Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 24, 2016, 02:31:01 PM
Yeah, could someone explain to me the DUPs thinking? Surely they are going down the same route as Cameron and getting confused between tactics and strategy (tactics being strengthen the border short term, strategically though Brexit inevitably weakens the Union long term). Just don't understand what they think they are going to get from this.

Even if a border poll is staved off, Scotland is going to go and an NI with an EU border to the republic and one to Scotland is just not tenable.

The re-imposition of the border plays to their neanderthal wing and emphasises they are a different country. They were never comfortable with this blurring of the border carry-on. They also believe that repeal of the Human Rights Act will allow them to get away with discrimination against LGBT and foreigners, while also putting an end to the Fenian's taking their grievances to the European Courts. Personally I don't think there's a chance in hell the Brits are going to break an international treaty brokered by the US and lodged in the UN for the sake of Ulster backwoodsmen.   

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on June 24, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say that britain will bring back the Commonwealth and will sell to it.

waiting...

Nige Farage mentioned the commonhaven'tgotthenailstoscratchthemselveswealth this morning, I kid you not, harking back to the days of the glorious empire and Britannia ruling the waves!

Ulick

Quote from: johnneycool on June 24, 2016, 02:59:15 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 24, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say that britain will bring back the Commonwealth and will sell to it.

waiting...

Nige Farage mentioned the commonhaven'tgotthenailstoscratchthemselveswealth this morning, I kid you not, harking back to the days of the glorious empire and Britannia ruling the waves!

Irish senator calls on Republic of Ireland to rejoin Commonwealth
'Would rejoining not help further develop a pluralist Ireland'

Published
22/06/2016

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/irish-senator-calls-on-republic-of-ireland-to-rejoin-commonwealth-34823437.html

Canalman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 24, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
Will British citizens living in the E.U be living there illegally once the Brexit is official? What will be the status of Irish citizens living in the U.K and vice versa U.K citizens living in Ireland?

That is the $64,000 question.

Would be surprised if there isn't deep in the bowels of one of those treaties we voted on some rule against member states making separate deals with non member states.

All up in the air.

Know a couple of mates of mine living  in London  years  who took out a British passport in the last year or so just in case.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Canalman on June 24, 2016, 03:02:16 PM
Will British citizens living in the E.U be living there illegally once the Brexit is official? What will be the status of Irish citizens living in the U.K and vice versa U.K citizens living in Ireland?

Would be surprised if there isn't deep in the bowels of one of those treaties we voted on some rule against member states making separate deals with non member states.

All up in the air.

Know a couple of mates of mine living  in London  years  who took out a British passport in the last year or so just in case.

There's 300000 U.K citizens living in Spain, they'll have to move back to the U.K. The amount of people both leaving and returning to the U.K will  be mind boggling

Applesisapples

The Brits will settle for Brexit light as a fig leaf for Boris' fat arse.

Syferus

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 24, 2016, 03:10:20 PM

All up in the air.

There's 300000 U.K citizens living in Spain, they'll have to move back to the U.K. The amount of people both leaving and returning to the U.K will  be mind boggling

Like feck they will. Agreements so they can stay and amnesties at worst will be in place long before Britain exits.

Canalman

All up in the air.

Yep, certainly a possibility. Plenty of horsetrading to do. Serious national self interest will come to the fore.

Might throw Gibraltar's future into the mix.

Really complicated now.

No wides

Quote from: Longshanks on June 24, 2016, 02:56:53 PM
We were talking about europe here and one fella is of the opinion that leaving europe still won't happen and Cameron leaving (the smart move) is not what Gove or Johnson would want as if say Johnson was elected leader he cannot go to the eu with a peoples mandate as he isn't technically the peoples choice and therefore he would need to hold a general election.

As before if Cameron had went forward he would have had the peoples mandate and with him leaving it messes their plans up.

Now if a general election was held and a party go in that was pro euro (labour) and judging by the back lash and people realising how bad things could get this could happen then they could come to an agreement not to leave the euro.

fingers crossed??

One hell of a call, obviously it would need done before Article 50 is activated, that said - if you are out you are out, I think others will follow.

imtommygunn

All up in the air.

Frankie boyoe tweeted about this. Said banks in the uk should be very worried. As all the bank robbers will be returning from spain lol.

Applesisapples

Knives out for Corbyn now.

No wides

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2016, 03:16:38 PM
Knives out for Corbyn now.

Near time, had he showed any sort of leadership the vote would have been different, how he became leader will always amaze me.

imtommygunn

I like corbyn but not convinced he's a viable leader. They'll end up with someone who's tory-lite like khan or the like.

Applesisapples

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 03:18:08 PM
I like corbyn but not convinced he's a viable leader. They'll end up with someone who's tory-lite like khan or the like.
GUBU...vote against immigrants and end up with the son of one as a pm! karma.

Declan