NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: TheClubman on January 28, 2019, 03:02:41 PM
You know with all the talk of rules the highlights and games I saw over the weekend confirmend what I've always thought. If we can't enforce the rules about the basics of the game then we've no business tinkering with other rules. Reape's goal for Mayo - took at least a dozen steps before playing the ball, turning and shooting. None of the commentators on Eir said a word during the game or during the analysis. Neither did Gooch or Mr Rules himself on RTE last night. Everyone just accepts it now.

The handpass is another one. I would say that 30-40% (and perhaps more) of handpasses are fouls. Lads are just throwing the ball.

Proper enforcement of these two rules would change the game for the better in my view.

agree on both counts. I took a bit of stick on my gaa whatsapp group on saturday night about this. I called it straight away but then I got all the "anti Mayo" accusations. It was blatent and obvious and I couldn't believe that there was no comment (for the record i made it 10 steps :-)) Monaghan's 2nd goal yesterday was dodgy as well but again not a word.

seafoid

Tyrone are favs to beat Mayo

Does that sound right?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on January 28, 2019, 03:37:41 PM

Does that sound right?

Probably playing at home and beat Mayo well last year in Castlebar.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Crete Boom

Does that sound right?

In fairness to Tyrone they have beaten us in 4 out of the last 5 meetings in the league so they should be favorites. They hammered us in McHale park last year in the league.

Manning18

Does that sound right?

The odds are saying the two teams are near equal. Home adv...

Captain Obvious

Armagh could easily have beaten Tyrone in the McKenna cup final and Kerry gave them a good beating yesterday. I also believe Mayo beat Tyrone in Omagh on their last visit. Mayo to win by 1-3 pts at 7/2 are tasty odds.

larryin89

We were steeped in luck to beat Roscommon , goal was never a goal ,the over carrying was ridiculous . Not a hope we will manage Tyrone, be very lucky to keep it down to single digit defeat .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on January 28, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
You know with all the talk of rules the highlights and games I saw over the weekend confirmend what I've always thought. If we can't enforce the rules about the basics of the game then we've no business tinkering with other rules. Reape's goal for Mayo - took at least a dozen steps before playing the ball, turning and shooting. None of the commentators on Eir said a word during the game or during the analysis. Neither did Gooch or Mr Rules himself on RTE last night. Everyone just accepts it now.

The handpass is another one. I would say that 30-40% (and perhaps more) of handpasses are fouls. Lads are just throwing the ball.

Proper enforcement of these two rules would change the game for the better in my view.

agree on both counts. I took a bit of stick on my gaa whatsapp group on saturday night about this. I called it straight away but then I got all the "anti Mayo" accusations. It was blatent and obvious and I couldn't believe that there was no comment (for the record i made it 10 steps :-)) Monaghan's 2nd goal yesterday was dodgy as well but again not a word.
Is there something dodgy about Shane Carey's goal? If there is, it's very marginal. The best angle is from behind the goal
https://t.co/z1tvoeISjM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2019, 05:57:04 PM

Is there something dodgy about Shane Carey's goal? If there is, it's very marginal. The best angle is from behind the goal
He did a Joe Sheridan on it.
Threw it into the goal

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 28, 2019, 07:55:34 PM

He did a Joe Sheridan on it.
Threw it into the goal

Definitely looked like he briefly caught and chucked it rather than palmed or punched it in.

straightred

I was down that end and it seemed like a bit of a push rather than a palm. No worse than the push off that Scully gave for his goal and it would have been harsh to disallow either or both

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on January 28, 2019, 08:29:03 PM

I was down that end and it seemed like a bit of a push rather than a palm. No worse than the push off that Scully gave for his goal and it would have been harsh to disallow either or both
In real time it's so marginal, it's not worth the bother of a remark, not that I'm a fan of the slapped/palm push goal.
Cooper, before he flattened Carey (penalty?), had a birds eye view and didn't complain.

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2019, 10:36:33 AM
Quote from: galwayman on January 28, 2019, 03:46:51 AM
Was Wynne injured or was it a tactical switch?

He didn't look injured leaving the field and wasn't involved in any heavy collision prior to the switch, you'd have to assume it was a tactical move made by the sideline

Did he not get tangled with Lavelle and one of the Cavan forwards a few minutes before he came off? That's what I had presumed but maybe it was just tactical. Great to get the 2 points, with the team named Friday night I wasn't too optimistic but when the changes were announced things started to look up. On the positive side O'Donnell, Flynn, Burke and Silke all played well along with Heaney and Sean Kelly. On the negative our backs did a serious amount of fouling, any time SA Ceallaigh went to tackle he fouled the man, we lack a consistent free taker, Shane Walsh was extremely wasteful again yesterday. Duggan also seems to be having second season syndrome, he's lucky he didn't see red yesterday. Kerin also needs to learn to shut up and mind his business. Our sideline don't seem to have moved on from last year at all, were at the same slow, snails pace build up instead of using the speed of lads like Kelly, Heaney, Walsh, McDaid we're passing laterally around midfield or worse again backwards. We'll hardly see the Corofin lads next weekend I'd say, we badly need Comer and Daly back in.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2019, 11:24:31 PM
In relation to a black card offence, it's blatantly obvious that it matters where the infraction takes place. McManus upending a player on the ball, versus a provoked McManus upending a player away from the action is not the same officiating scenario in the GAA. Both Cooper and McManus were involved in an off the ball incident, a tumble in the grass. If the ref deemed it serious enough, it was either a yellow or red card offence. The ref dealt with the incident appropriately and in accordance with the rules.

As far as I know, there is no stipulation in either the 'deliberate pull down' or the 'trip' black card rule that the offence be on the ball or even that the offence be anywhere near the play.

Seamie O Shea got a black card half way through an All-Ireland Semi final even though the ball was nowhere near the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMVvRJCnvQ