Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Another semi-final appearance for Derry, players and management have given us 2 great years to date. I've no doubt we'll give Kerry their fill of it.
Kerry were ruthless on Sat & Derry a bit off so the immediate feeling yesterday was it'll be a very tough day. Shane had a very rare off day (couple of folk mentioned he wasn't 100%), yesterday but the other 5 forwards all chipped in with scores that got us over the line. Murray banked a good 20 mins which was good to see.
The spine of the team need the games of their lives, really looking forward to it.

DoireGael

McFaul was excellent coming from deep and picking up ball. Glass superb defensively.

They sat too deep at times. Grinded out a result.

In the last two matches Derry have been turned over against Clare and Cork too easily at times. Kerry where excellent at turning over Tyrone as they pressed so a cause for concern, outside the obvious.

screenexile

It's a big ask but if you told me at the start of this year we'd win the McKenna cup, beat Dublin in the league, get promoted, retain the Ulster Cship and get to another All Ireland semi final I'd have bitten your hand off. We've done really well this year to get to where we are and honestly we haven't played that well since the Monaghan Ulster game so I'm hoping we can turn it around for this game.

Kerry looked flying but Tyrone were so naive it was madness. Nobody at any stage thought that it would be a good idea to try a few long kickouts and take advantage of the Midfield advantage that they had to create a bit of mayhem up the pitch. Instead they kept popping it 5 yards and tried to move through the lines only to get turned over repeatedly.

I would expect our tactical ability to be better than that but at the end of the day Kerry have better players overall so I still expect them to win but I hope we put in a good performance.

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on July 03, 2023, 11:03:12 AM
It's a big ask but if you told me at the start of this year we'd win the McKenna cup, beat Dublin in the league, get promoted, retain the Ulster Cship and get to another All Ireland semi final I'd have bitten your hand off. We've done really well this year to get to where we are and honestly we haven't played that well since the Monaghan Ulster game so I'm hoping we can turn it around for this game.

Kerry looked flying but Tyrone were so naive it was madness. Nobody at any stage thought that it would be a good idea to try a few long kickouts and take advantage of the Midfield advantage that they had to create a bit of mayhem up the pitch. Instead they kept popping it 5 yards and tried to move through the lines only to get turned over repeatedly.

I would expect our tactical ability to be better than that but at the end of the day Kerry have better players overall so I still expect them to win but I hope we put in a good performance.

Agree 100%.
What ever happens it's been a good year.
If we can raise our game the way we did against donegal in last years ulster final, we are in with a shout.
But Kerry have to be raging hot favorites after the weekend.

DoireGael

The Chrissy and Clifford matchup will decide an All Star  ;D

I see tickets up tomorrow, probably best waiting on this on into the week.

seanyb

It will be interesting to see if Kerry can get as fired up for this game as they did for Tyrone, very hard to back that up twice in a row

toby47

How many do we expect to see at the game, will there be more than 40k?

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on July 03, 2023, 04:08:26 PM
How many do we expect to see at the game, will there be more than 40k?

Many in Kerry will see this as a stroll and save themselves for the final, half full max

bannside

Dubs and Monaghan will fill Croke, this one should be played after Tailteean Cup final. Not often Croke Pk misses out on an opportunity to sell tickets.

thebuzz

Quote from: bannside on July 03, 2023, 06:10:14 PM
Dubs and Monaghan will fill Croke, this one should be played after Tailteean Cup final. Not often Croke Pk misses out on an opportunity to sell tickets.
My thoughts exactly. I was sure our game would be on the Saturday evening after Down and Meath. Croker could have been three quarters full with those matches and Dublin and Monaghan would fill the place on the Sunday.

Wildweasel74

If we play like we did against Monaghan first day out (But we not the same team since that for obvious reasons) we have a good chance. Play like we did yesterday, a mauling worse than Tyrone, awaits. We been poor on the last 3 visits to Croke Park. We are too reliable on the same men all the time. It's about time the lesser lights stood up, Glass and Co. Can't carry us all the time.

Wildweasel74

Derry will bring a massive crowd, last year I couldn't believe how many Derry people were at the semi. I expect the same again.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 03, 2023, 08:11:37 PM
Derry will bring a massive crowd, last year I couldn't believe how many Derry people were at the semi. I expect the same again.

Would last years semi have been a better opportunity to play in a final?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Yes and no, simply put we 2 short in scoring forwards plus maybe 3 men on the bench, which shows in 3 lads in the subs who never really started senior for Derry. E Bradley and, Jack Doherty are required nxt Yr, maybe a look at some other forwards (but I been to 10 different league games and no-one has stood out though Newbridge got a lad fairly good) Panel needs pushed out to 40, panel simply too small, allow extended panel members to play club fball to keep them on board.

Milltown Row2

It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea