McDonell in Indo has a pop at Thomas Davis

Started by dublinfella, July 29, 2010, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2010, 12:14:40 PM
Alright, you've shifted the ground here now. Do you accept that TD's complaint about the 'youth' was because the design of the new stadium precluded them, regardless of how logical that seems to you?

If so, I'll sign off here, because I have no intention of 10 pages discussing the case again. It's over, Rovers won the case. I also won't presume to speak for Thomas Davis' use of their own money, even though I have my own opinion on it.

Finally, it seems to me that all you are saying, and all that McDonnell is saying, is that what Thomas Davis were afraid of has come to pass. So they lost the case, but they were correct.

(I don't know if that is actually the case or not, but that is what you and McDonnell seem to be suggesting).

Im saying that there was never, and should never, a requirement for the state to make municipal facilities or state funded facilities multi sport.

I think TD were dead right to fear Rovers in the area, and the proof is in the pudding. My point is that its fundametally immoral and an abuse of the courts to go legal rather than compete with a rival sport. That money wasted on costs should have been used to try and improve their game to compete.

Zulu

QuoteMy point is that its fundametally immoral and an abuse of the courts to go legal rather than compete with a rival sport.

Immoral? Get off the stage DF. I see you are still trying to avoid points that don't suit you. The objection many people on this site had with the whole issue was that SR (a professional organisation) were essentially given a stadium for free. If they had built the stadium themselves from their own funds then nobody could have any complaints but they didn't. I don't think the government should be giving stadiums to any professional sport teams, if for no other reason than if they build one for one team then why not for all their competitors. But what is done is done and the fact that you bring this up again suggests that you had an agenda all along which had nothing to do with concern for the GAA.

AZOffaly

Anyway, I'm going to exit stage right at this stage because it's rehashed ground. I will reiterate my view of the initial post on the thread, which is what I was responding to in the first place, rather than the case itself and how moral or immoral it was.

McDonnell and yourself, dublinfella, seem to be glorying in the fact that Shamrock Rovers' game tonight is such a glamour tie, and that Thomas Davis cannot possibly compete with that.

I have said that from my recollection, and that blurb from Wiki, one of the central tenets of Davis' complaint was that in handing a stadium to a professional sports team in a rival code, and excluding Thomas Davis from using it, the authorities were handing an unfair competitive advantage to Shamrock Rovers, which would make it hard for Thomas Davis to attract youngsters because of the big glamourous attraction on the doorstep.

So, it seems to me that while Thomas Davis lost the case, and maybe were ill advised to bring it in the first place, their concerns about being placed at a disadvantage by the authorities in favour of a professional sports team were absolutely correct.

At least they appear 100% correct in their fear if I take at face value what you are saying about the popularity of Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght, and McDonnell's gloating about apples.

AZOffaly

Quote from: dublinfella on July 29, 2010, 11:38:07 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2010, 11:34:46 AM
So have Thomas Davis 'F*cked off and Died' then? Or are they still thriving as well? Or are you saying that the unfairness Thomas Davis complained about, whereby building a stadium in a locality that could only be used by the 'professional' soccer club has in fact led to their fears being realised?

Are they thriving? They still haven't paid the legal bill as far as I know. Not much in terms of success on the pitch either.

I'm saying this was never about stadium access - they admitted as much. It was about trying to keep Rovers out of the area. They didn't want the 'diet' to be LoI games, so I can only imagine the dark mutterings when Juventus or Real Madrid hit town. How can they compete with that to attract kids?

This is the bit I'm contenting. Davis said that because they didn't have access to the stadium, Rovers had an unfair advantage, so despite your comment about it never being about stadium access, that is exactly what the grounds for their case was if I recall correctly.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Dont worry about it lads .
I remember the anti GAA Brigade in the media were having a field day back in 1990 predicting the end of Gaelic Games and Soccer to sweep the Country and blah etc .
These cnuts are foaming at the mouth with jealousy at the ongoing success of the GAA and any bit of Soccer good news is glorified out of all proportion.
There will be 6,000 at the Tallaght game ,which according to some hacks will frighten Juventus.
F F S wise up.
As for dublinfella ....his Shamrock Spongers loyalties are fairly obvious for many a day. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2010, 12:49:41 PM
Anyway, I'm going to exit stage right at this stage because it's rehashed ground. I will reiterate my view of the initial post on the thread, which is what I was responding to in the first place, rather than the case itself and how moral or immoral it was.

McDonnell and yourself, dublinfella, seem to be glorying in the fact that Shamrock Rovers' game tonight is such a glamour tie, and that Thomas Davis cannot possibly compete with that.

I have said that from my recollection, and that blurb from Wiki, one of the central tenets of Davis' complaint was that in handing a stadium to a professional sports team in a rival code, and excluding Thomas Davis from using it, the authorities were handing an unfair competitive advantage to Shamrock Rovers, which would make it hard for Thomas Davis to attract youngsters because of the big glamourous attraction on the doorstep.

So, it seems to me that while Thomas Davis lost the case, and maybe were ill advised to bring it in the first place, their concerns about being placed at a disadvantage by the authorities in favour of a professional sports team were absolutely correct.

At least they appear 100% correct in their fear if I take at face value what you are saying about the popularity of Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght, and McDonnell's gloating about apples.

I'm saying they were right to react. But the manner in which they did it was low.

AZOffaly

Quote from: dublinfella on July 29, 2010, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2010, 12:49:41 PM

I'm saying they were right to react. But the manner in which they did it was low.

I think that's progress :D Now if we can change the word 'low' to 'contentious' I think you'd probably be agreeing with at least half the people who posted on the matter :D

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that (really).

Bud Wiser

Quote from: dublinfella on July 29, 2010, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2010, 11:26:30 AM
No harm dublinfella, but that McDonnell fella is a completely anti GAA writer anyway. I'm not surprised he has a pop, but maybe he'd be better off having a pop at the FAI / League about the shambles their 'professional' clubs are in. Bohs are facing a firesale because they lost one game to TNS. They can't afford to pay their wages because they missed out. That's not a sustainable strategy. McDonnell has written some very disparaging comments about the GAA, bogball etc.

Don't give a rashers about Bohs or the LoI.

Point I took from this is that TD's worst fears about being blown out of the water in terms of local interest  have come true and then some. Full houses most weeks, kids all over the area in Rovers gear, players and their mascot in schools etc and on top of that games against Real Madrid and Juve and the associated hype.

There are three clubs in close proximity, Ballyboden, St Annes and Thomas Davis.  I can only speak for my own club, Boden, and they have coaching throughout the summer from Scoil Treasa where the coaches and indeed Ballyboden are in constant liason with the schools for Friday aftenoon training.  Boden have not one but a number of Summer Camps that are completely booked out and St Annes are the same with kids from all parts of Tallaght attending.  I am sure Thomas Davis are no different but in any case the work that is being done on the ground by the GAA is as good as it can get.

When Ronaldo appeared at Tallaght Stadium there was a bit of a stir too but soon all forgotton about.  The game tonight will be yesterdays news when the Dubs take the field against Tyrone on Saturday evening.  "There is food and work for all" was the heading in a paragraph of a book about a local titled man where I came from when he announced, back in the bad old days,  to all and sundry that he needed workers to thin beet and pick potatoes and so it is in Tallaght, plenty of room for all the shamrock rovers and gaa men that there are in both codes if they are up to it.

Don't be minding that eejit in the Independent.  Come on the Hoops, do Tallaght proud tonight.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dublinfella

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 29, 2010, 02:25:06 PM

There are three clubs in close proximity, Ballyboden, St Annes and Thomas Davis.  I can only speak for my own club, Boden, and they have coaching throughout the summer from Scoil Treasa where the coaches and indeed Ballyboden are in constant liason with the schools for Friday aftenoon training.  Boden have not one but a number of Summer Camps that are completely booked out and St Annes are the same with kids from all parts of Tallaght attending.  I am sure Thomas Davis are no different but in any case the work that is being done on the ground by the GAA is as good as it can get.

When Ronaldo appeared at Tallaght Stadium there was a bit of a stir too but soon all forgotton about.  The game tonight will be yesterdays news when the Dubs take the field against Tyrone on Saturday evening.  "There is food and work for all" was the heading in a paragraph of a book about a local titled man where I came from when he announced, back in the bad old days,  to all and sundry that he needed workers to thin beet and pick potatoes and so it is in Tallaght, plenty of room for all the shamrock rovers and gaa men that there are in both codes if they are up to it.

Don't be minding that eejit in the Independent.  Come on the Hoops, do Tallaght proud tonight.

I don't really think you can compare the (fantastic) work the Boden do as a megasuper club and TD. Different leagues. Are TD even doing a camp? Haven't heard or seen anything.

Your second last paragraph is exactly my point on the whole thing. Plenty of kids, plenty of them play multiple sports. meet the challenge head on with pride, not sneak off to the courts and play dirty.

Canalman

Don't forget

Commercials
St Marks
St Marys Saggart
Croí Ró Naofa
St Kevins/Killians (reforming their juvenile setup on the back of a successful NS nearby)

and not too far away

Faughs
St Judes
Ballyboden Wanderers
R Towers Clondalkin
St Finians

GAA not too badly off out Dublin SW way imo.

Tankie

I got given a ticket to this game about an hour ago so im gonna head along and see what this stadium and stuff is all about
Grand Slam Saturday!

deiseach

Quote from: Tankie on July 29, 2010, 04:12:48 PM
I got given a ticket to this game about an hour ago so im gonna head along and see what this stadium and stuff is all about

Whaaat? And all those tens of thousands of diehards who krammed into Glenmalure Park week-in-week-out can't get tickets? You should be ashamed of yourself!

ardal

There was a day when the Housing Executive up north used to only give housing to Protestants, but there's no comparison here, ya know, a government body favouring one over the other.

Good luck to the soccer boys by the way, it's be nice to see the recently homeless; through no fault of their own of course, get truely back on their own two feet and not have to depend on the charity of others

Rossfan

I wonder will they pay an economic rent now that they're getting all this Euro money?
The words of the Bailey Brothers come to mind  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM