The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2018, 06:26:57 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on February 08, 2018, 06:23:47 PM
That is a bit disingenuous - MILB, which you specifically used an example seems to be a different beast than Armagh or Mayo TV, and I answered directly as to why that wouldn't work over here.

I also said that baseball as a boundary game is more suited to wide shots, robotic cams etc, whereas I don't think the same can be said of football and hurling.

That said, we don't really know enough about Mayo and Armagh TV. We don't know if they make a profit - I would suspect they don't. I would think that their costs are covered by sponsors - which is all well and good. However, the problem with running a service from sponsorship money is that if the sponsor loses interest, then the service offered could go to the wall.

I have a mate who was done a lot in this area, advising county boards on media stuff and things - I might give him a buzz over the weekend and see what he thinks of the landscape at the moment. He is a Mayo man so I'd say he is plugged in there.

I just don't think there is enough of an appetite for raw footage of games for these types of channels to stand alone, especially given our relatively small population and the lack of local broadcasting infrastructure.

And you could well be right. I think it's more attainable though, than some of the more 'optimistic' opinions on what RTE/EIR/TG4 could do in a very professional manner.

Club Faithful Facebook lived the O'Byrne Cup match v Dublin.
Supporters clubs could do it for all games.

thewobbler

It would seem that we (i.e. county boards, gaa and most of all those horrible c***ts at RTE) have now become guilty of not fully embracing as yet unavailable technology, to record dismal highlights of natches that nobody much really wants.

Syf why not just jump beyond automated cameraman, and devise a payment gateway to rent a share of someone's eyes from people who are at the match? Because all I'm getting from this thread is that everyone wants something different.

Syferus

All everyone wants is a live feed being available from the countless games not being televised but being recorded anyways. Storing them is the simplest part of it all.

Can you not see the value for GAA supporters in having access to recordings of every televised match from the last 30-40 years? Currently there's an archive that no one has access to but that at least some would pay to have access to. As with all things, financial imperatives will be what make it happen.

Too many here are stuck in old ways and old media. The difference in technology in the last ten years has been breath-taking - in 2008 most people used feature phones while today everyone's mother carries around a supercomputer with 4G internet access and a camera that puts older DSLRs to shame. People watch more videos on Facebook, Netflix and YouTube than their TVs now.

Where do you think we will be in ten years? Because it damn sure isn't going to be where we are right now. The GAA can either face what's coming head on or it can wait until it's playing catch-up as usual.

Rossfan

I certainly don't want to watch every game in the NFL or even the Championships whether on TV or the Syfīn nerdy super futuristic
Eyeball thingymajig.
Now a decent show on RTÉ that would end up with all NFL results and tables and a few minutes chat about Divs 3 and 4 would be just grand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Another top showing. Highlights from Dublin v Donegal  (eir sport), mayo v Galway  (tg4) and kildare v Tyrone  (tg4) and bizarrely Armagh v longford in div3 was only "new" footage. 3 Div 2 games ignored again. Pathetic. Next time I'm not going to watch.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Itchy on February 11, 2018, 10:39:14 PM
Another top showing. Highlights from Dublin v Donegal  (eir sport), mayo v Galway  (tg4) and kildare v Tyrone  (tg4) and bizarrely Armagh v longford in div3 was only "new" footage. 3 Div 2 games ignored again. Pathetic. Next time I'm not going to watch.

I had a feeling that was going to happen when the Monaghan/Kerry game was called off. Probably just sent the camera crew to the nearest ground.

Easytiger will probably be along soon to put me right!

Throw ball

I enjoyed the digs between Cavanagh and O'Shea. Didn't agree on much.

FermGael

Quote from: Itchy on February 11, 2018, 10:39:14 PM

And they had highlights of the Armagh match because of the cameras that are installed in the Athletic grounds that are used for Armagh TV.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Jinxy

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2018, 11:09:18 PM
It would seem that we (i.e. county boards, gaa and most of all those horrible c***ts at RTE) have now become guilty of not fully embracing as yet unavailable technology, to record dismal highlights of natches that nobody much really wants.

Syf why not just jump beyond automated cameraman, and devise a payment gateway to rent a share of someone's eyes from people who are at the match? Because all I'm getting from this thread is that everyone wants something different.

Don't be giving him ideas.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on February 11, 2018, 11:01:02 PM

The irony is he's basically describing a subscription version of Google Glass, which is a five year old product. Elon Musk sent a car to Mars last week and some here think automated camera systems are outlandish..

Jinxy

So I could watch a match through your eyes and listen to the commentary through your ears with the technology available to us now?
What an age we live in.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

easytiger95

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2018, 11:02:21 PM

The irony is he's basically describing a subscription version of Google Glass, which is a five year old product. Elon Musk sent a car to Mars last week and some here think automated camera systems are outlandish..
Automated cameras are already used all over the world, but usually in much slower moving enviroments than live sporting events and under the supervision of camera operators and directors (it's a manpower thing, allows one man control more than one cam)
What you were suggesting was cameras with AI, which would cut out operators altogether. That is decades away, especially in the context of live sporting events.
The ignorance being displayed here is quite breathtaking, especially from people who are claiming knowledge of techology.
And finally, elon musk didn't send a car to mars. If it actually lands safely on the planet than you can say that, rather than being catapulted into space as a demonstration of Falcon Heavy's load capacity.
No doubt though, if it does land on the Red Planet, some here will be demanding that the dummy at the wheel send back coverage of any local junior B club games taking place there.

Whishtup

It looks like Tomas O'Shea actually isn't taking the time to watch some of the games that he's reflecting on and just reverts to cliche'd diatribe to get through his slot.  Disappointing.  Man, these TV licenses kill me...

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 12, 2018, 12:02:46 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2018, 11:02:21 PM

Automated cameras are already used all over the world, but usually in much slower moving enviroments than live sporting events and under the supervision of camera operators and directors (it's a manpower thing, allows one man control more than one cam)
What you were suggesting was cameras with AI, which would cut out operators altogether. That is decades away, especially in the context of live sporting events.
The ignorance being displayed here is quite breathtaking, especially from people who are claiming knowledge of techology.
And finally, elon musk didn't send a car to mars. If it actually lands safely on the planet than you can say that, rather than being catapulted into space as a demonstration of Falcon Heavy's load capacity.
No doubt though, if it does land on the Red Planet, some here will be demanding that the dummy at the wheel send back coverage of any local junior B club games taking place there.

The ignorance is thinking it's multiple decades away. I'm sorry if you can't see it from your industry but as someone who has a working knowledge of AI (and image recognition software, as it happens) it's pretty clear you're going to be utterly amazed by what's possible in 2028, nevermind 2038. AI is basically about feeding parameters into datasets, what to do when x happens, what not to do when y happens. The more data, the better the AI solutions will become.

Self-driving cars, automated cameras, trams, drone delivery, personal assistants, it will all start accelerating at an incredible pace because the underlying logic can be repurposed in a lot of ways. Trust me when I say that there are trillions and not billions in play with AI and IoT devices and what industries they will disrupt. Broadcasting is a speck dust in the wider context and it is one of the least immune to it if I'm being frank. Everyone thinks their job can't be automated until the moment it is. That to me is the arrogance in all this. Same story since beginning the industrial revolution.

easytiger95

Let us just recap your ignorance

You suggested AI cameras were viable solutions for broadcasting now- i work in broadcasting- they are not

You suggested that a lack of an online repository of multiple club and intercounty games ( up the the thousands) is merely a result of ignorance and technophobia on the part of the broadcast industry in ireland, an industry you have never worked in - i do and it's not- it is a function of cost issues, scheduling issues and rights issues

Your continued suggestion that match coverage will be fully automated shows me that you have never set foot in an OB truck in your life, and have no concept of how that process actually works- if you did you would realise on site editorial decisions shape the coverage you watch today far more than technology and how technology has to be tailored to the subject being covered ( for reference you should look up some of the factors behind the failure of live 3d coverage of sports events during the last decade)

You also think elon musk sent a car to Mars

And whenever the inconsistencies in your arguments are pointed out, you change the subject and propose something else equally outlandish

I may not know the amount currently being invested in AI but i know this- if it looks like a spoofer, talks like a spoofer, sounds like a spoofer- it's a spoofer.

My only hope is that the silicon valley demigods you put so much faith in, might actually research the speck like industry you are saying they are going to disrupt, and come up with solutions that actually make sense when they do. Unlike yourself.