Third round of Connolly Cup:

Group 1:

Clonguish 0-13 Mullinalaghta 0-7
Ardagh 0-7 Killoe 2-18

Killoe 4 pts (+13)
Clonguish 4pts (+6)
Mullinalaghta 4pts (+6)
Ardagh 0pts (-25)

Killoe win group. Clonguish and Mullinalaghta even on both score difference and points scored so playoff for a quarter-final place next weekend.

Group 2:

Seán Connollys 1-7 Abbeylara 2-10
Cashel 2-11 Colmcille 0-9

Abbeylara 6pts (+11)
Cashel 2pts (+4)
Colmcille 2pts (-4)
Seán Connollys 2pts (-11)

Abbeylara win and Cashel come second on score difference.

Group 3:

Mostrim 2-15 Granard 0-7
Longford Slashers 2-12 Ballymahon 0-6

Longford Slashers 6pts (+29)
Mostrim 4pts (+18)
Ballymahon 2pts (+2)
Granard 0pts (-49)

Longford Slashers win, Mostrim second.

Group 4:

Dromard 0-14 Fr Manning Gaels 1-5

Dromard 4pts (+13)
Rathcline 2pts (-4)
Fr Manning Gaels 0pts (-9)

Dromard win, Rathcline second.

Quarter-finals:

1. Abbeylara v Rathcline (next Sat)
2. Dromard v Cashel (next Sun)
3. Longford Slashers v Clonguish/Mullinalaghta (Sat wk)
4. Killoe v Mostrim (Sun wk)

Semi-finals: 1 v 2, 3 v 4.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Longfordian

Laurel ...
Ye had a great chance to knock out them out , points system doesn't seem fair when Cashel go through in their group with 2pts and you have to play off with 4pts , they really played well in the 2nd half ...Dowd going to full forward made a huge difference ...silence after the final whistle was deafening !! ...nobody had a clue around me what the situation was ....
We put away Granard without too much problems ...out of the relegation teams , Id expect them to go down ..
It was a happy little group of Edgerstown players when the draw was made ...avoided Dromard and Abbey ...Killoe are beatable , but must have improved since they played St Columba's ...

Billys Boots

Jaysus, the world must have turned on its fulcrum when Mostrim are looking forward to playing Killoe.  :o  :o
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

North Longford

At least they are looking forward to playing someone!! :(

Billys Boots

Sure you can go on holidays now NL - bring the kids to Dernaferst in the evenings etc.  :P

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on August 09, 2010, 09:12:38 AM
Laurel ...
Ye had a great chance to knock out them out , points system doesn't seem fair when Cashel go through in their group with 2pts and you have to play off with 4pts , they really played well in the 2nd half ...Dowd going to full forward made a huge difference ...silence after the final whistle was deafening !! ...nobody had a clue around me what the situation was ....

To be honest, we spent the last ten minutes holding onto a 6-point margin for dear life and were lucky not to be demolished. Losing a midfielder after 3 minutes and having no-one to replace him with killed us stone dead. It didn't look likely last night that he'll be able to play for next weekend and I expect Clonguish to finish the job pretty comfortably.

QuoteWe put away Granard without too much problems ...out of the relegation teams , Id expect them to go down ..
It was a happy little group of Edgerstown players when the draw was made ...avoided Dromard and Abbey ...Killoe are beatable , but must have improved since they played St Columba's ...

I did say that yis were safe for the quarter-finals :). The two semi-finals the weekend after next (Mostrim v Killoe and Slashers v The Reich) should be the closest affairs, though I was quite impressed by Cashel (sorry, Billy and NL) yesterday evening.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Longfordian

Just judging Killoe on their performance v Columba's Billy , they looked pretty ordinary , it was the most favourable draw out of the 3 options of Dromard, Abbey and Killoe! ...will be a tough game , not doubts about that !
Only got in for the last game , very surprised at result , was umpire at Cashels first game and they were very poor , I heard Colmcille had a few of their leading lights injured and in fairness to Cashel , they pushed Abbey very close .

No doubt Laurel , losing your midfielder had a huge bearing on game ...as P Barden dominated in the 2nd half... they had two of three around K Mulligan everytime he had the ball ...hopefully ye can pick it up again next weekend

North Longford

QuoteI heard Colmcille had a few of their leading lights injured and in fairness to Cashel
Declans Reilly and Farrell plus JP Reilly and Anthony Gormley all not starting yesterday with injury on top of Paul McKeon gone to America for the summer meant Colmcille were seriously restricted up front. All 5 of them played in the forwards together in the league. Hence despite winning probably more than 50% of possession in the middle of the field they were beaten by 8 points. I wouldn't expect Dromard to have much difficulty with Cashel although in fairness in the last 15 minutes when Colmcille were putting on serious pressure they were very clinical at punishing almost every mistake Colmcille made.
I also wouldn't expect Dromard to give them a 2-03 to no score lead either. ::)

LaurelEye

I believe the Reich are demanding to be spared the tedious formality of a play-off.

Billys Boots

Sure it must be worth a punt. Newtownuberalles!  ::)

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 11, 2010, 09:11:58 AM
Sure it must be worth a punt. Newtownuberalles!  ::)

If they take it to the High Court as is being threatened, it will be worth loads of punts.

Billys Boots

Shamrock Shore

They ended level on points with the bauld Mullinyarta lads and both had similar points and scoring averages. Reich's argument, as in UEFA or FIFA, was that as they had actually beaten Mullinyachta then they should go through.

Those feckers would start an argument in an empty room

LaurelEye

The rules, as outlined by our County Chairman on Sunday night in Crippen Park, are:

a) if two teams finish on equal points in the group, the tie is broken by considering in order:

i) score difference,
ii) scores for,
iii) the result of the match between the two teams

b) if more than two teams finish on equal points in the group, the tie is broken by considering in order:

i) score difference,
ii) scores for,
iii) a playoff between teams who cannot be separated otherwise.

The Reich's argument is that the set of rules a) should be used instead of b).

Of course, last week, when the Reich feared losing out on score difference, the power-hungry serial litigant who pulls the Reich's strings was allegedly threatening to sue on the grounds that score difference should only be used in league and not championship situations, and that a playoff should be used instead. You really couldn't make it up.

It might be easier all round to present the Reich with the Connolly Cup now and have done with it, in order to save on the petrol for the weekly visits to Leinster Council and/or the Four Courts between now and September 26th that would result if they're not indulged at every turn.

The Forfeit Point

and to be fair any clonguisher i know would be against this type of shite.

its amazing the influence one particular individual can have....