Fermanagh new senior manager

Started by KIDDO 4, September 27, 2010, 11:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIDDO 4

John O'Neill has been appointed manager of the Fermanagh Senior Football team, replacing Malachy O'Rourke.

The decision was taken by the Fermanagh management committee this evening.

O'Rourke oversaw promotion from Division Three to Division Two in his first season and brought Fermanagh to a first Ulster Final in 26 years in 2007 only to lose to Armagh in a replay.

But Fermanagh have struggled in recent seasons, dropping two Divisions in the league and making little impact in the Championship.

O'Neill was formerly a member of Charlie Mulgrew's backroom team and has also been involved a Minor and Under-21 manager of intercounty teams.

His support team is to consist of Sid Mulrone of Devenish and Simon Bradley of Enniskillen.

orangeman

FermGael

Well good luck to him is right.
Seems to have assembled a good background team as well.
Could still do with finding a strength and condition coach though.
Did very well with the minors and U-21's a couple of years ago.
Most of the present squad will be familiar with him.
We are in division 4 this year so the main aim should be promotion out of that division(which will not be easy).
Needs to get the St Pat's boys back on board this year.  From what i have seen of club football in Fermanagh this year
We need Maguire, Cosgrove and McDermott back in the panel.
Barry Owens seems to be back so thats another plus because we need him at full back.
Wonder is he taking the U-21 job as well because the U-21's should have a good team this year..

I suppose he is starting at the bottom and things could not be much worse

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

seafoid

Why can't Mayo do it like this? Did the community of Fermanagh supporters agonise for months over this decision or was it a simple vote ?

samwin08

Of course the new management should be given a chance, but it seems along the Tyrone border , not too many Fermanagh people think so.It is clear Fermanagh have got what the deserve, not even the best of a bad lot!

Jimmyjimson

It was all fairly low key. People in the county probably favoured Peter McGinnity for the job but as he is employed by the county board that was never going to happen.

It was clear from the outset that it was going to be an internal appointment. 3 names, O'Neill, Darren Chapman (current manger of Mullahoran and manager when Newtownbutler won the SFC) and Sean Maguire (St Pat's manager when they won the SFC) were nominated by the clubs. Dom Corrigan's name was put forward by the players but as no club nominated him he was excluded from the race. It was always going to be between O'Neill and Chapman and Chapman may well have been considered too young for the job. He'll probably be next in line when the job comes up again though. Saying that O'Neill doesn't have much club management experience but he was over the minors when they got to the Ulster final a number of years ago.

It's fair to say that expectations aren't very high in the county at the minute but the same can be said about the year Charlie Mulgrew was appointed. Mulgrew had far better players at his disposal though. As O'Neill has Simon Bradley on his ticket he should get Ryan McCluskey out for another year. Barry Owens is back playing club football again but it's difficult to imagine Marty McGrath will be fully fit next season.

As FermGael says it's imperative that Eamonn Maguire comes back in. McDermott is still the best centre back in the county but the travelling and his age will go against him coming back. In midfield Cosgrove is a great fielder but is still a bit light for county level. I'd say a couple more of the Roslea lads will come into the panel next year and of course getting the best out of Quigley the elder will probably be O'Neill's greatest challenge.

FermGael

Jimmy long time no hear.Where you been??

If Marty McGrath is not fit, we have quite a few replacements knocking about.
We have R Jones From Derrygonnelly, Cosgrove's from St Pat's and Roslea.
We would be better having a look at these men in the league and see can they do a job.
Let Marty concentarte on getting himself fit for the championship instead of playing in fits and starts.
A similar approach with McDermott could also be the way forward.

There also must be a few of the Belcoo and Devenish lads coming into the reckoning as well.
Quigley seems to have 'wised up' a bit.  Quigley's younger brother could also be worth a look.
Sean Doherty, Hughie Brady, Tom Brewster could also be considered.

Jimmyjimson

Been keeping a low profile FG ;)

As always in Fermanagh the backs aren't the problem. Pick 6 from Owens, McDermott, P Sherry, O'Brien, McCluskey, Ward, McElroy, Kelly, O'Brien and Mulrone and you have a decent defence. I also think John Woods could make a go of it if given more opportunities. Rory Foy if the attitude is right is an exceptional talent

Midfield is a problem. James Sherry can be a collossus on his day but you never what to get from him. Ryan Jones will be the answer long term but he's still only 19/20 (didn't stop Aidan Walsh though) Marty's injuries have affected him badly. He should take a year out to fully recover and extend his career by a few seasons. As I said earlier I think St Pat's Cosgrove is a great fielder but he needs to bulk up a bit. It's a pity that Mark Murphy wasn't available again, thought he was very underrated when he played.

Up front is the biggest concern. We just haven't been putting up scores at all in the last few years. Maybe a benefit of playing Division 4 will be the forwards getting their confidence up. Quigley will be key but we all know the baggage that he brings. If Maguire and Little are both available they'll make hay in that league. I wish Little would play more like he did when he first came onto the scene. Being asked to play in a withdrawn position has seriously curtailed his flair. Back in 2004 the sight of him jinking round half backs twice his size was a joy to behold. Carson will do well in the division but he needs to vary his game more, every full back in Ulster knows about his solo dummy and how he comes in on his left foot now. Ward did well last year and his speed is serious but like a few others though he needs to bulk up a bit. Chris O'Brien has great potential too, he's lightning qucik and has  a bit of divil in him. Anyone who watched him in the U21 game in Derry last year can testify to his talent. As for those who can come in from outside last years panel, I definitely think Shaun Doherty still has plenty to offer. Paul McCusker has had a great season for Ederney and Liam Lynch and Quigley junior from Roslea definitely worth a look.

Can you see anyone else getting a call up ?

ExiledGael

Can't see anyone making a huge impact from outside of that Jimmy. Agree with most of those sentiments. Marty needs a long break, heard him stupidly getting quite a lot of abuse from some of our own fans lately, and it's great to see Owens playing away. Would be great to see him back at full-back for the county.
Eamonn Maguire would be a great addition again and Frog, but I'm not sure he'll be back. Don't think we'll ever see the Little of 2004 again either.
Anyway O'Neill has got it and he's all winter and spring to build up for Championship. We'll be underdogs no matter who we get and expectations will be low.
We must get out of Division Four and it won't be a walk in the park (bar Kilkenny and London). We're there for a reason and I wouldn't fancy the trips to Carlow, Aughrim and Dungarvan.
I still think we've the makings of a good young side there if O'Neill can get them all committed. Quigley can be whatever he wants to be in football, but my guess is that's not a top class inter-county player. Hopefully his brother comes on board and we get a little dedication out of him. With those defenders and Blobby, Eamonn, Ward, O'Brien and the two Quigley's up front we could trouble a few teams.
Here's hoping. Good luck John.

FermGael

I think that Tomas Corrigan could be worth a look as well.
Bit on the small side but very accurate from play and frees.
Rory Gallagher would probably still be available too  :-\
Any word if Womble is getting homesick yet??

Was at the U-21 game this year and O'Brien has the talent.
Would agree about John Woods too Jimmy but would still have my concerns about Mulrone. 
Is O'Neill the U-21 manager or will Chapman take that??

Orangemac

Would Chapman not still be over the U21s?

Think he would have been a better bet as he seemed to do a good enough job with the U21s and seems to be doing ok with Mullahoran in Cavan.

Has O'Neill won anything before?

Fermanagh should win Div 4 next year especially if Owens is back. With their best 15 fit and on the field they can match the best on their day with the right manager in charge.

Definitley need Eamon Maguire back and it is now Daryl Keenans 3rd year at senior level and it is time for him to deliver on the potential he showed at McCrory level.

Rory Gallaghers best days are behind him I'm afraid.

sammymaguire

Fermanagh football looks like it's staying in the doldrums with this appointment. Not the man for the job in my opinion, younger hungrier manager with plenty to prove, the bit between his teeth and knowledge of the players would have served everyone better

Could be jumping to the wrong conclusion on this, but O'Neill might not even see out the league campaign...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

haranguerer

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 28, 2010, 10:15:05 PM
Fermanagh football looks like it's staying in the doldrums with this appointment. Not the man for the job in my opinion, younger hungrier manager with plenty to prove, the bit between his teeth and knowledge of the players would have served everyone better

Could be jumping to the wrong conclusion on this, but O'Neill might not even see out the league campaign...

::)

sammymaguire

Quote from: haranguerer on September 29, 2010, 11:11:26 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on September 28, 2010, 10:15:05 PM

::)

Haran, you reckon O'Neill is the best man for the job then? Good Luck to the man is all I can say.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

haranguerer

Hes as good as the other two anyway. There was a poor selection, but its a good opportunity for O'Neill now hes got it because the only way is up.

The eyes were rolling at everything in the post - younger, hungrier? Its not a player-manager position, generally experience in mgt is a good thing. Not even see out the league campaign? Thats just utterly ridiculous.

I presume its Chapman you're referring to by the younger,hungrier bit - what gives him have a better knowledge of the players than the man who got it, given that hes previously taken the underage teams?