Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

From the Bunker

Jez, there is a lot getting carried away here. Many talking about Dublin's demise, Mayo quick re-emergence.

I've never heard so much written about a county like Mayo that has been propping up Dublin since 2013. Dublin must love this! Mayo ran Dublin close. Dublin hate playing Mayo. Dublin fear Mayo. Dublin respect Mayo. Only Mayo give Dublin a game. Blah de Blah! It has to be one of the most one sided rivalries where the perception is that both teams are equals.

It's amazing how rose tinted the glasses are for our own county giving us exaggerated hope. Mayo are moving in the right direction, but replacing the golden bunch of 2013-17 won't happen over night and maybe will never happen. Dublin still have the mainstay on the pitch to eek out another AI title. They are definitely still ahead of Mayo.

MayoBuck

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2021, 11:45:55 PM
Jez, there is a lot getting carried away here. Many talking about Dublin's demise, Mayo quick re-emergence.

I've never heard so much written about a county like Mayo that has been propping up Dublin since 2013. Dublin must love this! Mayo ran Dublin close. Dublin hate playing Mayo. Dublin fear Mayo. Dublin respect Mayo. Only Mayo give Dublin a game. Blah de Blah! It has to be one of the most one sided rivalries where the perception is that both teams are equals.

It's amazing how rose tinted the glasses are for our own county giving us exaggerated hope. Mayo are moving in the right direction, but replacing the golden bunch of 2013-17 won't happen over night and maybe will never happen. Dublin still have the mainstay on the pitch to eek out another AI title. They are definitely still ahead of Mayo.

It's funny how perceptions are. We beat Galway by 6 points and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Dublin beat Kildare by 8 points and were never in any danger of losing yet they are stuttering and on the decline.

thewobbler

Watching Dublin lethargically go through the motions on Sunday I couldn't help wondering if they've still got the hunger to match an eager, athletic team that will go at them full tilt. Which of course is Mayo. And we know that Dublin don't have the bench to change direction if things aren't right. And we know Durcan can silence Kilkenny, and even if he's battered and bruised, Leroy will do a decent job on O'Callaghan. Or vice versa.

But I just can't see it happening. I can't see Mayo having the scoring power to hit Dublin got
the 22-23 points that'll be needed, not without COC.

Oddly I do think that if Mayo do it, it'll be like the rout they handed out to Donegal; with Dublin forced to come out and Mayo running at them for fun. But if it's any way a tight game, Dublin will just suffocate the ball and keep Mayo at bay.

From the Bunker

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 02, 2021, 11:57:46 PM

It's funny how perceptions are. We beat Galway by 6 points and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Dublin beat Kildare by 8 points and were never in any danger of losing yet they are stuttering and on the decline.

Dublin beat Kildare by 2-23 - 1-17 in 2017.

Dublin beat Kildare by 0-20 - 1-09 on Sunday

Was anybody saying Dublin were in decline in 2017?

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 12:05:19 AM

Ah now come on - compare the Dublin squad of 2017 with the one of today.
The 2017 version was clearly superior. Look at the bounce they received from the guys they were able to spring from the bench.
Connolly, McMenamin, Brogan, Flynn, Scully & Costello were the 6 subs used in the final.
The current squad is clearly weaker.
That's not to say they aren't capable of winning the AI mind - but there isn't any doubt their squad is considerably weaker than it was.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 02, 2021, 12:33:07 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 02, 2021, 07:19:08 AM
Really don't want to go through another Mayo match, its too stressful.

Mayo have a great shout imo, but nothing focuses the Dubs more than the sight of the Mayo Jersey.

Dublin have a lot of work to do over the next 2 weeks to get to Mayo's level  of intensity they bring to games.

And nothing focused Mayo more than the sight of a Dublin jersey

Very True. Personally I hate Mayo games. Heart cant take it, would rather play Kerry  ;D

Tubberman

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 03, 2021, 09:17:02 AM

Mayo have a great shout imo, but nothing focuses the Dubs more than the sight of the Mayo Jersey.

Dublin have a lot of work to do over the next 2 weeks to get to Mayo's level  of intensity they bring to games.

Very True. Personally I hate Mayo games. Heart cant take it, would rather play Kerry  ;D

In 2016 and 2017 that might have been the case, I doubt it still holds true.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on August 02, 2021, 10:05:06 PM

I expect Mayo to finally end their Dublin hoodoo and win the semi final, however I then expect them to be be battered in the final by Kerry in yet another All Ireland defeat.

Despite this I think Dublin would give Kerry a better game in the final. Kerry wouldn't fear Mayo or Dublin, but they'd be alot more wary of the dubs

Kerry have to beat Tyrone first

Blowitupref

Quote from: galwayman on August 03, 2021, 03:15:22 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 12:05:19 AM

Ah now come on - compare the Dublin squad of 2017 with the one of today.
The 2017 version was clearly superior. Look at the bounce they received from the guys they were able to spring from the bench.
Connolly, McMenamin, Brogan, Flynn, Scully & Costello were the 6 subs used in the final.
The current squad is clearly weaker.
That's not to say they aren't capable of winning the AI mind - but there isn't any doubt their squad is considerably weaker than it was.

This is great opportunity to take out the Dubs, whether or not Mayo are good enough on the day remains to be seen.

Gone as you say is the strength in depth advantage that Dublin had over Mayo. In the terms of intensity, fitness, pace Mayo will match up very well with Dublin on August 14th. Dublins form both individually and collectively is not at their normal high level, people and pundits are waiting for them to click into gear simliar was the case in 2012.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Dublin definitely not the team they were and they don't have that same impact off the bench. A pity COC is out he's some loss. Huge opportunity for Mayo, they definitely have the ability to beat Dublin

yellowcard

The most relevant form guide for this match is last years AI final. Dublin won the match by 5 points but the game was closely contested and very competitive for long spells and it was only in the last 15/20 minutes that Dublin managed to put some distance between themselves and Mayo. Howard and Mannion made a big difference off the bench whilst the Mayo subs did not have any impact at all. Mayo lost Paddy Durcan to injury at half time which was a huge loss to them in the second half. Mayo competed probably a lot better than I would have expected pre match given that they were a side in transition with so many new players.

Look at the trajectory of both sides since then. I think most people would be of the opinion that Mayo are better equipped this year than last to compete against Dublin. The big cloud is the injury to Cillian O'Connor who they will undoubtedly miss for his free kicks and leadership if nothing else. Dublin on the other hand do not have the same firepower to unleash from the bench as they did last year and have suffered with the loss of some key personnel since last years final. There are also unanswered questions around their levels of desire as they struggle to find the necessary challenges to keep them stimulated. Add in the ongoing fall out from the Cluxton situation and you could easily make a claim for a Mayo win. Yet there remains a lingering doubt. Can this current Mayo side really topple the greatest side in GAA history, I'm not so sure. Thirty one counties would love to see it but Dublin still look the most likely winner of this match.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:10:47 PM
The most relevant form guide for this match is last years AI final. Dublin won the match by 5 points but the game was closely contested and very competitive for long spells and it was only in the last 15/20 minutes that Dublin managed to put some distance between themselves and Mayo. Howard and Mannion made a big difference off the bench whilst the Mayo subs did not have any impact at all. Mayo lost Paddy Durcan to injury at half time which was a huge loss to them in the second half. Mayo competed probably a lot better than I would have expected pre match given that they were a side in transition with so many new players.

Look at the trajectory of both sides since then. I think most people would be of the opinion that Mayo are better equipped this year than last to compete against Dublin. The big cloud is the injury to Cillian O'Connor who they will undoubtedly miss for his free kicks and leadership if nothing else. Dublin on the other hand do not have the same firepower to unleash from the bench as they did last year and have suffered with the loss of some key personnel since last years final. There are also unanswered questions around their levels of desire as they struggle to find the necessary challenges to keep them stimulated. Add in the ongoing fall out from the Cluxton situation and you could easily make a claim for a Mayo win. Yet there remains a lingering doubt. Can this current Mayo side really topple the greatest side in GAA history, I'm not so sure. Thirty one counties would love to see it but Dublin still look the most likely winner of this match.
That team and squad isn't there anymore though.

RedHand88

rosnarun

I thought there were real signs of the old Dublin last Saturday .
Long Boring passages  with kildare not being able to get a tackle in and then an easy point at the end of  30 passes or so.
Horrible to watch it might as well be Soccer but Dublin are taking advantage of  referees more or less outlawing the tackle .
now if the rules were changed im sure Dublin would adapt along with them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 03, 2021, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:10:47 PM

That team and squad isn't there anymore though.

I wouldn't argue with that but it is still a huge psychological barrier for any side to overcome in the final minutes of a finely balanced game against Dublin. Kerry should have had them beaten when they led against 14 men in the drawn final of 2019 but there was an element of finishing line stage fright as Dublin dominated the ball in the last 5-10 minutes of that match. To beat Dublin any side will have to be better than them but also overcome that mental barrier. It would be very ironic if a relatively new Mayo side were the team to do it.