The Masters 2020

Started by Boycey, November 09, 2020, 09:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

The Masters always deserves a thread of its own, even more so in this miserable year. Going by the pics I've seen online the course might be even more beautiful at this time of year....

Hoping as ever for Rory to complete the Grand Slam but he's throwing too many errors in at the minute so it's with no great conviction. Bryson the form horse but I can't warm to him at all. Hoping for 4 exciting days...

An Watcher

Best sporting event of the year

Milltown Row2

Not too many Europeans win this tournament. Willet and Garcia the last couple

Going for Brooks and Xander Schauffele
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Boycey on November 09, 2020, 09:40:12 PM
The Masters always deserves a thread of its own, even more so in this miserable year. Going by the pics I've seen online the course might be even more beautiful at this time of year....

Hoping as ever for Rory to complete the Grand Slam but he's throwing too many errors in at the minute so it's with no great conviction. Bryson the form horse but I can't warm to him at all. Hoping for 4 exciting days...

I'm not a big golf fan, but with the wide fairways and Bryson's brute strength it must be his to lose. It's a bit depressing to think some of the most skillful players in the world haven't got much chance of victory because one guy can smash the ball way further than anyone else

thebigfella

Quote from: dublin7 on November 09, 2020, 10:20:27 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 09, 2020, 09:40:12 PM

I'm not a big golf fan, but with the wide fairways and Bryson's brute strength it must be his to lose. It's a bit depressing to think some of the most skillful players in the world haven't got much chance of victory because one guy can smash the ball way further than anyone else

You should have stopped there. There is too much hyperbole about his distance and a lot of it driven by himself. Plenty who can hit it just as long on the tour and when it go wrong it goes disastrously wrong.

No doubt his distance is an advantage but it's his putting which has massively improved. It's still a bit mechanical for my liking and it works for him but I reckon we'd soon see a difference if green reading books were banned.

dublin7

I might not watch alot of golf, but I do watch the news and read the newspapers. He's the hardest hitting player on the tour and was on course to set a tour record a few months ago. There were articles in the paper at the weekend speculating how low he could score with his big hitting and wide fairways this week.

The bookies aren't stupid and they have him favourite for a reason.

screenexile

Quote from: dublin7 on November 09, 2020, 10:54:37 PM
I might not watch alot of golf, but I do watch the news and read the newspapers. He's the hardest hitting player on the tour and was on course to set a tour record a few months ago. There were articles in the paper at the weekend speculating how low he could score with his big hitting and wide fairways this week.

The bookies aren't stupid and they have him favourite for a reason.

McIlroy's been favourite for probably the last 5 years!!

Boycey

DeChambeau is rated by bookies to have about a 12% chance of winning, it's hardly conclusive.... As for the notion that it's his putting not his driving that's been the difference.. Really? He put all that bulk on to putt better.... He's driving it 20 yards beyond everyone, that's huge!

Will it ever end

It's not just his distance - it's the accuracy of the drives to date, hitting 60% + of fairways - plenty of other big hitters on tour but not getting those accuracy figures.

Augusta will definitely suit his booming draw off the tee but I'd be leaning more towards DJ & a chance taken that Rory's time away working on his distance will reap some rewards.

Would enjoy a Brooks / Bryson pairing at some point or a DJ / Bryson pairing to see how the latter reacts when the pressure of Augusta comes on.

thebigfella

Quote from: Boycey on November 09, 2020, 11:08:34 PM
DeChambeau is rated by bookies to have about a 12% chance of winning, it's hardly conclusive.... As for the notion that it's his putting not his driving that's been the difference.. Really? He put all that bulk on to putt better.... He's driving it 20 yards beyond everyone, that's huge!

Yes. Look at his putting stats over the last few years, there is a massive leap. Short game too this year and arguably made a huge difference in the US Open. Tony Finau hits it just as far (or can) and has a bit more in the tank but he's a terrible putter.

DeChambeau (and lots of the pros) have that ball speed already. The bulking up may be him trying to find a way to stabilise the swing but there is plenty of evidence of him hitting it as far prior to this latest phase of his career.

On the 20 yards, they only measure the drives on 2 holes very round. It very much depends on on the player strategy on those holes etc... but in reality there has always been bigger hitters that the rest of the field on the tours. He just happens to be everything together at the moment and capitalising on that distance.

GiveItToTheShooters

Another major and yet again Mcilroy is in the top 5 favourites having done nothing to warrant it.
He'll hopefully bottle it again as per.
Seems to be the outsiders winning the big ones recently, will likely happen again.

thebigfella

Quote from: Will it ever end on November 09, 2020, 11:10:19 PM
It's not just his distance - it's the accuracy of the drives to date, hitting 60% + of fairways - plenty of other big hitters on tour but not getting those accuracy figures.

Augusta will definitely suit his booming draw off the tee but I'd be leaning more towards DJ & a chance taken that Rory's time away working on his distance will reap some rewards.

Would enjoy a Brooks / Bryson pairing at some point or a DJ / Bryson pairing to see how the latter reacts when the pressure of Augusta comes on.

His accuracy year to date is approx. 52%. DJ, JT, bubba, McIlroy ect... are well ahead in the accuracy. He doesn't need to be accurate though, just needs to be in play which is the game plan.

As for McIlroy working on gaining more distance, won't make a bit of difference if he hasn't sorted out his short irons/wedges. Since the restart that's been his biggest problem.

Mikhail Prokhorov

you have to putt well so it's tiger or speith  :)

hatton outsider

Will it ever end

Quote from: thebigfella on November 10, 2020, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: Will it ever end on November 09, 2020, 11:10:19 PM

His accuracy year to date is approx. 52%. DJ, JT, bubba, McIlroy ect... are well ahead in the accuracy. He doesn't need to be accurate though, just needs to be in play which is the game plan.

As for McIlroy working on gaining more distance, won't make a bit of difference if he hasn't sorted out his short irons/wedges. Since the restart that's been his biggest problem.

Not sure where you've got your stats?

PGA Tour YTD has Bryson @ 59%

DJ slightly below him & JT / Rory slightly above him.

Hound

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 10, 2020, 12:28:41 AM
Another major and yet again Mcilroy is in the top 5 favourites having done nothing to warrant it.
He'll hopefully bottle it again as per.
Seems to be the outsiders winning the big ones recently, will likely happen again.
Anyone having a punt on Rory might be better considering the 1st round leader market (where he's between 18/1 and 22/1)  rather than the winner's market where he's between 11/1 and 14/1. Slightly less places in the ew market but the odds are much better and from memory in the majors where he has won he's had a very good start (and there's been a few where's he had a great start and not so good weekend).

I'm going for Bubba and Patrick Reed.