Peoples Accents

Started by Tankie, January 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 13, 2009, 01:52:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 01:48:31 PM
Right, it now appears that I don't know what a mucker is as I wouldn't have classed Pete Snodden as a mucker.

What is a mucker?

Alrightly mucker what about ye matey!!!  Brutal accent.  In my views, any Belfast resident with a deep Belfast accent is a mucker  :D  The way city folk call country folk culchies we call Belfast city folk muckers!

What is your understanding of a 'mucker' HS?

Not my understanding - Muckers are from Derry city, If you're from Belfast you are a shafty, McCooey, Frankie, steek, spide etc
Will we ever see another one?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Canalman on January 13, 2009, 01:16:25 PM
Accent dropping is also a bugbear of mine. Have met loads of people here in Dublin with what you would I suppose call a "plum accent" /what I think is called a "Dublin 4 accent" outside of Dublin and am amazed to find out they came from the country. Imo there is no way they could have picked it up naturally so I have to presume they deliberately dropped their own accent.......only  for it hilariously to resurface when they are drunk. Women are by far the worst offenders.
Was gobsmacked for example to hear last week that Claire Byrne from Newstalk was from Laois, Mountrath I think.

The country posters here must have noticed this phenomenon.

Would also agree to an extent that the Dublin accent would seem to be far and away the most disliked accent in Ireland.

This is true. I went to Trinity back in the day for my engineering degree. There was this lassie in the class that had the most snobby D4 accent you could think of. I was sure Daddy must have been some big knob from the D4 region. I was shocked one night out when the beer was in that out came a Cork accent and Daddy was a fairly normal sort. I think it often comes down to  the group a young lassie falls in with when they head to Dublin. Women, I think, more than men seem to need to "fit in" rather than be themselves. It was  the same when I was in secondary school. 1st day back all the 1st years would be up the front of the bus all quiet and afraid. Following week all the girl 1st years would be smoking and holding the fag up over their heads like a badge of identity, while that was much less obvious in the lads.

I must finish by adding  the Cavan accent is truly a beautiful accent and all those that disagree are jealous as hell of it.

nrico2006

That old North Antrim accent is brutal - you ever hear Ally Elliot or the late Joey Dunlop on TV/radio being interviewed and you will get it.  The spidey Belfast accent is without doubt the worst.  That Bangor accent is annoying as hell, listening to Snodden and his woman every morning and you'll get the drift.  Was the Strabane accent not voted the Sexiest In Ireland before in some National poll?

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

billy the kid

Accent dropping is also a bugbear of mine. Have met loads of people here in Dublin with what you would I suppose call a "plum accent" /what I think is called a "Dublin 4 accent" outside of Dublin and am amazed to find out they came from the country. Imo there is no way they could have picked it up naturally so I have to presume they deliberately dropped their own accent.......only  for it hilariously to resurface when they are drunk. Women are by far the worst offenders.
Was gobsmacked for example to hear last week that Claire Byrne from Newstalk was from Laois, Mountrath I think.

Would also agree to an extent that the Dublin accent would seem to be far and away the most disliked accent in Ireland.

Well the Monaghan (Monakon) accent is pretty horrible and can be very hard to understand and the Armagh accent (South Armagh) in particular can be brutal to listen to, with every sentence finished with the word 'boy' but pronunced 'Boi'. But have to say the Belfast spides high pitched shriek is the winner in the most hated and horrible accent.  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

The Real Laoislad

What are you saying  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gold

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 13, 2009, 01:58:52 PM
That old North Antrim accent is brutal - you ever hear Ally Elliot or the late Joey Dunlop on TV/radio being interviewed and you will get it.  The spidey Belfast accent is without doubt the worst.  That Bangor accent is annoying as hell, listening to Snodden and his woman every morning and you'll get the drift.  Was the Strabane accent not voted the Sexiest In Ireland before in some National poll?

you couldnt listen to her, thats a snobby accent
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 13, 2009, 01:58:52 PM

Ah but Ballymoney and Dunloy are not representative of that entire area N Rico..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 01:48:31 PM
Right, it now appears that I don't know what a mucker is as I wouldn't have classed Pete Snodden as a mucker.

What is a mucker?

no, hes not a spide, he plays hockey.

there are harder accents to listen to.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Tankie

We are getting slightly off point, what i was asking was do people feel the issue is with the accent of with the pronouciation, from a Dublin point of view I would look at Cork and Kerry and I could spot who the so called 'sc**bag' may be and who would be considered 'well spoken'. Its like in Dublin you can spot it a mile off but these people were saying it was because of their accent where I believe it is due to the lack of basic understanding of the English language.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

My mates like to torment me by saying I'm developing a Dublin accent...
God of all the things that could happen to me in life that would be worst  :-[
Some Dublin accents aren't too bad,the Clondalkin/Ballyfermot/Neilstown is the worst,though the D4 is just as bad in other ways

I think its hilarious when someone goes away to somewhere like America for the week and come back with a American accent...so fake!

The winner is Steve Mclaren though..Five weeks in Holland and he was talking like this.. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 13, 2009, 01:56:06 PM

This is true. I went to Trinity back in the day for my engineering degree. There was this lassie in the class that had the most snobby D4 accent you could think of. I was sure Daddy must have been some big knob from the D4 region. I was shocked one night out when the beer was in that out came a Cork accent and Daddy was a fairly normal sort. I think it often comes down to  the group a young lassie falls in with when they head to Dublin. Women, I think, more than men seem to need to "fit in" rather than be themselves. It was  the same when I was in secondary school. 1st day back all the 1st years would be up the front of the bus all quiet and afraid. Following week all the girl 1st years would be smoking and holding the fag up over their heads like a badge of identity, while that was much less obvious in the lads.

I must finish by adding  the Cavan accent is truly a beautiful accent and all those that disagree are jealous as hell of it.
That's  was a C4 accent which is  Cork persons attempt at  to be like all things D4
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 01:58:30 PM
But there is a difference, it appears.

Is the Belfast Cowboy is a mucker HS?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

theskull1

The belfast bin hoker then?

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on January 13, 2009, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 13, 2009, 01:56:06 PM

That's  was a C4 accent which is  Cork persons attempt at  to be like all things D4

I met a girl like that in Dublin last year, she was from Limerick but styled herself on the D4 look and style, i didnt know that there was a look and style and just though it was fashion but the D4 girls would love to think that they were setting the style for girls around the country. I think she is the most pathetic person I have met in a few years as she tried to have the attitude too..... a total clown
Grand Slam Saturday!