Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfordian

Billy and Northlongford ....
Delighted for ye both ...Billy pass on my congrats to the brother .... great reward for him after all these years !

great to see someone in green and red lift a bit of silverware !!!! .......  ;)

Billys Boots

Indo Report

Famine over for slick Colmcille
Colmcille 0-13 Longford Slashers 0-7

Colmcille won the title for the first time in 50 years as they stormed to a comfortable win over Longford Slashers in the county final at Pearse Park.

After losing to Dromard in last year's decider, Colmcille were really fired up to make amends and they were well on the road to victory at half-time when leading by 0-7 to 0-2.

Watched by a crowd of 5,000, the north Longford club raced into a 0-4 to 0-0 lead, with the opening point coming from captain Francis Kavanagh.

Donie McKeon (free) and Tommy Doyle (two frees) were also on target before Slashers got a point from Adrian Murphy in the 12th minute.

However, the town side only managed one more score in the first half, from Colin Smith, while Colmcille added three through McKeon (free), Doyle and John Paul Reilly.

Slashers fell further behind in the opening minute of the second half when McKeon hit another free but almost got a badly needed goal when the ball was cleared off the line after keeper Gavin Tonra fumbled a shot from Trevor Clendenning.

Colmcille quickly hit points from McKeon (free and play) before Reilly got his second to make it 0-11 to 0-3.

Slashers managed to outscore Colmcille 0-4 to 0-2 in the remainder of the game but David Sheridan was sent off in the closing minutes.

Scorers -- Colmcille: D McKeon 0-7 (6f), T Doyle 0-3 (2f), JP Reilly 0-2, F Kavanagh 0-1. Longford Slashers: A Murphy (1 '45'), M Smith (2f) 0-2 each, C Smith, P Kelly, N Mulligan 0-1 each.

COLMCILLE -- G Tonra; Padraig Murtagh, N Farrell, O McGivney; B Brady, G Murtagh, F Kavanagh; E Farrell, DC Reilly; JP Reilly, DS Reilly, Paul Murtagh; T Doyle, D Farrell, D McKeon. Subs: A Gormley for Paul Murtagh (ht), P McKeon for Doyle (55).

LONGFORD SLASHERS -- G Hourican; D Mannion, D Glennon, G Ghee; P Brady, M Brady, D Brady; D Sheridan,I Shannon M Smith, B Gilleran, A Murphy; T Clendenning, S Phillips, C Smith. Subs: P Kelly for Sheridan (11, blood), Sheridan for M Brady (37), N Mulligan for Clendenning (41), C Barrins for Mannion (43), P Dobson for Gilleran (51), B Farrell for Shannon (59).

REF -- M Doherty (Legan Sarsfields).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Shamrock Shore's favourite journalist's take ...

Small parish savours thrilling day in the sun

The great thing about the GAA is that, now and again, you don't have to be from Tyrone or Kerry to achieve greatness.

Yesterday in one of the many county finals on offer at this time of year, my native club Colmcille from north Longford -- next door to Co Cavan -- won the Longford senior championship for the first time in 50 years.

For the people of Colmcille this was far more important than winning the Sam Maguire Cup was for the people of Tyrone.

That is where the GAA excels -- at restoring local pride, developing the youngsters for the honour and glory of the parish and watching them burst forth in their early twenties to capture the county final.

County board delegate Pearse Daly, now in his mid-eighties, will take particular pleasure in this 0-13 to 0-7 victory in Pearse Park but every man, woman and child from Colmcille will walk taller for months to come because of this great day.

The GAA has its faults at times but it has no equal when it comes to promoting the positive effects of local pride in the parish.

- Eugene McGee

Billys Boots

QuoteRemember the Leinster club is up next though

Screw that - that's for next year!   :P

LaurelEye

And in other news:

QuoteNorthern Gaels finally capture Minor Crown
BY CATHAL CREMER    
Sunday, 28th September 2008    
Northern Gaels 0-14 Killoe 1-6    

Northern Gaels won the minor football championship for the first time in their short history when they had five points to spare over Killoe in Pearse Park on county final Sunday. It was a well deserved victory and the Abbeylara and Mullinalaghta men certainly were the better team throughout and it will make amends for last years bitterly disappointing defeat to St. Vincent's at the same stage of the competition.

Northern Gaels entered the fray as favourites and seemed to struggle with the favourites tag as they were very nervous in the opening periods. Simple balls were being fumbled and while they gradually got to grips with the game they did not deliver a vintage performance that these extremly talented players are capable of. Although this will not bother the north Longford side. Credit must go to a Killoe side who many had written off prior to the throw-in and if Killoe had taken some scores in the opening ten minutes, the winning margin could have been reduced.

Killoe started the better with Michael Quinn operating at midfield instead of his usual centre forward role. Quinn was ruling the middle third of the field and the Killoe gameplan was to hit full-forward Ronan McGoldrick with direct early ball. Fergal Battrim, the county minor full back was up to the task and an interseting dual was emerging.

Killoe ended a barren opening ten minutes with Mark Quinn reacting quickest to a loose ball around the Northern Gaels goalmouth. Michael Quinn sent in a long sideline ball and big Simon Kiernan fisted it down to the awaiting Quinn. Killoe doubled their advantage less than a minute later when McGoldrick fired over the bar with Michael Quinn orchestrating affairs further out the field.

Northern Gaels opened their account when centre back Colm P Smyth raced forward to convert a well worked score. Sean Berry, James McGivney (who was a late replacement for the injured JJ Matthews) and Smyth were all involved for a hard earned score in the twelfth minute. John Keegan brought the sides level at 0-2 apiece when he converted a great point on the run just after the thirteenth minute mark.

Midfielder David Donohoe then landed a tremendous long range point from thirty five metres despite the fact he was off balance but their lead was short lived as Michael Quinn responded at the opposite end with another wonderfully struck long range effort. Quinn's point came as a result of a poor free from the talented senior player but Northern Gaels' attepmted claerance only reached Quinn again and he took his second chance with open arms.

A trademark run from wing back Conan Brady resulted in the joint team captain being fouled and Bernard Crawford made no mistake with the resulting free, Northern Gaels 0-4 to 0-3 ahead, a lead they would never relinquish. JJ Matthews was then introduced to the fore at the expense of corner back Ruaidhri Mulligan, with James McGivney moving back to the corner back position. The move made an immediate impact with Matthews racing in along the touchline to fist over.

With little over three minutes remaining in the first half wing back Colm Dalton sweetly struck over a forty-five to stretch the lead out to three points, 0-6 to 0-3. Ronan McGoldrick was rewarded for his persistance two minutes prior to the interval when he was fouled and Michael Quinn made no mistake with the close range free. Northern Gaels leading 0-6 to 0-4 at the break but with things still certainly all to play for.

Dalton fired over his second of the afternoon with a point on the run from just under the stand on the resumption but the game turned into a scrappy affair with both sides failing to take the initiative at the start of the second half. Crawford added another free on eight minutes with Michael Quinn pulling down Gary Rogers. Northern Gaels looked well on course when Sean Berry added another point to put his side 0-9 to 0-4 ahead but just when it seemed the north Longford men were going to pull away Killoe struck for the games only goal.

Michael Quinn supplied the delivery into Ronan McGoldrick and the full forward turned and dispatched home with a low drive with his left. Game on at 0-9 to 1-4, with just over a quarter of an hour remaining. Man of the Match Colm P Smyth got just the reply Northern Gaels needed when he slotted over a point from thirty metres. Berry added his second point of the half with another terrific score and Donohoe opened the gap out to five after he linked up well with Keegan and Rogers.

Mark Quinn scored a great point under severe pressure for the Killoe men to give the men in green and white a fighting chance with ten minutes to go, 0-12 to 1-5. The direct route paved the way for a further Northern Gaels point when Sean Berry gained possession and turned quickly to fire over.

Paddy Hughes added respectability to the scoreline in the final minute of normal time with another great longe range point. Perhaps it was fitting that Northern Gaels had the final say and it was JJ Matthews who put the icing on the cake with a point off his left to leave his side 0-14 to 1-6 winners.

Killoe certainly made Northern Gaels work very hard for their victory but in the end Northern Gaels class shone through. An early injury to Simon Kiernan did not help the Killoe cause and the midfielder had to replaced in the second half due to injury. Colm P Smyth and Fergal Battrim led from the back with strong displays while up front John Keegan and Sean Berry were the leading lights.

Michael Quinn led the Killoe charge from start to finish and was ably assissted by Garry Connell at full back and Paddy Thompson who made an impact when operating around the middle of the field. Killoe will be disappointed with their display on the day but it was ultimately to be Northern Gaels day and they will glad to break their duck and capture their first minor title.

NORTHERN GAELS: Darren Rabbitte, Patrick Fox, Fergal Battrim (0-1), Ruaidhri Mulligan, Colm Dalton (0-2, 1 4), Colm P Smyth (0-2), Conan Brady, David Donohoe (0-2), Shane Mahon, John Keegan (0-1), Colm E Smyth, James McGivney, Gary Rogers, Sean Berry (0-3), Bernard Crawford (0-2, 2fs).

SUBS USED:- J.J. Matthews (0-2) for R. Mulligan (21 mins), Robbie Smyth for G. Rogers (49 mins).

KILLOE: Brian Mahon, Darren Nolan, Garry Connell, Darren Bratten, David Kiernan, Daniel Keogh, Terry McCormack, Simon Kiernan, Michael Quinn (0-2, 1f), Paddy Thompson, Paddy Hughes (0-1), John Gilna, Matt Clarke, Ronan McGoldrick (1-1), Mark Quinn (0-2).

SUBS USED:- Padraig O' Reilly for J. Gilna (37 mins), Conor Clarke for S. Kiernan (41 mins), Ciaran Corr & David Mimnagh for T McCormack & M. Clarke (52 mins).

REFEREE: Aidan Dowler (Moydow Harpers).

MAN OF THE MATCH: Colm P Smyth (Northern Gaels)

:)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Sorry Laureleye, in the dazed confusion, I forgot to congratulate your Minor success.  Congrats.

In true Crayonsite fashion, there is no report on the county senior final accessible on www.longfordgaa.ie.  Quelle surprise - I was kinda looking forward to the comedy view.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 29, 2008, 01:44:21 PM
Sorry Laureleye, in the dazed confusion, I forgot to congratulate your Minor success.  Congrats.

Thanks. 7 Mullinalaghta starters so we have many causes to be happy.

QuoteIn true Crayonsite fashion, there is no report on the county senior final accessible on www.longfordgaa.ie.  Quelle surprise - I was kinda looking forward to the comedy view.

It's probably still being translated into English.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

The Forfeit Point

well done colmcille on a fantastic display! im absolutely gutted at the way we folded but colmcille learned from last year in the way we failed to do from '06. your players who some might say were bullied in last years final really stood up to the mark! declan reilly is a good a distributor of the ball as there is anywhere!

guess you were right about the loser tag billy :'( hope all goes well in leinster 8)

North Longford

Still haven't made it back to work but gonna use today to try and reacquaint my body with the real world. Sunday and Monday night (in Dolans no less!!!) will live long in the memory and the reception in the national school yesterday and in Moyne was great too.
Having watched the dvd a couple of times I get more and more impressed with our lads. Every one of them were fantastic and the work rate and discipline was just amazing. Its a lovely feeling when it comes right on the big day.
Like billy I should have congratulated Northern Gaels on their great win and its good to see so many of those players are from the half parish. The future looks bright. We had quite a few of the players and management in the cross on Sunday night. Your manager is some man to talk! There was at least one member of the Mulligan clan there drinking Vodka into the very late hours.........someone should ask him where he was buying the vodka!!!!!!!
Thanks also to Forfeit Point for his magnanimous congrats. Slashers won't be far away over the next couple of years.
Anyway off now to relax for the rest of the day. Its good to be able to.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on October 01, 2008, 11:15:14 AMThere was at least one member of the Mulligan clan there drinking Vodka into the very late hours.........someone should ask him where he was buying the vodka!!!!!!!

I take it this was not the one in Templemore or the one now teaching (quiet at the back there!) in Bray.

In which case, I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you....

Billys Boots

Quotethe reception in the national school yesterday and in Moyne was great too.

Moyne, that was cheeky.   ;D

Quotewell done colmcille on a fantastic display! im absolutely gutted at the way we folded but colmcille learned from last year in the way we failed to do from '06

Fair play Forfeit Point - I was only winding with the name-calling.  There are good players on your side, and ye'll have your day.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 01, 2008, 05:46:15 PM
Quotethe reception in the national school yesterday and in Moyne was great too.

Moyne, that was cheeky.   ;D

Sure haven't yis men from Edenmore, Glenmore and Fostra on that team? ;)

Denn Forever

Takes a Cavan man to help you win, Billy.  Now he joins the Cavan county set up as a selector.  Hope we win Sam before 2059 though ;D :)
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

North Longford

Something even closer to home for Dennforever. Two of Colmcilles top men last sunday Tommy Doyle and Declan Reilly(MoM) are 1st cousins. Their mothers are sisters, married to Colmcille men and they are originally from Denn. So we have more to thank Denn for than you might think!