Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 17, 2017, 05:35:09 PM
agreee with this but whats more embaressing is that our county board have decided to give mickey another 3 years. mayo are a credit to themselves but just came up short. they  can hold their heads high.

Go to your own county thread and plague it!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Il Bomber Destro

Mayo showed the type of game plan needed to beat Dublin yesterday. I just don't think we have the type of players to play that way though.

I hope we certainly try and be a bit more assertive next year, try and keep two inside and go for it but I'd worry about our defence being left exposed and our inside forward players are not ball winners.

I also think we're a fair bit off Dublin and Mayo physically. Peter Donnelly will need to be busy this Winter with the squad.

Some freshening up is needed in the squad also, I'm not sure guys like Conall McCann, McShane or HP McGeary are up to it and maybe it's time to look at other faces.

omagh_gael

southtyronegael

bomber why single out those 3 players? 2 of whom barely kicked a ball for tyrone this year? what about some of the guys who played against dublin? and if u think a few new faces in the panel is gonna fix things then your deluded.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 18, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
bomber why single out those 3 players? 2 of whom barely kicked a ball for tyrone this year? what about some of the guys who played against dublin? and if u think a few new faces in the panel is gonna fix things then your deluded.

I don't think new players are going to fix anything.

McShane and Conall McCann have had a lot of chances at this stage and not grasped, HP McGeary is a guy who I don't think is up to it. I think there are other players that are certainly worth looking at.

omagh_gael

Did anyone listen to Team talk? Sounds to me that Mickey ain't going to be changing the one man FF approach anytime soon. He was quoting Dublin and Mayo at times having 1 man forward. What he fails to grasp is that this happened for a tiny percentage of the game.

He also noted that we attack very quickly and get numbers forward. However, in my (albeit humble) opinion Mayo caused Dublin serious issues because they regularly left 3/4 men in the Dublin half. This meant Dublin had to tag them and as a result it significantly hampered their ability to fully implement their running game.

Furthermore, Mayo 100% commited to pressing Cluxton's kick outs. This severely spooked him and gave Mayo huge momentum. We only went 80% on the press. Each timw Dublin had one man free. Mickey needs to watch the Mayo press (Kerry as well) and replicate this in a planned fashion. It's true that the intensity of the press tales huge physical commitment and this, it could be argued, contributed to Mayo's eventual downfall. However, a fully committed press with a slight increase in forward numbers should be our approach to next year.

Club boi

Was having this conversation with a man today and want your opinions -

Looks like Mc Carron has played his last game for Dromore and likely transferring to a Kildare team were he lives. Do you think he will still play for Tyrone next year??

I know in Dublin several other County players play club football for Dublin teams, have Tyrone ever had a player who lived outside the County, played club football outside the County but represented Tyrone??

southtyronegael

mc carron said in irish news last week that he will never play for another county. sounded like he would continue to play for tyrone. is he good enough any more though?

DEL

Did Kevin McCabe not play club football in Dublin or Meath for a year and still played for tyrone. Damian O'Hagan too?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 18, 2017, 09:52:47 PM
Did anyone listen to Team talk? Sounds to me that Mickey ain't going to be changing the one man FF approach anytime soon. He was quoting Dublin and Mayo at times having 1 man forward. What he fails to grasp is that this happened for a tiny percentage of the game.

He also noted that we attack very quickly and get numbers forward. However, in my (albeit humble) opinion Mayo caused Dublin serious issues because they regularly left 3/4 men in the Dublin half. This meant Dublin had to tag them and as a result it significantly hampered their ability to fully implement their running game.

Furthermore, Mayo 100% commited to pressing Cluxton's kick outs. This severely spooked him and gave Mayo huge momentum. We only went 80% on the press. Each timw Dublin had one man free. Mickey needs to watch the Mayo press (Kerry as well) and replicate this in a planned fashion. It's true that the intensity of the press tales huge physical commitment and this, it could be argued, contributed to Mayo's eventual downfall. However, a fully committed press with a slight increase in forward numbers should be our approach to next year.

Fully agree with your synopsis on how Mayo hurt Dublin but do you believe we have the players to mirror the way Mayo play?

I don't think we've anywhere near the physicality of Mayo, we don't have a ball winner like Moran inside, we don't have a wrecking ball like O'Shea around the middle of the pitch, we don't have real sticky tigerish markers like Harrison and Barrett.

You play the hand you're dealt with and while we have some very good footballers, there's an imbalance to our side. I take on board we need to change aspects of our play but it's not just as easy as copying Mayo as we don't have the players who can enact it like they do.

As for the kickouts the last day, spot on, it was a disaster, you either go all in on the press or you cash out. We pushed up but always left one man free and that one man was picked up every time.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 18, 2017, 10:03:34 PM
mc carron said in irish news last week that he will never play for another county. sounded like he would continue to play for tyrone. is he good enough any more though?

McCarron's legs look to have gone on him.

He'd probably do a good job on a physical target man but I'd worry about him on a mobile player with good movement, Clarke gave him the runaround when we played Armagh. Andy Moran destroyed him in a league game against Mayo this year.

I think he can still play a role albeit in a different manner to what he has done.

Who are our best man markers though?

Hampsey?
Brennan?

I think it's an area we are lacking in reliable options

barelegs

Colin Holmes played with Armagh Harps during the 2000s.

On Harte and the Dublin game what I couldn't understand was the failure to man mark any of Dublin's key players. We did it against Murphy and Donegal but seemingly not against Dublin. Dublin made sure they marked Harte, McCann, Sludden and Donnelly we left Kilkenny and McCaffrey have the freedom of the park.

Mayo didn't make the same mistakes

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: barelegs on September 18, 2017, 10:15:59 PM

On Harte and the Dublin game what I couldn't understand was the failure to man mark any of Dublin's key players. We did it against Murphy and Donegal but seemingly not against Dublin. Dublin made sure they marked Harte, McCann, Sludden and Donnelly we left Kilkenny and McCaffrey have the freedom of the park.

Apples and oranges. Mayo went man to man on Dublin effectively.

We man marked Murphy and McBrearty against Donegal and were zonal after that. Dublin have 6 match winners in their forward line and another 3 or 4 on the bench ready to come in.

southtyronegael

why would teamtalkmag have mickey harte on talkin shite after the all ireland? the man has no relevance in the modern game. you think hed be ashamed to talk about football the way he has left tyrone.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 18, 2017, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: barelegs on September 18, 2017, 10:15:59 PM

Apples and oranges. Mayo went man to man on Dublin effectively.

We man marked Murphy and McBrearty against Donegal and were zonal after that. Dublin have 6 match winners in their forward line and another 3 or 4 on the bench ready to come in.

Can u think for yourselve instead of repeating the press/media line. Mayo man marked Kilkenny everywhere he went, the remainder of there backs played there men the way a bloody decent defender should, got stuck into them and made it a war, not standing off them when the ball was 60 yards up the field, whilst they has a player drop back almost 50% of the time to sweep in front of the full back line. Andrews, O Gara, Flynn, Manion, Scully are not match winners, v good players yes. Brogan was a match winner but isn't anymore.