Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

Thought it was an honest mistake....easy one to make!!!
He also said the Colmcille game was called off due to a death in the Colmcille club. It was actually in the Drumlish club. He was hardly joking there!!!

Billys Boots

Jaysus, the excitement is fierce!  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

All back to normal now lads I suppose?

Lads....hello.........anyone there?

Pesky qualifier to lose heavily in but after that it's Connolly Cup time.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 27, 2010, 12:44:33 AM
All back to normal now lads I suppose?

Lads....hello.........anyone there?

Pesky qualifier to lose heavily in but after that it's Connolly Cup time.

We might always get Westmeath....

League back on on Saturday evening.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Congratulations to Colmcille on emerging from the Swamp with two points  ;D
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

North Longford

Well done to the minors today. Fantastic result

Longfordian

Fantastic win for the minors , wasn't at it myself , but saw highlights on TG4 last night , did very well after being under pressure for most of the 1st half from Offally ! ....

We have Ballymahon in Killoe in the first round of the championship on Saturday evening , important game , as winner of this will fancy themselves to win v Granard and get into knock-out stages .....

LaurelEye

First round of Connolly Cup:

Group 1:

Clonguish 1-13 Ardagh 2-8
Mullinalaghta 1-12 Killoe 0-9

next matches: Clonguish v Killoe, Mullinalaghta v Ardagh

Group 2:

Abbeylara 1-8 Colmcille 0-7
Seán Connollys 2-6 Cashel 1-6

next matches: Cashel v Abbeylara, Colmcille v Seán Connollys

Group 3:

Mostrim 1-17 Ballymahon 2-5
Longford Slashers 3-11 Granard 0-8

next matches: Mostrim v Longford Slashers, Ballymahon v Granard

Group 4:

Dromard 1-17 Rathcline 1-10

next match: Rathcline v Fr Manning Gaels

Slashers, Mostrim, Abbey and Dromard all look pretty certain quarter-finalists after this weekend. Colmcille should almost certainly make it through as well with their two easier games to come. Group 1 is up in the air after Ardagh and Mullinalaghta's performances this weekend - anyone could qualify or alternatively anyone could still end up in the relegation playoffs. Fr Manning Gaels will be hoping to have the county minors available for the do-or-die Rathcline match on the bank holiday weekend.

Shamrock Shore

Wins for some of the lads here, Mostrim win (me and Longfordian), Colmcille defeat (Boots and North Longford), Slashers win (Forfeit Point), St. Columba's win (Laureleye)

Could be an interesting year this year. Ballymahon got their 2 goals at the end to make the score v us respectable. No sign of Brian kavanagh coming back into the Ardagh fold (despite being named as an Ardagh player in the qualifer programs).

We'll see how we get on v The Slashers. I always dreaded meeting Slashers in the Championship. Shur, I havn't recovered from the 1975 county final disappointment. Sean Donnelly killed us that day.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 18, 2010, 11:53:02 PM
Wins for some of the lads here, Mostrim win (me and Longfordian), Colmcille defeat (Boots and North Longford), Slashers win (Forfeit Point), St. Columba's win (Laureleye)

Could be an interesting year this year. Ballymahon got their 2 goals at the end to make the score v us respectable. No sign of Brian kavanagh coming back into the Ardagh fold (despite being named as an Ardagh player in the qualifer programs).

We'll see how we get on v The Slashers. I always dreaded meeting Slashers in the Championship. Shur, I havn't recovered from the 1975 county final disappointment. Sean Donnelly killed us that day.

I think Kavanagh's "return" was in the way of a misprint - I can't see him forsaking the bright lights of Kilmacud for Keenan Park any time soon.

Longfordian can comment on Slashers' performance, seeing as he was spotted in Edgeworthstown this evening ;) I was there for the second half during which Granard didn't put up much effective resistance but there were only 4 points in it at half time. Best match I saw this weekend was Clonguish-Ardagh (missed Mostrim's). Worst was Connollys-Cashel.

Longfordian

Ballymahon had a very bad day at the office on Saturday .... so I wouldn't read much into the manner of our victory .... although we did play very well at times ...Brian Farrell was immense , Fintan Coyle cleaned up around the middle , Hannon and P Smith did very well in defence and attacked with pace ... one of our panelist's ,  will remain unmentioned ,had a considerable amount of money on us to win @ 2/1 ...he had a nervous first few mins , but calmed down after that !
Slashers always looked comfortable , it took them a while to shake Granard off , P Kelly and Philips will be a handful.
Performance of the weekend has to go to St.Columba's .... outplayed and outscored a very fancied Killoe outfit , great to see , and they will be very confident of securing a quater final spot.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on July 20, 2010, 01:26:31 PM
Ballymahon had a very bad day at the office on Saturday .... so I wouldn't read much into the manner of our victory .... although we did play very well at times ...Brian Farrell was immense , Fintan Coyle cleaned up around the middle , Hannon and P Smith did very well in defence and attacked with pace ... one of our panelist's ,  will remain unmentioned ,had a considerable amount of money on us to win @ 2/1 ...he had a nervous first few mins , but calmed down after that !

Dunno what's gone wrong with Ballymahon this year, but whatever it is is fairly drastic; we played them in the league in Ballymahon and beat them quite comfortably despite missing several players.

We'll say nothing about the betting in case the CCCC take an interest :P

QuoteSlashers always looked comfortable , it took them a while to shake Granard off , P Kelly and Philips will be a handful.
Performance of the weekend has to go to St.Columba's .... outplayed and outscored a very fancied Killoe outfit , great to see , and they will be very confident of securing a quater final spot.

We're not getting over-excited yet (at least I hope we're not). We'll be playing Ardagh without a couple of key players because of holidays, and they looked useful against Clonguish. You might well see all the teams in that group on 2 points after the next round of matches because Killoe will have to do their damnedest against Clonguish.

The first Senior Championship win since 1952 was a nice experience though  ;D

sheelinside

i saw naomh Columbas in a challenge game earlier this year, first time i saw them in about 4 years.
They were a massive improvement from what i remembered-- some lovely young useful tidy footballers-- was impressed with what i saw that day. (albeit against extremely limited opposition)
the future looks bright there

Longfordian

Laurel ,
Word on the street is that Killoe are lodging an objection ...... is there any substance to it ? , if so then its very poor form from Killoe , as they were beaten fair and square !!!