China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on March 20, 2020, 12:48:21 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 20, 2020, 10:12:16 AM
A good mate thought he would getting some time off work as he's a teacher but understood he'd have to chip in at School and they'd do a rota and was more than happy to help, unfortunately he's been stitched up by the head and the vast majority of people he works with and is now going to end up working through the Easter holidays. The head came round the other day and read out a list of over 50 health issues of which some were very minor, 75% of all staff said they one or more (head had clearly briefed her friends first) and were told to go home and not come back for 12 weeks. Only a couple of them have kids that need to be home schooled and many of them are taking advantage of a situation, he reckons 3 of them are all over facebook stating there here to help any parents that require advice.

End up having to work through Easter?

My heart really goes out to those poor teachers.

Easter? I'd say last day of school would be end of a June, possibly different up your way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

From a business point of view I can't stress how serious this is.

I've been badgering Invest NI etc this week that the government need to announce that they will pay a large portion of wages,and this needs to be by way of a grant, not a loan.  Businesses will not take out loans to pay for wages when demand and orders have literally dropped off a cliff.
If this isn't fixed today with a clear message from the Chancellor the amount of layoffs will be huge.  The reality is that cash will stop coming through the door, even from orders delivered in the past, and when that happens everything just stops in business.
We all need to keep our fingers crossed.

rodney trotter

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 20, 2020, 12:22:13 PM
What were they suppose to do? They temporarily let off people until May, same way hotels etc are doing
O Neill had 1000s of orders cancelled. They can't keep making product with no Gaa

We've an order in with them for three sets of adult jerseys. That's still going ahead as we hope to need them in July August.

I'd suggest a lot of clubs would be the same.

They'll lose out a bit on the replica county gear alright but they'll get those back later in the year.

Don't understand who'd be cancelling 1000's of orders for teamwear.

It's said the peak of the Virus will be around June/July. I don't see any Club nevermind County football being played in the summer, if at all this year

trailer

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 20, 2020, 12:54:55 PM
From a business point of view I can't stress how serious this is.

I've been badgering Invest NI etc this week that the government need to announce that they will pay a large portion of wages,and this needs to be by way of a grant, not a loan.  Businesses will not take out loans to pay for wages when demand and orders have literally dropped off a cliff.
If this isn't fixed today with a clear message from the Chancellor the amount of layoffs will be huge.  The reality is that cash will stop coming through the door, even from orders delivered in the past, and when that happens everything just stops in business.
We all need to keep our fingers crossed.

Same here. They need to guarantee the wages or the country will fall into the sea.

Dire Ear

A good mate thought he would getting some time off work as he's a teacher but understood he'd have to chip in at School and they'd do a rota and was more than happy to help, unfortunately he's been stitched up by the head and the vast majority of people he works with and is now going to end up working through the Easter holidays. The head came round the other day and read out a list of over 50 health issues of which some were very minor, 75% of all staff said they one or more (head had clearly briefed her friends first) and were told to go home and not come back for 12 weeks. Only a couple of them have kids that need to be home schooled and many of them are taking advantage of a situation, he reckons 3 of them are all over facebook stating there here to help any parents that require advice.
Gonna be a nasty environment when normality returns

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 12:52:38 PM

Easter? I'd say last day of school would be end of a June, possibly different up your way

Why is a teacher hard done by if he has to work through Easter, most people have to.

I think it just typifies the bubble teachers live in.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Angelo on March 20, 2020, 01:40:56 PM

Why is a teacher hard done by if he has to work through Easter, most people have to.

The lad in question works every Saturday to supplement his income and would have used one of the 2 weeks off during Easter to work too, that business still want him in. He like many of us on here gives up a lot of his spare time to help run his club, I agree many are in a bubble but he isn't.

Milltown Row2

So having 90 teachers in school looking after possibly 50% of the kids due to their parents jobs is a good idea?

Either the school is closed or it's not! Will the kids self isolate?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Either keep them open or close them completely. What's the point in having half the class at home and the other half in school for babysitting. I don't even mind coming into school and doing my teaching with google classroom and Class Dojo but I don't want a room full of children mixing together.

lfdown2

And where should the kids of front line staff go?

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/348e05e4-6778-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

The virus is an economic emergency too As borrowers and spenders of last resort, governments must act now to avert a depression MARTIN WOLF

Central banks cannot deliver solvency. They cannot underpin household incomes or insure businesses against this collapse in demand. As borrowers and spenders of last resort, governments can and must do so.  Long-term government debt is so cheap that they need feel no fear of doing so, either: Germany, Japan, France and the UK are now able to borrow for 30 years at a nominal rate of less than 1 per cent, Canada at 1.3 per cent and the US at 1.4 per cent. This, then, is a time-limited crisis, with economic and health consequences that governments must manage. Domestically, the bare minimum is generous sick pay and unemployment insurance, including to freelance workers, for the period of the crisis. If this is too difficult, governments can just send everybody a cheque. Yet even this will not be enough if the costs of mass bankruptcy and a depression are to be avoided. Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman of Berkeley argue that: "The most direct way to provide . . . insurance is to have the government act as a buyer of last resort. If the government fully replaces the demand that evaporates, each business can keep paying its workers and maintain its capital stock, as if it was operating . . . as usual." Anatole Kaletsky of Gavekal has recommended a similar response. Providing such relief will not create moral hazard. Being helped through a once-in-a-century pandemic will hardly encourage egregious irresponsibility. If businesses have borrowed too much, they will still go bankrupt, in the end. This plan is far better than loans and loan guarantees, as proposed by the German government. Businesses will take up loans only to ensure their survival through the crisis, not necessarily to pay their workers. Moreover, loans will have to be repaid, creating a burden when the pandemic ends. In this proposed programme, however, payments can be made conditional on keeping workers. The programme will also end naturally, with the pandemic itself. Governments can then impose additional taxes to recoup their outlays. Maintaining incomes and minimising the long-term costs of collapsing businesses are essential. In addition, within the eurozone it will be essential to help governments whose ability to borrow is limited. Globally, vulnerable emerging countries will also need help managing the health and economic crises. It will be vital, too, to roll back the zero-sum nationalism of today's policies, which will make it difficult to rebuild a co-operative and healthy global order. This too shall pass. But it will not do so tomorrow. The pandemic risks creating a depression. Salus rei publicae suprema lex (the safety of the republic is the supreme law). In war, governments spend freely. Now, too, they must mobilise their resources to prevent a disaster. Think big. Act now. Together.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

maggie

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 20, 2020, 02:24:48 PM

Where do they go down south?

Smokin Joe

Two things that the Chancellor's announcement needs to include today for it to have any chance of stopping a complete economic meltdown:
1 - It's a wage support grant of at least 75%, not a loan
2 - All companies, not just SMEs or those in retail or hospitality, need to be able to benefit

marty34

Quote from: Angelo on March 20, 2020, 01:40:56 PM

Conversely, I'd say parents are getting their fill of it in the house these days with a couple of kids and how to manage them etc.  I don't know how they do it with 30 in a class!!!!

JimStynes

Quote from: maggie on March 20, 2020, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 20, 2020, 02:24:48 PM

Where do they go down south?

So don't close the schools then. As it stands we will have about 60% of the school in.