The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, April 14, 2010, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Spain could just have booked themselves a last 16 meeting with Brazil (or a ticket home)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 16, 2010, 04:49:12 PM
5 minutes of injury time. What is that for?

Howard Webb must be mistaking the red of Spain for the red of Man United
You'll Never Walk Alone.

paco

Quote from: ross4life on June 16, 2010, 04:52:59 PM
I'm sure all those people that backed Spain for the World Cup are quite worried now, if they don't beat Chile they could be knocked out in the group stages

I don't think so. They created a lot of chances, Navas, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta were all within inches of scoring. Just one of those days as the pundits are saying. Interesting to see what happened Iniesta.

Bogball XV

don't want to keep on about this, but the ball must be a factor - i've never seen those spanish players struggle so much with control, passing and shooting.  It's ruining the tournament imo.

paco

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 16, 2010, 05:00:27 PM
don't want to keep on about this, but the ball must be a factor - i've never seen those spanish players struggle so much with control, passing and shooting.  It's ruining the tournament imo.

+1

Denn Forever

Will Eamon Dunphy's head explode now as he tries to explain how Spain will win the World Cup now?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 16, 2010, 05:00:27 PM

Crossing is absolute shite

ONeill

Surprised Fabregas didn't get a run out.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on June 16, 2010, 04:52:59 PM
I'm sure all those people that backed Spain for the World Cup are quite worried now, if they don't beat Chile they could be knocked out in the group stages

Ah I dunno Ross, I think they will be secretly happy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

paco

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2010, 05:04:48 PM
Surprised Fabregas didn't get a run out.

Musn't be fully fit, Torres definitely didn't look it. Can't understand why Del Bosque felt the need to play a 5 man midfield against the Swiss, who don't offer much going forward.

Catch the high ball

I think he should have left Torres on the bench and brought on Fabregas or someone else because Torres was nowhere near his best, 2 or 3 times his touch let him down at vital times, if Villa had of been in those situations he could have got a goal.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

Croí na hÉireann

I see Hamann is taking over from Souness as Dunphys new best friend, isn't that right Didi, Didi knows this, Didi knows that  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

I don't think any team has lost its first match and gone on to win the World Cup.  I seem to remember Holland won Euro 88 after losing their opener but I don't think its happened at the WC.

Minder

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 16, 2010, 05:16:33 PM
I don't think any team has lost its first match and gone on to win the World Cup.  I seem to remember Holland won Euro 88 after losing their opener but I don't think its happened at the WC.

Argentina lost their first at Italia 90 and got to the final. I think it was 2 pts for a win then, not sure.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Quote from: Minder on June 16, 2010, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 16, 2010, 05:16:33 PM

Argentina lost their first at Italia 90 and got to the final. I think it was 2 pts for a win then, not sure.

Yes, this has happened a few times.  Italy lost their opener to some rabble in 1994 and went to the final.  In taht tournament three out of the four teams qualified for the second stage