Mayo v ????? All Ireland Quarter Final Official Thread

Started by Barney, July 23, 2012, 09:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Anybody when the draw is going to be made?

What we do know is that it's gonig to be one of Kildare, Sligo, Tipperary, Down, Kerry, Clare, Meath or Laois that we face.

Hard to know where we stand but the hope is that we are in good fettle to give any one of these a rattle.

But with Cork, Donegal and Dublin in the same hat as ourselves we are definitely the team everybody else will want to meet.

Lar Naparka

Interesting times lie ahead.
The list of potential opponents is going to be reduced to four after the next round  of qualifiers and I expect Kerry, Meath, Tipperary and probably Sligo to come through. I'm not sure if we can play Sligo at this stage of the championship but in any event, I'd prefer to face Tipperary rather than any other possible opponent.
Looking at the full list, I see no one on it that would frighten me but our next game is going to be a tough one without a doubt.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

I'm sure we'll be the ones the 4 winners of next weekend's games will want and I'm sure we'll be written off as cannon fodder for whoever gets us. Not sure who I want. I'm still not impressed with the forwards but the work ethic is there and that's a pleasing aspect to have.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

PAULD123

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 23, 2012, 10:13:29 AM
Interesting times lie ahead.
The list of potential opponents is going to be reduced to four after the next round  of qualifiers and I expect Kerry, Meath, Tipperary and probably Sligo to come through. I'm not sure if we can play Sligo at this stage of the championship but in any event, I'd prefer to face Tipperary rather than any other possible opponent.
Looking at the full list, I see no one on it that would frighten me but our next game is going to be a tough one without a doubt.

Yes we had a bad day at the office yesterday but don't you think you are a bit quick to dismiss the Ulster finalists, Division 1 semi-finalists, and 2010 All-Ireland finalists against a team from Division 3, who struggled to a 10 to 8 points victory against a poor Antrim side?

borderfox

Mayos luck would have them playing Kerry, then Dublin, Then Cork/Donegal in the final. Handy enough run in ;D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Syferus

The backlash against Kildare has got so comical plenty of people are backing Sligo over them. Sligo have plenty to prove themselves, the last time they lost a Connacht final it took two years before they were right again.

Farrandeelin

I'd take that as a compliment PaulD. If Mayo did end up playing Down he'd fear Down. I think he's hoping it's a Tipp win. And then Tipp and Mayo meet.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cosmo Kramer

I think the possible draws for us will be something like Kildare, Down, Laois and Kerry. We cannot face Sligo in the quarters. A Sligo win over Kildare would therefore increase the chances of us drawing Kerry.

Clearly after the Donegal display yesterday we will be the team the qualifiers will want to get, albeit there are no easy draws for the teams that come through the qualifiers this year with three of last year's semi-finalists and the 2010 champions being what is on offer.

Last year's draw left us needing to beat the best three teams in the country to win an All-Ireland. This year I don't think Dublin look as good so the ideal draw would be for Kerry to get Donegal or Cork so that we would avoid all three in the quarters and also the semis if we get there.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Mayo4Sam

I think the four winners will be Down, Meath, Kerry and Kildare and that's the order I'd like to meet them in, maybe even switch Down and Meath. I think it wouldn't be bad to play Kerry but I'd fear Kildares short hand passing game, like Cork and Donegal I could see them cutting through us
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

QuoteI'd fear Kildares short hand passing game, like Cork and Donegal I could see them cutting through us

Have you seen Kildare play this year, our play A is to kick into O'Connor?

But in saying that our plan B which we used in the last 20 mins against Limerick was the short passing game with runners coming off the shoulder, worked a treat as we out scored Limerick 10 points to 1.
#newbridgeornowhere

hondacounty

I read somewhere that the draw for the QF is tomorrow morning. Anyone know if this is correct.

ross4life

As i said on the Connacht final thread, Mayo won't fear any of the possible quarter final opponents and i think it's all set up for a repeat of the 2006 semi final anyways.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

bucko

Regardless of who we play, our lads have to decide on what exactly they're trying to do in front of goal. The tactic of going for goals in the first half v Sligo seemed to override a lot of the players natural tendancy to go for points. From were I was sitting, while we where getting into a lot of good positions, it looked like players were winding up to go for the point and then suddenly remembering they were supposed to be going for goal, it may explain the apparent hesitation and indecision. While I can understand Horan's desire for goals given our poor record for goal scoring in past championships, the tactic should not be so rigid so as to prevent points being taken when the goal is just not on. Another factor that is going to determine how far we go the rest of this summer is Aidan O'Shea, his impact when he came in against Sligo was obvious. Mayo with and without Aidan O'Shea are almost two different teams, while its looking likely that he'll be back to full fitness for the QF although I did read somewhere that he will probably need surgery for the abdominal muscle injury when the season is over so here's hoping it holds up till then!

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
QuoteI'd fear Kildares short hand passing game, like Cork and Donegal I could see them cutting through us

But in saying that our plan B which we used in the last 20 mins against Limerick was the short passing game with runners coming off the shoulder, worked a treat as we out scored Limerick 10 points to 1.
Exactly Dinny and it's the sort of game we have struggled to compete with over the last few years, Cork in particular have looked like they could put up big scores and big goal tallies against us, last years quarter final included
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2012, 03:11:45 PM

Exactly Dinny and it's the sort of game we have struggled to compete with over the last few years, Cork in particular have looked like they could put up big scores and big goal tallies against us, last years quarter final included

They certainly got a fearsome score against ye in the second half.