Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtown

it was reborn tonight in the athletic grounds!!  ;)

Eamonnca1

Last time I went along with the Treacy's (and this was a long time ago, about 20 years or more) the attitude seemed to be that they were expecting to lose, they lost their game, and afterwards the speech on the bus back to Lurgan was about how that's what they expected to happen and all the players seemed to just laugh the whole thing off.  I don't know what the ethos of the club is like now but in them days the attitude was very lackadaisical.  Has a bit of local competition with Portadown helped to get some rivalry going and encouraged them to try harder?  I know they always had a decent underage setup, so the future existence of the club shouldn't be in doubt. The only question is will the youngsters grow to be cynical about their chances when they get older and will the rot set in?

And before anybody jumps at me for blaming the club, I'm not saying that's the only problem.  I also remember a national league inter-county hurling match being moved to a different pitch with less then 24 hours notice because of a scheduling conflict with some club football match in Davitt Park. 

Anyroad.  What happened tonight in the Athletic Grounds?

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: downtown on August 24, 2012, 11:17:49 PM
it was reborn tonight in the athletic grounds!!  ;)

It certainly was, I think both teams will be glad the the Cuchulianns had last week video recorded and not this week. Long time since I seen such a barny like that.

RealSpiritof98

Any word or repercussions on the Battle of the Athletic Grounds, funny if there was a camera at the match the BBC execs would had salivated at the thought.

Applesisapples

No word yet. That said it was very much handbags until the Keady manager had a go at Middletowns manager who was actually trying to calm things down. It was disgusting to see Middletown subs and Keady fans jump the fence. I had the kids with me, no example to be set.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 30, 2012, 03:28:22 PM
No word yet. That said it was very much handbags until the Keady manager had a go at Middletowns manager who was actually trying to calm things down. It was disgusting to see Middletown subs and Keady fans jump the fence. I had the kids with me, no example to be set.

yeah, have to agree, although I do like to watch an owl dust up, its certainly not good for the kids. It really is a miracle no-one got seriously hurt because when the handbags as you call it turned into a fracas it was out of control.

Anyway apples Middletown will be big favs after stuffing the cuchulainns last year.  :'( But I think we will have maybe 7 possibly 8 different starters than last year and will give then a run for their money  8)

Tony Baloney

Club hurling looked in decent shape today. Hard fought match with Middletown winning by a point. Was tight the whole way through but some of the Middletown striking and shooting was poor which didn't help their cause.

Orchardman

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 23, 2012, 10:23:09 AM
The Senior and Junior Club SF's took place last weekend, no mention on this board and even on the County Forum there was only a few posts. Derrynoose seemed to have an easy win over Lurgan and having done likewise to Portadown in the previous round it would appear that hurling in North Armagh is in trouble. That said Keady and Middletown fought out a draw in the Senior and replay this Friday. Is noone interested in the small ball any more?

Talk about no hurling talk on the board meaning lack of interest? maybe so, but we are a football mad county and yet look at this: football championship on this weekend and no post since 17th august. Also there has been only 2 pages of posts since the league began in april. Go figure

mackers

This Armagh Club Section has become much quieter because everybody is on the Orchard County forum discussing club football.  Plenty of debate on there.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

emainmacha

For those interested in Hurling, photos of the county final

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16144312@N07/sets/72157631391155722/detail/

Can't help but wonder had the game not been played opposite an All Ireland semi final would there have been a better crowd

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Hearing reports that there was another row last night during an u16 hurling match with one player hospitalised as a result - not good
Its all about the Hurling.

Oraisteach

Pardon my ignorance, but what two clubs are at odds.  Is it Keady and Middletown?

emainmacha

Photos Pearse Og Armagh V Round Towers Ballymacnab

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16144312@N07/sets/72157631504035154/detail/

Got pics of Sardfiels game to sort out yet, will post a link later in week when get look at them

Onion Bag

What was the score in the Annaghmore v Tullysaran game,

am i right in saying that Tullysaran have never won a championship?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

RealSpiritof98

Dont know the score but they wont be winning one this year