Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 30, 2019, 04:37:26 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2019, 02:23:48 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on January 30, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2019, 01:03:36 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on January 29, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 29, 2019, 01:17:34 PM
Couldn't make the game but did Galway make use of the mark at all against Cavan?

Not really, I think Cunningham might have caught one but played on, can't be certain. If he did it was by accident rather than any plan. Comer is made for the mark but doesn't look like we'll be paying much heed to it whenever he's back.

No point in putting any effort into it considering it won't be around come championship.

There were 3 or 4 clear mark's by Galway that the ref didnt blow for. It's like he wasnt aware of the rule, although he may just not have whistled in play on opportunities such as Heaney's goal chance. Cooke was attempting to "play quarterback" and set up marks with kicks in but badly misjudged them on a couple of occasions straight to defenders. Comer/Burke, with Conroy providing, would look made for winning marks but as you say i'd say Walsh has put zero stock on the new rules with championship getting the full focus this year

I like Cooke but he gives the ball away too easily, I've seen him kick scores with both feet from huge distances but then again I've seen him miss right in front of the posts like he did against Kerry last July. Playing Sigerson is getting in the way too. Kieran Molloy too can be a bit wasteful in possession too, needs to cut that out as he's got every attribute to be a brilliant wing back.

Cooke is super talented. Can fetch high ball and kick huge points with both feet. Fairly mobile too. Can get up and down the field. Just a bit lax at times with his distribution but easy to forget that these are still young lads and have a few rough edges to knock off yet.

I think his ceiling is probably higher than any other Galway midfielder because of his natural ability. I mean Tom Flynn (who has been great the past year) can't kick scores like Cooke can. Just up to him to put in the work now.

Flynn's a much better player than he's given credit for, have seen him at Intermediate kicking incredible scores and he was a speedy natural forward when younger apparently. It's like he's told not to shoot for Galway. Granted probably not as much natural football ability as Cooke, who's somewhat similar to Conroy, for better and worse

larryin89

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 30, 2019, 01:37:46 PM
Is charging with the elbow straight out in front not endangerment as is constantly done by Aiden O Shea but he is never pulled for it, or maybe his elbow has a soft centre like the rest of this rhubarb team ::)

Same Soft centre that's beat your hardy bucks everytime in both league and championship.  Shameful record
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Blowitupref

3 changes to the Galway team that started against Cavan. Out RuairĂ­ Lavelle,Liam Silke,Ian Burke and In Maghnus Breathnach,Gareth Bradshaw,Barry McHugh
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Surprised Cooke is starting. He must be wrecked. Been playing midweek and weekend for the past few weeks.

Wynne is a worry. Not sure he's quite up to this level of football but limited options with players unavailable. Hope I'm wrong.

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 01, 2019, 09:45:16 PM
Surprised Cooke is starting. He must be wrecked. Been playing midweek and weekend for the past few weeks.

Wynne is a worry. Not sure he's quite up to this level of football but limited options with players unavailable. Hope I'm wrong.
Agreed he's not an intercounty standard defender unfortunately.

Duine Eile

Not convinced by Duggan either to be honest, he was functional last year but that's about it. Hopefully Breathnach has one of his good games, he's capable of having absolute stinkers. Think we'll see changes to be honest. McHugh wasn't fit enough for the bench last week but he's ready to start against the Dubs this week? Could be a change there.

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 01, 2019, 10:16:39 PM
Not convinced by Duggan either to be honest, he was functional last year but that's about it. Hopefully Breathnach has one of his good games, he's capable of having absolute stinkers. Think we'll see changes to be honest. McHugh wasn't fit enough for the bench last week but he's ready to start against the Dubs this week? Could be a change there.

What did Lavelle do wrong to lose his place? Given his most recent big game appearance, Magnus doesn't inspire total confidence. As usual, that Galway team is so mixed up they might actually confuse the Dubs so much into defeat.

galwayman

Quote from: mouview on February 02, 2019, 01:45:46 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on February 01, 2019, 10:16:39 PM

What did Lavelle do wrong to lose his place? Given his most recent big game appearance, Magnus doesn't inspire total confidence. As usual, that Galway team is so mixed up they might actually confuse the Dubs so much into defeat.
Pretty sure it's a case of giving Breathnach a chance as opposed to Lavelle being dropped.
O Beolain played against the Dubs in Pearse last year.

Rossfan

I suppose we have very little hope of overturning Monaghan.
Especially with Donie Smith out leaving us without our 3 class forwards of the last few years.
Hopefully with our emerging defensive improvenents we can keep McManus from running riot but we'll likely fall short at the other end.
Just saw on stolen-sheep we're without 17 players who played in last year's Championship between injury, retirement,  travel, hurling and maybe not invited back.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin

1. Evan Comerford (Ballymun Kickhams)
2. Eric Lowndes (St Peregrine's)
3. Michael Fitzsimons (Cuala)
4. Eoin Murchan (Na Fianna)
5. James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
6. Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
7. John Small (Ballymun Kickhams)
8. Brian Fenton (Raheny)
9. Michael Darragh Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda's)
10. Brian Howard (Raheny)
11. Cormac Costello (Whitehall Colmcille)
12. Niall Scully (Templeogue Synge Street)
13. Paul Mannion (Kilmacud Crokes)
14. Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams)
15. Ryan Basquel (Ballyboden St Enda's)

Blowitupref

Macauley,Howard not starting for Dublin, Bugler,Flatman starting instead.  Galway Duane,Darcy starting for Galway instead of McHugh,Wynne.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Crete Boom

Great start by the tribesmen, playing great football.

Blowitupref

Galway tactically well set up so far. 15 mins played Dublin 0-2 Galway 0-3