American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I'm sure there is another thread for this.

Gabriel_Hurl

Jeezus - the Giants OL are a scour  :-[

AZOffaly

Yeah lads. f**k off out of here with the Trump stuff. This is one of the few threads I still enjoy in here. And just because he makes a tit of himself, and has been embarrassed by what the players responded with, there's no need to pollute this thread.

J70

There's been relatively little comment on Trump's lamentation of the attempts to make the game safer.

In the same week that it comes out that Aaron Hernandez's brain was fucked up from CTE and when evidence shows that the vast majority of NFL players show evidence of the same.

But yeah, when it comes down to it, the man is just a tit.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on September 25, 2017, 01:56:18 PM
There's been relatively little comment on Trump's lamentation of the attempts to make the game safer.

In the same week that it comes out that Aaron Hernandez's brain was fucked up from CTE and when evidence shows that the vast majority of NFL players show evidence of the same.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think the stats I saw was that the vast majority of NFL players tested showed evidence. But they were tested because they exhibited symptoms in later life, or died in non-natural circumstances. The test data was predisposed to find a high level of occurrence. (I'm not saying that a high percentage wouldn't be seen if they tested all ex-NFL players, but I don't think that sort of test has been carried out).

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 25, 2017, 01:56:18 PM

I'm not sure that's the case. I think the stats I saw was that the vast majority of NFL players tested showed evidence. But they were tested because they exhibited symptoms in later life, or died in non-natural circumstances. The test data was predisposed to find a high level of occurrence. (I'm not saying that a high percentage wouldn't be seen if they tested all ex-NFL players, but I don't think that sort of test has been carried out).

Yes, you are correct. I should have phrased that differently.

110 of 111 pros tested had the condition. That's 99%. http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2645104

The total sample was 202, covering people who played at all levels. 87% of those showed it. When people from other fields where head trauma and hits occur, such as the military, are included, the same patterns show up.

As you say, there is bias in the sample in terms of the selection (by necessity given that CTE can only be diagnosed post-mortem), but the evidence clearly suggests a relationship between CTE and head trauma and a huge reason for all players (and parents!) to be concerned, given the extent to which head hits occur in the sport, and it is highly irresponsible (if not surprising when it comes to him) for someone in Trump's position to mock the belated recognition of the issue on the part of the NFL, especially on the basis of what he perceives as "manliness".

Of course, it being Trump, some of his motivation is probably down to the fact that his perceived nemesis, Obama, spoke out on football and head injuries and promoted research on the issue.

He is that morally bankrupt a person.

AZOffaly

Yep, I agree with all that. I just wanted to make sure it was framed in context.

As for Trump, I've given up on him. He's a child.

As for CTE, yes, the NFL has to do something. Enforcing tackling rather than encouraging just hitting would be a start.

Rugby needs to be careful as well. That game has morphed into a hitting rather than tackling game as well.

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 09:57:21 AM
Quote from: TabClear on September 24, 2017, 07:38:20 PM
just seen one of the most unbelievable f**k ups I've ever seen on a sports field! Chicago :-\ :-\ :-\

He's a lucky boy that the Bears went on to win. Hard to forgive something like that.

Too right. Reminded me of the Willie Le Roux ghost try against Leinster earlier this year although I think this is worse. WTF goes through your head to stop a couple of yards short.

The commentary was hilarious with various pundits trying to work out if it was a touchdown, a safety,halftime, time over etc .

p.s. Totally agree about the Trump thing. I know its come about as a result of his comments on NFL but the last couple of pages of this thread would be better of in the car wreck that is the US Politics thread. MOst of the "debate" on here has nothing to do with the NFL specifically.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 02:22:33 PM
Yep, I agree with all that. I just wanted to make sure it was framed in context.

As for Trump, I've given up on him. He's a child.

As for CTE, yes, the NFL has to do something. Enforcing tackling rather than encouraging just hitting would be a start.

Rugby needs to be careful as well. That game has morphed into a hitting rather than tackling game as well.

What about soccer?

I've read about concerns that a few of the Liverpool side from the 60s (think Ron Yeats and Tommy Smith were mentioned) have been stricken, relatively young, with Alzheimers or some other form of dementia, and some think it might be related to heading the ball.

The balls were certainly heavier (especially when wet!) back in those days.

I remember having my bell rung quite a few times myself, either heading a long kick-out in midfield or getting an elbow going up for the ball (and that was mostly in the most amateur of amateur Dublin soccer in the 90s!).

Especially for younger kids - heading the ball is all about timing and learning how to do it properly and not taking it right on the top of the head.

I do know that in the US, to bring down concussion rates, they don't allow heading at all until kids reach 12 or so, and even then it is limited.

The Iceman

crazy weekend of plays and finishes - FG for the Eagles to win in the last second  - unreal - even the Giants comeback and OBJ's antics.
The bears LOL what was that clampet thinking! Week 3 and NFL is getting enjoyable. Started watching college football a bit, slowly coming around.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

foxcommander

Well done President Trump - call out those flag haters.

If you saw anything this weekend it is the complete capitulation of celebrities who are afraid of being labelled. Honestly sickening.
Those who take the knee or sit during a national anthem are disrespectful and in reality you are telling the USA that you hate cops. Now you've bullied your colleagues into doing the same or risk fragmenting every single NFL team and upsetting the gravy train. There is no question of that. If you want to protest then find another way. Your point has been made. All you are doing now is prolonging something divisive.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Gabriel_Hurl

Be a good lad and shut the f**k up fox  - cheers

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 01:48:49 PM
Yeah lads. f**k off out of here with the Trump stuff. This is one of the few threads I still enjoy in here. And just because he makes a tit of himself, and has been embarrassed by what the players responded with, there's no need to pollute this thread.

And then offer your opinion on said Mr Trump a few posts later.

I brought it up as it was clearly the biggest news item in US Sports over the weekend.

Denn Forever

Is it true that the singing  of the National anthem before NFL game is only a relative recent tradition (less than ten years)?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 25, 2017, 04:40:04 PM
Is it true that the singing  of the National anthem before NFL game is only a relative recent tradition (less than ten years)?

Yes