Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

That channel 5 set up last night was the worst I've seen in a long time. Amateur hour.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 04, 2021, 09:48:24 AM
That channel 5 set up last night was the worst I've seen in a long time. Amateur hour.

It was embarrassing, he was reading shit off the clipboard like he was back in primary school
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the goal was on

He definitely didn't improve under Jaime Moore, Jamie Moore. Good fighter but always felt frustrated watching him thinking he had more in tank but in reality he didn't.

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2021, 12:06:55 AM
Not enough spark or combinations, couldn't get close enough and when Carl tried, was caught, I said before the fight this was his biggest test, he never was able to get into a pattern that would allow him to take control.

Moving up weights will only bring you up against taller opponents, the he gangly tall ones he faced growing up we're not as strong, Herring had the strength to back up the reach difference.

Felt sorry for him and family down but not surprised but glad he's fit and well to start his new career

It's been a difficult few years for Frampton. There's so many variables in professional boxing , it's not just about fighting ability . So much politics about getting right fights at right time, and in Frampton's case having to endure a court battle in the midst of it, it's hard to remain focussed. Almost Uniquely amongst Irish sportsmen , he was successful in crossing  the divide here, and earned  respect from all sides . Two fight world champion and uniting communities , some achievements, delighted he's retired with his health intact.

JimStynes

It's a pity things went south with the McGuigans because he maybe had another few good fights under with Shame McGuigan as his coach. He definitely fought his best with that team. Although nowhere near as good for his wallet.

nrico2006

Not a lot of Irish fighters out there to get you excited at the minute.  Frampton is gone, Quigley's career seems to have disappeared and Conlan has not really excelled to the levels first thought.  The McKenna brothers, Paddy Donovan and Kurt Walker seem to be the next prospects in line.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 07, 2021, 05:14:33 PM
Not a lot of Irish fighters out there to get you excited at the minute.  Frampton is gone, Quigley's career seems to have disappeared and Conlan has not really excelled to the levels first thought.  The McKenna brothers, Paddy Donovan and Kurt Walker seem to be the next prospects in line.

Joe Ward was a good amateur but his career has been stop start. Irish amateur boxing seems to be in a good place though and no doubt someone will come through in the next few years but I haven't a clue who that is going to be. Disappointed with Sean McComb so far.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on April 07, 2021, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 07, 2021, 05:14:33 PM

Joe Ward was a good amateur but his career has been stop start. Irish amateur boxing seems to be in a good place though and no doubt someone will come through in the next few years but I haven't a clue who that is going to be. Disappointed with Sean McComb so far.

Forgot about Ward, he probably is the best of the lot.  Watched his fight there a few weeks ago, hopefully he kicks on now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Jake Paul pound for pound best boxer ever

imtommygunn

I see a boy from Jordan died at the youth world championships. Very sad :(

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2021, 05:48:00 PM
I see a boy from Jordan died at the youth world championships. Very sad :(

You'd have to also feel for his opponent.

imtommygunn

Yeah I was thinking that too. Chances of that happening are so slim and so unintentional too but he is bound to feel guilty. Very sad.

nrico2006

Parker and Chisora this weekend, should be nowhere near a PPV.  Probably go the distance and Parker should edge it.  Taylor should beat Jonas, would like to see her try and replicate what Shields has done next though as all 4 of the WW titles are still sitting with an opponent she has previously beaten (McCaskill), has to be the fight to go for.

Canelo and BJS the week after, looking forward to that one.

Taylor

Edwards & Conlan fighting tomorrow night as well.

Conlan is 1/5 but I feel that is too short.
Baluta looked decent v Joyce - you have to feel its time Conlan stepped up to the mark or this talk or a World Title is pie in the sky stuff.

Edwards v Mthalane should be a great scrap - could go either way

nrico2006

Quote from: Taylor on April 29, 2021, 10:05:14 AM
Edwards & Conlan fighting tomorrow night as well.

Conlan is 1/5 but I feel that is too short.
Baluta looked decent v Joyce - you have to feel its time Conlan stepped up to the mark or this talk or a World Title is pie in the sky stuff.

Edwards v Mthalane should be a great scrap - could go either way

I actually forgot about Conlan, his career so far has been based on fighting average at best fighters, hard to get excited about his fights until, as you say, he fights someone decent.  He is nearly 30 and hasn't fought a decent opponent yet.