Munster Senior Club Final Dr Crokes V The Nire

Started by SuperDooperCooper, December 05, 2006, 01:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Game fixed for Cork at 2pm on Sunday.
It's live on TG4.
Don't know much about The Nire but Crokes were excellent in the win over Nemo, should have won by double scores really.
This Crokes team have lost the last two Kerry county finals and the only trophy of note they have won is the East Kerry Championship (O'Donoghue Cup).
This represents a massive game for a team whose oldest player is Eoin Brosnan and he is only 26. They have a lot of Kerry minors on the team from the teams in 04,05 and '06. They also have Keiran O'Leary whowas with the Kerry Seniors this year. They are young and light a wet day should suit them but more importantly they are not used to winning trophy's which made the win over Nemo all the more surprising.
Crokes aren't the most popular club in Kerry (or even Killarney) but most Kerry people will support them I'd say.

Attached is the match report from the victory over Nemo:
Dr. Crokes in rude health

Dr. Crokes 2-10  Nemo Rangers 0-10.
Showing no ill effects of their County final defeat, Dr. Crokes dumped Nemo Rangers out of this season's Munster Club championship in Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday, and in the process became the first Kerry club side to inflict a defeat on this famed Cork club in the 35 year history of this competition.

This was a magnificent team effort by a highly focused Dr. Crokes side who were all heroes on the day, but none more so than magnificent midfielder Eoin Brosnan who dominated all through, covering acres of ground and ensuring a plentiful supply for the forwards.
Nemo started the livelier and led 0-3 to 0-1. after five minutes with points from Morgan, O'Brien, and a James Masters free.
Kieran Brosnan had Dr. Crokes' opening score with a punched point following good work by Andrew Kenneally.
Both sides missed reasonable chances from placed balls and in the 10th minute Colm Cooper narrowed the gap to the minimum with a pointed free, and almost immediately wing back Batty Moriarty on the overlap brought parity to the proceedings with a excellent left footed equalizer.
Dr. Crokes were now beginning to assert themselves in all areas, but James Masters edged Nemo in front with an excellent point from close to the sideline in the 16th minute.

Advantage
This proved to be their final score of the half as Dr. Crokes took control and pressed home the advantage with five unanswered points. After Colm Cooper had equalized for the second time with a 30yd free,  Kieran Brosnan put them in the lead in the 18th minute with a long range effort.
Kieran O'Leary was now getting the better of his marker and contributed two excellent efforts from long range and another by Cooper following a long delivery by Brosnan which had Crokes leading by double scores at the break 0-08 to 0-04.
On the resumption, Brosnan stretched the lead in the first minute with a point, Paul Kerrigan narrowed the gap in the third but then came the defining moment in the 37th minute when a long delivery from Fleming was flicked on by Kenneally to Cooper who expertly tucked it into the net.

leading
Five minutes later Cooper turned provider, taking a quick free after being fouled, and Brian Looney finished to the net to leave Dr. Crokes leading 2-09 to 0-06. While Nemo tried hard in the final quarter and were rewarded by points by Masters and Kerrigan, there was no way through the tight-marking Croke defence, and they ran out comfortable winners to book their pace in the Munster Club Final.
The Dr. Crokes defence as a unit were magnificent, snuffing out the Nemo threat. Brosnan lorded it at midfield, ably assisted by Ambrose O'Donovan, while in attack captain James Fleming had a vice-like grip on the breaking ball. Kenneally, whilst not on the scoring sheet, worked tirelessly. Looney, O'Leary and the superb Cooper had the beating of their opponents.

Teams and Scorers
Dr.Crokes
Kieran Cremin, Keith McMahon, Luke Quinn, Mike Moloney, Batt Moriarty 0-1, Brian McMahon, Eanna Kavanagh, Ambrose O'Donovan, Eoin Brosnan 0-1, Brian Looney 1-0, Kieran Brosnan 0-2, Andrew Kenneally, Colm Cooper 1-4 (3f), James Fleming, Kieran O'Leary 0-2.
Subs: J. Cahillane for B. McMahon; V. Cooper for Looney; S. Doolan for Moriarty.

Nemo Rangers
D. Heaphy; C. O'Shea, P. Brophy, G. Murphy; B. Twomey, D. Kavanagh, M. Daly; D. Mehigan, M. Cronin; M. McCarthy, A. Morgan 0-1, D. Niblock; J. Masters 0-6 (4f), S. O'Brien 0-1, P. Kerrigan 0-2.
Subs: R. Kenny for Morgan; B. O'Regan for Daly; D. Kearney for Brophy; J. Kerins for Mehigan; C. O'Brien for Twomey.
Referee: B. Tyrell (Tipperary).

AZOffaly

QuoteCrokes aren't the most popular club in Kerry (or even Killarney) but most Kerry people will support them I'd say.

The first part is correct SuperDooper, but I'm not sure about the second. My bias is South Kerry based with a good few friends and in-laws down there, but I doubt any of them will be shouting for the Crokes.

SuperDooperCooper

I know where you are coming from AZ. Crokes wouldn't be my favourite team either but they have a few young players (O'Leary and especially Kennally), who have a genuine chance of making the grade at senior inter county level and I wouldn't mind seeing them progress to see how the lads fare. That said there will be no crocodile tear in Kerry if the Crokes lose. Eamonn Horan (Former sports editor of the Kerryman) once wrote that he watched the 1992 club final between Crokes and Thomas Davis in Dingle and the whole pub supported Thomas Davis and went dead quite at the final whistle after Crokes won, I don't think things would be as bad as that this time around.

Onlooker

Would it not be great for the game if The Nire were to win this final.   Their win over Aherlow was well earned and hard won and I would expect great support for The Nire on Sunday, not only from Waterford, but also from the neighbouring football areas of South Tipperary.

Kerry Mike

I am throwing my weight behind the Crokes tis a pity South Kerry are not representing us, but no problem with them really even though they are townies and are always mouthing off but hopefully they can capture the Munster title.

Gooch has had a tough year personally so it would be nice for him and his family to round off the year on a winning note.

They have a good young group of players but time will tell if they are still a bit too raw.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Ball Hopper

Would the winners be expected to keep training hard over the next few months?  If the Crokes were to make it out of Munster, Gooch, Eoin, Cremin, and O'Leary will basically have no off-season, as the NFL will start in early Feb. 

Hardly the best way to prepare for a stern defending of Sam.

Would be interesting to go back over the club winners and check how many players went on to AI success the same year.  I bet not too many.

Kerry Mike

AIB MUNSTER SF CHAMPIONS - ROLL OF HONOUR
1970/71 - East Kerry
1971/72 - UCC (Cork)
1972/73 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1973/74 - UCC (Cork)
1974/75 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1975/76 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1976/77 - Austin Stacks (Kerry)
1977/78 - Thomond College (Limerick)
1978/79 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1979/80 - St.Finbarr's (Cork)
1980/81 - St.Finbarr's (Cork)
1981/82 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1982/83 - St.Finbarr's (Cork)
1983/84 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1984/85 - Castleisland Desmonds (Kerry)
1985/86 - Castleisland Desmonds (Kerry)
1986/87 - St.Finbarr's (Cork)
1987/88 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1988/89 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1989/90 - Castlehaven (Cork)
1990/91 - DR.CROKES (Kerry)
1991/92 - DR.DROKES (Kerry)
1992/93 - O'Donovan Rossa (Cork)
1993/94 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
1994/95 - Castlehaven (Cork)
1995/96 - Laune Rangers (Kerry)
1996/97 - Laune Rangers (Kerry)
1997/98 - Castlehaven (Cork)
1998/99 - Doonbeg (Clare)
1999/2000 - UCC (Cork)
2000/2001 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
2001/2002 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
2002/2003 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)
2003/2004 - An Ghaeltacht (Kerry)
2004/2005 - Kilmurry-Ibrickane (Clare)
2005/2006 - Nemo Rangers (Cork)

Previous Kerry Winners
2- Castleisland Desmonds
2 - Dr.Crokes
2- Laune Rangers
1 - East Kerry
1 - Austin Stacks
1 - An Ghaeltacht

Previous Waterford Winners - 0
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

I think we played Crokes in a tournament match in John Mitchells in Tralee back in 1992. They were All Ireland Club champions I think, and we beat them by a couple of points. The only thing I remember from that game was that Connie Murphy got stretchered off in agony after tearing his knee ligaments by getting his foot caught as he chased after one of our lads. It was very sad for him, and more or less finished him off I think. He was a good one.

turk

I think the nire could do well in this match.
they could get hammered either but this notion of clubs from weaker counties just going lying down is not a factor at this stage.

what are the best match odds?

SuperDooperCooper

Sounds dodgy for the Nire - Crokes playing for a throphy called after a club member!!!!

KERRY  GAA  SCENE   BY WILLIE O'CONNOR
We wish Dr. Crokes the very best of luck in their quest for Munster Club Championship honours on this Sunday when they play the Waterford County Champions, The Nire in the final of the AIB Munster Club Football Championship at Páirc Uí Chaoimh at 2.00 p.m.

Dr. Crokes had a great morale boosting victory against Cork County Champions, Nemo Rangers in the semi-final. If they can sustain that level of performance for the full duration of Sunday's Final it would be difficult for any opposition to hold them. 

Nevertheless The Nire came through in flying colours in a hard fought semi-final replay against the Tipperary Champions, Aherlow at Fraher Field, Dungarvan last Sunday.  They will have gained valuable experience from the replay and should provide a good challenge to the Crokes, who also kept ticking over with their O'Donoghue Cup semi-final victory over Gneeveguilla last Sunday.

A victory for Dr. Crokes in Sunday's final will have an added significance in that the trophy for the Munster Senior Club Football Championship is named after the late Michael O'Connor, former Munster Council Chairman and Treasurer.  Michael won many titles as a Crokes player and he was an excellent club administrator, serving a decade as secretary of Dr Crokes, while he still was a senior player and then revitalising the Fitzgerald Stadium Committee when he became its secretary 1965. He was the driving force behind the development of the stadium now acknowledged as amongst the best in the country.

MUNSTER INTERMEDIATE SEMI-FINAL
Ardfert are away to the Tipperary Champions, Mullinahone, at Cloneen this Sunday at 2.00 p.m. in the semi-final of the Munster Intermediate Football Championship.  Cloneen is near Fethard in Co. Tipperary. Extra time will be played if necessary. Mullinahone defeated the Cork Champions, St.Vincent's in last Sunday's quarterfinal.

Like Ardfert, Mullinahone is a senior hurling club with Hurling All-Star Eoin Kelly as their best-known player.  His brother Paul and Tipperary midfield player also plays with them along with Tipperary full back Paul Curran. Former Tipperary star John Leahy, who is on the Tipperary Senior Hurling management is a native of Mullinahone.

Ardfert know that they face a strong challenge on Sunday and they will have to draw on all the experience they gained from winning last year's Munster and All-Ireland Junior Club titles as they take the step up to the Intermediate grade.  We wish them the best of luck and hope that they can win a place in the Munster Final where Clare Champions, Corofin await the winners of this semi-final.

MUNSTER JUNIOR SEMI-FINAL
Last Sunday Duagh travelled to Waterford City to play Mount Sion in the semi-final of the Munster Junior Club Football Championship and had a very comfortable victory.  We all wish them the very best of luck in the Munster Final on Sunday December 17th. They will meet the Cork Champions, Adrigole or the Tipperary Champions, Portroe whose semi-final last was postponed due to pitch conditions.  That semi-final has been rescheduled for this Saturday at Toomevara.