County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

If Peter Keane remained as Kerry manager they might win an All-Ireland because the players he has at his disposal are that good that they might win it anyway.

But they wouldn't be winning it because of him.

He just isn't very good as a manager at this level.

Donie Buckley leaving the set up was an indictment. Buckley is now lined up as part of a proposed alternative management team under Stephen Stack.

And Kerry's losses to Cork and Tyrone were also an indictment of the set up. They were matches Kerry should have had in their pocket.

I don't believe Kerry would have beaten Mayo in the final, by the way, I think they would have played to Mayo's strengths in a way Tyrone didn't.

the goal was on

Donnie Buckley gets some coverage for a coach. Was he not with Kerry when beat by cork? Was he involved with those naive mayo teams? Even look at Monaghan last year, shocking defending against Armagh and tyrone at times . He's obviously a decent coach but not sure he's won a lot?

sid waddell

Quote from: the goal was on on September 23, 2021, 12:35:51 PM
Donnie Buckley gets some coverage for a coach. Was he not with Kerry when beat by cork? Was he involved with those naive mayo teams? Even look at Monaghan last year, shocking defending against Armagh and tyrone at times . He's obviously a decent coach but not sure he's won a lot?
He had left long before that. 2019 was the only year he was involved.

His record speaks for itself. He improves teams hugely.

yellowcard

Quote from: the goal was on on September 23, 2021, 12:35:51 PM

The buck stops with the manager. When you're a backroom team member then you can always hide behind that if things go badly but win and you're hailed as a genius. This applies to S & C coaches, performance coaches and all other sorts of backroom team members, its a no lose situation for them. Buckley does get an awful lot of praise for a man that has not won an All Ireland though.

I don't know if Peter Keane is the answer to Kerry but whilst they had an abberration last year against Cork, this year they were playing probably the best football seen since a peak Dublin of a few years ago - at least up until the Tyrone match. They became too obsessed with beating Dublin but on balance I think Keane deserves another year.     

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on September 23, 2021, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: toby47 on September 23, 2021, 11:21:59 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 23, 2021, 09:38:49 AM
I wouldnt be particularly a fan of Peter Keane, but I think he's been really hard done by!

They were a whisker away from Tyrone and I think would have handled Mayo (or Dublin) handy enough in the final.

I'd make them warm favourites to win next year if they retained Keane. But a new manager with new ideas, new gameplan, maybe new players, will inevitably lead to a step back, and while that may subsequently lead to two steps forward, it's more of a gamble.

Look at Tyrone this year...
Oh not saying first time managers can't win. It has happened quite a few times in the last 30 years.
Peter Keane would be going into Year 4 if he remained.

For All-Ireland winning managers, winning early after coming into the job is the norm, with few exceptions. There are very few managers who win their first All-Ireland in Year 4 or afterwards. Which is not very optimistic for James Horan.

No All-Ireland winning manager has won their first title in Year 4 or later since Sean Boylan. Eugene McGee is the only other one going back to the 1970s since Kevin Heffernan pretty much started the modern concept of the manager.

And they did it by slowly building up a team from a low base. They didn't do it in Kerry.

Kevin Heffernan - 1st year
Mick O'Dwyer - 1st year
Tony Hanahoe - 1st year
Eugene McGee - 6th year
Sean Boylan - 5th year
Billy Morgan - 3rd year
Peter McGrath - 2nd year
Brian McEniff - 3rd year (of that particular spell – he had had two previous spells as manager)
Eamon Coleman - 3rd year
Pat O'Neill - 3rd year
Paidi O'Se - 2nd year
John O'Mahony - 1st year
Joe Kernan - 1st year
Mickey Harte - 1st year
Jack O'Connor - 1st year
Pat O'Shea - 1st year
Conor Counihan - 3rd year
Pat Gilroy - 3rd year
Jim McGuinness - 2nd year
Jim Gavin - 1st year
Eamonn Fitzmaurice - 2nd year
Dessie Farrell - 1st year
Brian Dooher/Fergal Logan - 1st year

rodney trotter

CONFIRMED: Jack O'Connor will return as
@Kerry_Official
football manager next season. He will be joined by selectors Mike Quirke and Diarmuid Murphy. Nothing yet on Paddy Tally joining the ticket. More on
@ExaminerSport

yellowcard

What a surprise!! You could see this coming from a mile off as soon as Jack O'Connor threw his hat in the ring whilst still Kildare manager even though the Kerry job wasn't available at that point. Whether Keane deserved another year is open for debate but he was treated shabbily by Kerry in the end and Jack O'Connor doesn't come out of it very well either.

There was a pretence that the job was open for applications but the reality is that O'Connor had been sounded out in advance.

Baile an tuaigh

I agree with you. Could you imagine the reaction if old nemesis Tyrone knock them out of the All Ireland next year.

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on September 24, 2021, 09:12:10 PM
What a surprise!! You could see this coming from a mile off as soon as Jack O'Connor threw his hat in the ring whilst still Kildare manager even though the Kerry job wasn't available at that point. Whether Keane deserved another year is open for debate but he was treated shabbily by Kerry in the end and Jack O'Connor doesn't come out of it very well either.

There was a pretence that the job was open for applications but the reality is that O'Connor had been sounded out in advance.

What's the logic in bringing back Jack. Hasn't he been there twice before. I would expect he wil be gunning for tyrone next year.

yellowcard

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 24, 2021, 10:01:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 24, 2021, 09:12:10 PM

What's the logic in bringing back Jack. Hasn't he been there twice before. I would expect he wil be gunning for tyrone next year.

I don't know but it's a poor reflection on other prospective managers within Kerry if they're winding the clock back 17 years. Worse still if he takes Paddy Tally in to coach them how to play football, just look at the type of football Galway and Down played under him.

the goal was on

Be interesting to see how Clifford goes at left half back under tally!!

From the Bunker

In fairness, O'Connor knows how to beat Mayo and Cork in All Ireland Finals.

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2021, 11:12:08 PM

In all fairness, Mayo never turned up in 2004, they beat themselves.

mrdeeds

Ricey to Cavan as part of Graham's management team.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 25, 2021, 12:15:17 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2021, 11:12:08 PM

In all fairness, Mayo never turned up in 2004, they beat themselves.

As I said he knows how to beat Mayo and Cork in AI Finals.