Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

I think we are taking the Dromard poor mouth (why are they bothering?) with a bagful of salt.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

QuoteSenior Football Championship Round 2 Previews

Padraic O'Brien of the Longford Leader previews the weekend action    

The Longford Senior Football Championship resumes this weekend with second round games down for decision in the four sections and the crucial top spot in Group 1 will be at stake when Ballymahon and Longford Slashers battle it out at McGann Park, Kenagh on Sunday evening.

After scoring a comprehensive 3-16 to 2-5 win over Fr. Manning Gaels in the opening round, Slashers should be in a confident frame of mind but will be minus the services of the unavailable Paul Kelly.

However, manager Jimmy Gacquin has a strong squad at his disposal and providing Michael Brady and David Sheridan gain the upper hand at centrefield the indications are that the sky-blues will come out on top.

While Ballymahon will need to improve on their struggle to beat Rathcline 0-11 to 0-8 in the first round with chief marksman Mark Connor clocking up eight points, inspirational player-manager Trevor Smullen will have his team fired up in the bid to achieve the win required to avoid a probable clash against Abbeylara in the quarter-final.

In the other Group 1 fixture at the Kenagh grounds, Rathcline have only a remote chance of reaching the knock-out-stages despite running Ballymahon close and are expected to keep their slim hopes alive by getting the better of Fr. Manning Gaels. The losers here will be facing a relegation play-off and it does appear as if the men from Drumlish and Ballinamuck are the team in trouble.

It took Abbeylara quite some time to assert their superiority over a spirited Sean Connolly's side in the opening round but they eventually won with considerable ease, 1-16 to 0-7, to confirm their status as the firm favourites to finish top of Group 2.

Title contenders Abbey are in action against Mostrim at the Slashers grounds on Saturday evening and will clinch a quarter-final spot by getting the better of the understrength Edgeworthstown outfit who are short so many regulars in the current championship campaign for different reasons.

It looks like another comfortable win for Abbeylara while on the same programme at Michael Fay Park is the meeting of Ardagh and Sean Connolly's with St. Patrick's manager Gerry Fox facing his native club.

Former Longford footballer Gerry guided Ardagh to a crucial 1-10 to 0-6 win over Mostrim in taking a big step towards a quarter-final spot and the Ballinalee man is now plotting the downfall of depleted Connolly's who have been so badly hit by emigration. St. Patrick's are expected to emerge victorious with a few points to spare.

Always regarded as Connolly Cup contenders, the Clonguish team make their first appearance in the 2009 Senior Championship against Granard at Emmet Park, Killoe on Friday evening and many years ago this would have been a game to savour.

However, the once mighty St. Mary's have fallen on lean times and after losing 1-12 to 0-8 against Killoe in the opening round the pressure is now really on in the uphill battle to avoid an early exit and into a relegation play-off.

Clonguish should prove too strong for Granard in achieving the victory that will put themselves and Killoe through to the quarter-finals and they will then meet in the remaining round-robin fixture to determine who will finish top of Group 3.

A very interesting situation is developing in Group 4 in the aftermath of Dromard's most emphatic 0-19 to 1-5 win over the reigning county champions Colmcille in the opening round and Mullinalaghta enter the senior championship arena with hopes of springing a surprise.

Under the driving force of new manager Joe Mulvihill, St. Columba's have registered some notable wins in Division 1 of the All County League this season and their emerging team are backboned by the Mulligan brothers Kevin, Shane and Francis and the McElligott brothers Ruairi, Conor and Donal.

Mullinalaghta take on Dromard at Fr. McGee Park, Aughnacliffe on Sunday next and while the 2007 Intermediate champions will be hard pressed to upset the odds on this occasion, they will be targeting their remaining group fixture against Colmcille as a more realistic chance of further progress at the expense of the title holders.

That remains to be seen . . . .

http://longfordgaa.ie/local/09-c%27ship-w-end-2-09.html
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Remarkable degree of radio silence here (not least from our neighbours across the lough ;D) .

Dromard looked very solid - both last Sunday and on Wednesday night without the county players. My guess is that anyone who can beat them will win the Championship.

Rather disappointed with our performance in the second half on Sunday and we'd need to up things for this day week. Especially with buses bringing people back from training weekends and rumours of airlifts from Amsterdam :).

Not very impressed with Clonguish against Granard or with Slashers against Ballymahon. Ballymahon are dogged and will be hard-beat.

Niall Sheridan getting his first ever red card in a meaningless League match on Wednesday night will be a big blow for Abbey seeing as he'll miss the quarter-final.

North Longford

QuoteEspecially with buses bringing people back from training weekends and rumours of airlifts from Amsterdam Smiley.
We were actually away for the whole week. ::)

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on July 26, 2009, 04:58:43 PM
QuoteEspecially with buses bringing people back from training weekends and rumours of airlifts from Amsterdam Smiley.
We were actually away for the whole week. ::)

What was the weather like? :)

LaurelEye

QuoteLongford manager Glenn Ryan is on the lookout for a new selection team following the resignations of Mickey Harkin and Ambrose McGowan.

County Board Chairman Pat Cahill confirmed the news when contacted by the Leader on Wednesday afternoon.

"They just decided to do different things. I can't speak for either of them but I know one of them is doing something completely different away from football," he said.

Pressed about whether there had been signs of a growing rift between the manager and his two main confidants, Cahill instead chose to heap praise on both men's contribution to the county senior side's cause over the past season.

"All I know is they did a great job and deserve great credit," the county chairman continued.

He also confessed plans to replace Harkin and McGowan had already commenced.

For his part, former Abbeylara manager Mickey Harkin offered little by way of an explanation for his decision but did reveal senior members of the county board "were surprised alright" by the move.

"I'll just take a break for a while. There was no reason (for resignation) in particular," he stated.

Longford manager Glenn Ryan was unavailable for commment on Wednesday.

http://www.longfordleader.ie/sport/Longford-selectors-Harkin-and-McGowan.5506150.jp

No point in letting those mean Kyavan b's hog the limelight...

LaurelEye

QuoteColmcille face a must win game against neighbouring rivals Mullinalaghta in Round 3 of the Senior Football Championship at Lynch Park, Abbeylara on Sunday next and the pressure is really on the reigning county champions after crashing to a very disappointing 11-point defeat against Dromard in their previous game in Group 4.
St. Columba's, on the other hand, ran Dromard close in losing out by 1-10 to 0-9 and because of their superior scores difference a draw will be enough to a clinch a quarter-final spot.

Influential team manager Joe Mulvihill has made considerable progress in his first season with Mullinalaghta and the 2007 Intermediate champions will be quietly confident of springing a surprise.

The absence of Donie McKeon, the top scorer in last year's county title triumph, is certainly a big blow for Colmcille and it will be remarkable if they end up in a relegation play-off after capturing the coveted Connolly Cup in 2008.

However, if Declan C Reilly can make a big impact at midfield the indications are that his club will be good enough to achieve the victory required to avoid an early exit from the championship but a tense and closely fought local derby is in prospect.

With Ballymahon, Abbeylara, Ardagh, Clonguish, Killoe and Dromard already qualified for the quarter-finals, the only other fixture of any appeal in Round 3 is the Group 1 clash between Longford Slashers and Rathcline at McGann Park, Kenagh on Sunday evening and the winners here will complete the last eight line-up.

Slashers were impressive in their most emphatic 14-point win over Fr. Manning Gaels in the opening round but they found the going a lot tougher against Ballymahon in their next game and ended up losing by the minimum of margins, 0-10 to 1-6, in the battle for top spot.

The driving force of Paul Kelly (currently out of the country) was sorely missed in that significant setback as the sky-blues are now looking at a probable quarter-final confrontation against Abbeylara should they succeed in overcoming Rathcline.

After losing by three points against Ballymahon, the Lanesboro side kept their championship hopes alive with a hard earned 2-11 to 2-9 win over Fr. Manning Gaels.

A hamstring injury ruled out county panellist Padraig Shanley on that occasion and he is rated extremely doubtful for the showdown against Slashers.

Without the scoring threat of Shanley, it will be a difficult task for Rathcline to reach the quarter-finals and while a draw will be enough for Slashers because of their superior scores difference it looks like a win for last year's beaten finalists who are the favourites to advance a stage further in the senior championship.

In the other Group 1 fixture at the Kenagh grounds, Ballymahon will finish top providing they score their expected victory over relegation threatened Fr. Manning Gaels while Abbeylara will win Group 2 by overcoming the challenge of Ardagh and Sean Hagan's side are strongly fancied to get the better of St. Patrick's at Leo Casey Park on Saturday evening.

On the same programme at the Ballymahon grounds is the meeting of Clonguish and Killoe Young Emmets to determine who wins Group 3.

The Group 2 relegation battle between Mostrim and Sean Connolly's will be played at Michael Fay Park on Sunday week, August 9th with the Edgeworthstown outfit given the vote to come out on top in the survival stakes.

http://www.longfordleader.ie/sport/A-must-win-game-for.5505713.jp

LaurelEye

Congrats to Colmcille on a well-deserved win and best of luck against Clonguish in the quarter-final. I was expecting a Colmcille victory but not on that scale.

We wasted far too many chances in the first half and were frankly a disgrace in the second half. Certain "big names" need to take a long, hard look at themselves - but the likelihood is that they won't and we'll carry on all the way back to Intermediate football. On today's performance it would be hard to argue that we don't belong there.  >:(

Billys Boots

So how do we see the QFs going? - have seen nothing so far this season myself, for various reasons, so am clueless on form.

Clonguish v Colmcille: Are Colmcille improving, or did the half parish have a very bad day.  Is there a last kick in the Reich?  Clonguish
Abbeylara v Longford Slashers: Are the townies going to realise their potential,; are Abbey going to keep surpassing theirs?  Slashers
Dromard v Emmet Óg: Is it another good year for the Swampies?  Can Killoe swamp the critters?  Dromard
Ballymahon v St. Patrick's: Battle of the grinders - can Ardagh survive without Keenan and Kavanagh?  Ballymahon
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 11, 2009, 09:31:20 AM
So how do we see the QFs going? - have seen nothing so far this season myself, for various reasons, so am clueless on form.

Clonguish v Colmcille: Are Colmcille improving,

Yes.

Quoteor did the half parish have a very bad day.

Again, yes, and the half-parish need to get their act together in the relegation match against the not-useless Granard.

QuoteIs there a last kick in the Reich?  Clonguish

Clonguish were only middling against Granard and only woke up in the last 20 minutes or so against Killoe, but looked lively doing so.

Clonguish marginal favourites.

QuoteAbbeylara v Longford Slashers: Are the townies going to realise their potential,; are Abbey going to keep surpassing theirs?  Slashers

Abbey are missing Sheridan (suspension) and Páidie Berry (cartilage operation) and without them were poor against Ardagh. If the Townies can't edge it they may as well go home and hide.

QuoteDromard v Emmet Óg: Is it another good year for the Swampies?

Looks to be.

QuoteCan Killoe swamp the critters?  Dromard

Killoe looked very good for the first 45 minutes against Clonguish after having been OK against Granard. Any other quarter-final opponent and I'd make them marginal favourites. But not against Dromard.

QuoteBallymahon v St. Patrick's: Battle of the grinders - can Ardagh survive without Keenan and Kavanagh?  Ballymahon

It will be dour. Ballymahon can score which will make the difference.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteIf the Townies can't edge it they may as well go home and hide

They could have trouble finding a sufficient number of safe houses  :P

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 11, 2009, 09:57:06 PM
QuoteIf the Townies can't edge it they may as well go home and hide

They could have trouble finding a sufficient number of safe houses  :P

No predictions SS?  Does nobody disagree with Laureleye or Boots?

Shamrock Shore

Jazes Billy - I havent been near a championship match in years so I am no expert.

I have no reason to contradict you in the predictions.

Billys Boots

Championship Semi Finals:

Abbeylara -v- Dromard: Has to be the Swampies, doesn't it.  Didn't see the semifinal - did Abbey win or did the Townies bottle it again?  Too many injuries/absentees for Abbey.  Critters to win handily.

Ballymahon -v- Clonguish:  Hard call, Ballymahon are hard to beat this year, while Clonguish are racking up the scores.  I'll go for Clonguish, but with no conviction.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 28, 2009, 09:35:53 AM
Championship Semi Finals:

Abbeylara -v- Dromard: Has to be the Swampies, doesn't it.  Didn't see the semifinal - did Abbey win or did the Townies bottle it again?  Too many injuries/absentees for Abbey.  Critters to win handily.

Berry was back for the Slashers match and Sheridan will be back for this one. Abbey were woeful in the first half against Slashers but Berry made the difference in the second half (but, yes, Slashers collapsed as per usual). Abbey will pack defence and midfield and rely on Berry and Sheridan to do the damage. Dromard vs Killoe was the best match of the quarter-finals and they should have the quality to beat Abbeylara, but I don't know... might just plump for Abbey (even if the Swampies are more of a football team).

QuoteBallymahon -v- Clonguish:  Hard call, Ballymahon are hard to beat this year, while Clonguish are racking up the scores.  I'll go for Clonguish, but with no conviction.

I'd say that Clonguish have had the tougher opposition. Ardagh were atrocious against Ballymahon but Ballymahon still weren't able to be impressive. They're well organised in defence but that's the height of it. Clonguish.

As for the match at the other end... well, let's say I'm resigned to watching promise turn into humiliation.