Offaly vs. Galway 20/06/2010

Started by Bord na Mona man, June 18, 2010, 08:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Galway team to play Offaly:

2 Changes for Galway
Date : 17/06/2010
There are 2 changes on the Galway team to play Offaly in the Leinster Senior Hurling Semi-final on Sunday At 4pm in Croke Park. Aonghus Callanan and Iarla Tannian come for Andy Smith & Joe Gantley.

Galway S.H. Team v Offaly

Colm Callanan

Damien Joyce
Shane Kavanagh
Ollie Canning

Donal Barry
Tony Og Regan
David Collins

Ger Farragher
David Burke

Damien Hayes
Cyril Donnellan
Aonghus Callanan

Aidan Harte
Joe Canning
Iarla Tannian

Bord na Mona man

Offaly will be up against it, but maybe we could catch Galway napping.
It doesn't seem likely though.

seafoid

A tight match would be the best for both teams. If Mexico can beat France surely Offaly can put it up to Galway. 

The very slow turnover of the hurling part of this site is noteworthy. It must be less than 5% of posters who are interested in the game. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

youbetterbelieveit

Would hope to see Offaly give Galway a good game and not have Galway completely run away with it. It should be noted that Offaly only barely overcame a poor Antrim side so I don't hold out much for them in this game.

johnneycool

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on June 18, 2010, 11:14:03 AM
Would hope to see Offaly give Galway a good game and not have Galway completely run away with it. It should be noted that Offaly only barely overcame a poor Antrim side so I don't hold out much for them in this game.

Galway don't carry the favourites mantel too well and the Biffo's know they'll need to up their game considerably. I still fancy Galway but it won't be a walk in the park.

Galway by 5 or so.

bottlethrower7

Offaly will give it a rattle, thats for sure. They seem to be at their best this year when they feel they have nothing to lose. But even in those games they've often come up short. Their best win to date is probably that over Dublin in the league, where they were underdogs, and fully expected to lose.

I wouldn't be worried about the Antrim game. That was on a tight field in Parnell Park, which Antrim teams typically love (both club and county), and Offaly mindset might well have been questionable.

I can't see them beating Galway, though no great shakes themselves. It'll be interesting to see what Galway are like actually. In the league they seemed to want to mix it a little more physically than in recent years. When a team changes their style of play that way, often their skill level might decline somewhat. But, Galway will still get their scores, through Canning, and a mixture of other players.

I think Galway by 5 is probably a fair shout, though I expect it'll be a match right to the death.

Bord na Mona man

Its hard to know how Offaly will do.
For the last few years, Offaly have shipped plenty of double digit beatings teams from the upper end of the top 8.
Typically they've gone out with all guns blazing in the first half, kept the scores even but and collapsed in the second half, usually when a goal is conceded.
Often the games finish with a procession of cake walk scores for our opponents, to make the scoreboard look woeful.

If Offaly can get beyond the 45-60 minute spell without Galway putting 10 points onto the margin - and be within touching distance it would be progress. The bigger Croke Park pitch will suit Galway who will rather keep the game open and high scoring.

The glimmer of hope for Offaly is that the Galway forward line doesn't have a big spread of scoring machines.
At the other end Offaly will be hoping Shane Dooley keeps on his scoring streak and Joe Bergin has one of his good days.

seafoid

I hope itys a good match. I don't buy the uibh fhaili beal bocht. If they do lose I hope Offaly can tip tipp out of the championship and if they win I would like to see them beating Kilkenny. It is a real pity that 2 such fine counties have to play each other when the real job is to shift the noble 3 off their F%^&*9 perch. 

fearglasmor

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2010, 09:44:47 PM
I hope itys a good match. I don't buy the uibh fhaili beal bocht. If they do lose I hope Offaly can tip tipp out of the championship and if they win I would like to see them beating Kilkenny. It is a real pity that 2 such fine counties have to play each other when the real job is to shift the noble 3 off their F%^&*9 perch.

Jesus..........  its easy to have the beal bocht when the spuds have been black in the ground for the last 10 years.
Hard to see Offaly finishing within 10 points of the connacht men.  Hope I'm wrong.

maxpower

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on June 18, 2010, 03:55:38 PM
Offaly will give it a rattle, thats for sure. They seem to be at their best this year when they feel they have nothing to lose. But even in those games they've often come up short. Their best win to date is probably that over Dublin in the league, where they were underdogs, and fully expected to lose.

I wouldn't be worried about the Antrim game. That was on a tight field in Parnell Park, which Antrim teams typically love (both club and county), and Offaly mindset might well have been questionable.

I can't see them beating Galway, though no great shakes themselves. It'll be interesting to see what Galway are like actually. In the league they seemed to want to mix it a little more physically than in recent years. When a team changes their style of play that way, often their skill level might decline somewhat. But, Galway will still get their scores, through Canning, and a mixture of other players.

I think Galway by 5 is probably a fair shout, though I expect it'll be a match right to the death.

Antrim teams HATE parnell park, both club and county and with the possible exception of Cushendall performance against St Joseph's a few years back have never played to their potential.

As for the Galway Offaly game like many i fancy Offaly to make a decent fist of it but for galway to run out 7 points plus winners in the end.
What happens next????

seafoid

Galway 2-14 Biffos 3-8 but that's after 2 Galway goals in 2 minutes. Sounds like a great match.

Louth Exile

Fair play to the 14 Biffo men, super finish to great game. Dooley showed some balls with the equaliser after missing a few before that
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

seafoid

So it's a draw. The biffos aren't as bad as their press.

longrunsthefox

... or Galway aren't as good. Looking ominous as Tipp and Galway considered biggest obstacles to Kilkenny's 5-in-a-row don't appear to be all they were cracked up to be. Don't think Cork can trouble the Cats either. 

Milltown Row2

Antrim could maybe win it this year!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea