Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2023

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Tyrone beat them by a point in either Maghera or Lavey( they were coming of 2 All-Ireland finals, can't remember if they won it that year) , was at it but so long ago, I can't remember, should won the game though, I think a bad goal was give aeay.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 10, 2023, 09:14:46 AM
Tyrone beat them by a point in either Maghera or Lavey( they were coming of 2 All-Ireland finals, can't remember if they won it that year) , was at it but so long ago, I can't remember, should won the game though, I think a bad goal was give aeay.

Definitely Maghera. I genuinely don't think that under-21 was a priority for Derry back then.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Estimator on July 10, 2023, 09:08:13 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 10, 2023, 08:45:10 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 10, 2023, 08:21:58 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 09, 2023, 08:02:31 PM
Best team to come out of Derry since their 1989 Team. Derry now had 4 fairly strong minor teams over the past 4yrs.

3 outta that team started in 93 final, with Burnsy on the bench.
I think !
Think Declan Bateson was in the panel that year too hoof
Coleman, Tohill and Heaney started
Burns came on as a sub
Diamond and Bateson were on the bench.

forgot about him !! how bad is that  ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Estimator

Won U21 Ulster in '93. Beat Down in the final, at the Athletic Grounds.
Some of the '89 minors were still available. The likes of Burns, Diamond etc played on that team.

Beat by Meath in the semi final in Castleblaney. Geraghty was whb for Meath that day.. I think
Ulster League Champions 2009

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Estimator on July 10, 2023, 09:30:30 AM
Won U21 Ulster in '93. Beat Down in the final, at the Athletic Grounds.
Some of the '89 minors were still available. The likes of Burns, Diamond etc played on that team.

Beat by Meath in the semi final in Castleblaney. Geraghty was whb for Meath that day.. I think
Gary Coleman,  would have been still been under 21 in 93 & Dermot  Dougan also played that day ( Dougie &Karl  Diamond were on the bench in 1989 but were still under 16 )

quit yo jibbajabba

few anoraks on here and i mean that as a compliment 😃
Id be of similar vintage but wouldnt have half the memory of some you guys

89 team was some team

marty34

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 09, 2023, 08:18:37 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 09, 2023, 08:02:31 PM
Best team to come out of Derry since their 1989 Team. Derry now had 4 fairly strong minor teams over the past 4yrs.

Yeah signs are good. Say on average 3 out of each team make the step up to senior County level, we should have plenty of talent coming through.

Brilliant win today.

They're only U17s, so it'll be 4-6 years before they come through. Big step up.

Be interesting to see how this panel progresses with club and county over the next 10 years.  Good for a case study in regards to underage development to senior football.

Will many come through?

Will more of this age group come through, who were not on this wider panel?

thebuzz

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Derry played much better yesterday than they did in the Ulster Final.

Monaghan were a shadow of what they were in that game and the game against Mayo.

I know they kicked a lot of wides but they just weren't the same team.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 10, 2023, 10:19:30 AM

89 team was some team

some players who practically disappeared after that who were mainstays of that team and very good players
Coleman only 1 of back 7 to make it.
Paddy, Simpson, Skelly, McGonigle, Martin, OConnor - did they represent Derry at senior level at all ? maybe a league game here and there but dont remember
Big John at midfield played a few league games
James Lynn and McEldowney, dont think so
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Estimator

Watched some parts of the game back.  There was a serious crowd from Monaghan there. At the game, I thought it was about 3/1 on the support side of things, but seeing the full stand it was probably closer to 5/1.  They certainly gave their team some support, even during the warm up, clapping them going over and back across the pitch.

Derry controlled most of the game yesterday, there was some brief threats from McGinnity and Finn, but I felt Derry kept them at arms length.  We were in a good position at half time, 2pts up and with the breeze in the second half.  The free off the ground (with the breeze) from Finn was some hit, could have landed it from 10yds further back.

On the sending off, its one of those that you'd probably try to defend your own player, saying he was stumbling and falling over someone who had just fallen in front of them. If he isn't your man, you'd say he meant to do damage and knew what he was doing. I'd say the ref was right on this one, though think the linesman on the far side was the one who made the call.

After that, I think that Monaghan had a couple of wides and maybe one dropped short.  If any of those went over the Monaghan crowd would've lifted the roof off. The shot selection, into the wind, was v poor. Too many bad wides, and dropped short.

But the goal killed the game for Derry, was strange to see a team with an extra man, caught out completely at the back on a long kick out, fielded by Higgins in midfield, quick hand pass, and it was man to man on the run in, and one of them had to chase back to get close to Sargent. Doherty done extremely well to hold off his marker and draw the keeper, and it was an easy finish.

Superb result. And another great lift for Derry.
Ulster League Champions 2009

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 10, 2023, 12:26:08 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 10, 2023, 10:19:30 AM

89 team was some team

some players who practically disappeared after that who were mainstays of that team and very good players
Coleman only 1 of back 7 to make it.
Paddy, Simpson, Skelly, McGonigle, Martin, OConnor - did they represent Derry at senior level at all ? maybe a league game here and there but dont remember
Big John at midfield played a few league games
James Lynn and McEldowney, dont think so

Aye always weird who makes it, Mulholland and McGonigle both excellent club players, Paddy too of course lol.

Think Rory left for USA v soon after, dont mind hearin much more about Lyn who was excellent from memory

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

Was at that Castleblaney one too, played decent against Meath best U-21 Team. Ventured on to Jody Devine club for Derry v Meath Challenge game. The nite the garda were called lol.