front of chasing player while soloing or running, setting screens to get space to shoot.
All highly coachable

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheMaster on February 05, 2019, 11:42:48 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2019, 11:22:00 AM
Quote from: TheMaster on February 05, 2019, 09:40:36 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2019, 08:13:47 AM
The Dubs haven't been using the mark as Gavin knows come the championship they can handpass and solo teams to death on the break

Teams  are resorting to hand passing as teams like Roscommon  sticking 15 bodies behind with little ambition of attacking. If you  ever played football you know pointless into 3 full forwards against 14 full backs. Hard to implement zoning players in a half and wouldn't at club level.
you get the ball up the field quicker than they can drop 15 behind the ball
I have coached to quite a high level

I doubt that know. Majority of teams keep at least 10 bodies behind ball regardless if defending or attacking.  Kerry have the best footballers and they can't beat blanket defence
Donegal and Tyrone won sam Maguire with blanket defence but  they had top inside forwards .
Fair enough.
Not many teams winning titles with 15 lads behind the ball though, like you said

sans pessimism

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 05, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2019, 02:40:23 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 05, 2019, 12:08:06 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2019, 11:04:00 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 04, 2019, 03:05:23 PM
Are you expecting Galway to reach the All Ireland final then Maroon Manc?

Not at all. I wouldn't be as negative on the team as many Galway supporters appear to be but since Kevin Walsh there has been slight improvements every year come the championship. Given Silke & McDaid are back and that Cooke looks to have improved too its not unreasonable to expect an improvement on last year and that doesn't necessarily mean getting to a final.

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought in which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.

Wouldn't be as harsh on Kevin Walsh as some others, will reserve judgment until the championship but can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. I think Galway have the players to play in a more attacking way once everyone is fit although if Galway had opened up against them on Saturday the scoreline would have been a lot more embarrassing then it was given the players available.

I'd like to see Kevin Walsh be a little less pragmatic in his approach, only time will whether he can be.

Kevin is an accountant so it's no wonder he's so fond of mentioning the bloody end of year accounts so often. Most accountants I know would be fairly risk averse so I wouldn't expect him to change. He replaced Tally with Kevin Stritch who is probably best known for his work with Castleknock in Dublin and they were a very defensive outfit. I think Walsh is who he is at this point. A conservative coach.

That said due to circumstances it's probably unfair to judge him on the league this year. He's pretty much come out and said they are well behind last year's work and are only looking to stay up by any means necessary. Still if they go down there will be serious pressure on them to perform in the Summer. You have John Divilly up at UCD and PJ with the U-20's so there are some of his former teammates knocking around that might become more attractive propositions if he has a bad year.
I thought he is an ex-Garda that sells insurance?
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

spuds

Quote from: sans pessimism on February 06, 2019, 11:06:28 AM

Not at all. I wouldn't be as negative on the team as many Galway supporters appear to be but since Kevin Walsh there has been slight improvements every year come the championship. Given Silke & McDaid are back and that Cooke looks to have improved too its not unreasonable to expect an improvement on last year and that doesn't necessarily mean getting to a final.

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought in which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.

Wouldn't be as harsh on Kevin Walsh as some others, will reserve judgment until the championship but can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. I think Galway have the players to play in a more attacking way once everyone is fit although if Galway had opened up against them on Saturday the scoreline would have been a lot more embarrassing then it was given the players available.

I'd like to see Kevin Walsh be a little less pragmatic in his approach, only time will whether he can be.

Kevin is an accountant so it's no wonder he's so fond of mentioning the bloody end of year accounts so often. Most accountants I know would be fairly risk averse so I wouldn't expect him to change. He replaced Tally with Kevin Stritch who is probably best known for his work with Castleknock in Dublin and they were a very defensive outfit. I think Walsh is who he is at this point. A conservative coach.

That said due to circumstances it's probably unfair to judge him on the league this year. He's pretty much come out and said they are well behind last year's work and are only looking to stay up by any means necessary. Still if they go down there will be serious pressure on them to perform in the Summer. You have John Divilly up at UCD and PJ with the U-20's so there are some of his former teammates knocking around that might become more attractive propositions if he has a bad year.
Ex builder also?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Crete Boom

Quote from: spuds on February 06, 2019, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: sans pessimism on February 06, 2019, 11:06:28 AM

Ex builder also?

He was both a Garda then a builder/developer but is now a QFA not an accountant, QFA qualification is for anyone involved in selling/advising on retail financial products so fair play to him to still be pursuing career opportunities outside of the GAA.
Anyway in my opinion it has sweet f**k all to do with whether he is a good/bad/conservative/expansive manager.

An Fhairche Abu

Could any Monaghan poster give a steer on the car parking situation in Inniskeen on Sunday?

Boycey

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 07, 2019, 01:48:33 PM
Could any Monaghan poster give a steer on the car parking situation in Inniskeen on Sunday?

Huge car park at ground will probably cater for the expected crowd I'd say. Also side of road parking and you won't have to walk far. If youre in the back of carpark it could take 15/20 mins to get away but nothing major.

Blowitupref

Mayo team for Saturday night.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
9. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy(C)
12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
13. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
15. Colm Moran - Westport
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Randy

Interesting line up. I thought Colm moran was excellent a blow in carrick in the FBD but he's a few years of S&C ahead of him before he will be ready for serious football. Good prospect though. Conor loftus must be dropped altogether is he?

Farrandeelin

2 or 3 last chance saloon players there. Hopefully they realise it before the saloon takes off. Maybe Coen is better off in the corner back position. Maybe Caff will come good, maybe Regan will shoot the lights out and it won't be a once off. Happy with the rest though. I'm happy with the captaincy decision for the night also.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2019, 10:47:42 PM
2 or 3 last chance saloon players there. Hopefully they realise it before the saloon takes off. Maybe Coen is better off in the corner back position. Maybe Caff will come good, maybe Regan will shoot the lights out and it won't be a once off. Happy with the rest though. I'm happy with the captaincy decision for the night also.

If only there was a credible option to Clarkie and then all of you out in bandit country would be happy even though you couldn't do what the mighty men from the Stephenites did in 2005?  ;D ;D

Rossfan

I'm getting worried about Sunday as the Tymoanies are all gone very quiet ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 07, 2019, 11:42:49 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2019, 10:47:42 PM

If only there was a credible option to Clarkie and then all of you out in bandit country would be happy even though you couldn't do what the mighty men from the Stephenites did in 2005?  ;D ;D

;D yere an awful sensitive bunch altogether across the little streameen. I gave up defending Caff until he came back from injury, although in fairness you gotta give him massive credit for sticking with it. As I said, I hope they all have blinders.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tonto1888

Connolly back for Dublin. Sherlock gone. Are these reports true?