Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

There were quite a few marginal calls throughout for both sides. I'd say after the first half corofin weren't complaining too much when they were 3 up. And corofin cant blame the ref for st. brigids 5 or 6 pts in a row at start of second half which paved the way. I'd say corofin have only themselves to blame

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on November 20, 2011, 04:05:44 PM

Ref gave soft frees to both sides & would have to see a replay of the disallowed goal, from my view the Corofin man went in with his knees & the St brigid's man had to go off injured at HT. finally Corofin fans let themselves down at the end though Cake Curran did a fine job on stewarding.

Jaysus you make it sound like the ref did a bang up job straight down the line.

You know he's been poor when even the commentators are saying he's riding one of the teams.

Celt_Man

Referee was a complete joke there today.... he must have given a dozen frees in the opening 6 minutes of the second half...  Not nice to see those scenes at the end but when you make such a balls of such a very important game it is understandable that emotions are higher extremely high - not condoning boys wanting to knock the head off him though
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Quote from: Abble on November 20, 2011, 04:08:51 PM
There were quite a few marginal calls throughout for both sides. I'd say after the first half corofin weren't complaining too much when they were 3 up. And corofin cant blame the ref for st. brigids 5 or 6 pts in a row at start of second half which paved the way. I'd say corofin have only themselves to blame
Good post, Corofin where well in control of that game at HT but where poor in the 2nd half though as poor as they where they had enough of the ball near the end to level the game but didn't.

Ref was poor but didn't exactly do a Martin Sludden to deserve that carry on at the end of the game.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sans pessimism

poor ref,exciting finish,disgraceful scenes after final whistle.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

GalwayBayBoy

Kieran Fitzgerald fairly tore the ref a new one on the radio there. Don't think I've ever heard him so angry.

Would not surprise me if the fallout from this is no more provincial finals on the home ground of one of the competing teams. In fairness I raised that point myself even befiore the game. Not like there isn't a shortage of grounds out there.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 04:46:09 PM
Would not surprise me if the fallout from this is no more provincial finals on the home ground of one of the competing teams. In fairness I raised that point myself even befiore the game. Not like there isn't a shortage of grounds out there.

Yes & it wasn't the first time competing team had home advantage, i guess when Galway play Mayo in Connacht final next July you will be calling for neutral venue  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on November 20, 2011, 05:08:13 PM

Yes & it wasn't the first time competing team had home advantage, i guess when Galway play Mayo in Connacht final next July you will be calling for neutral venue  ;)

Bit of a difference between that and a club side having a provincial final on their home ground but you know that. It would have been equally ridiculous for Corofin or anyone else to have a final on their home ground even though it's happened before. Doesn't mean it should still be happening.

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on November 20, 2011, 04:29:19 PM
Good post, Corofin where well in control of that game at HT but where poor in the 2nd half though as poor as they where they had enough of the ball near the end to level the game but didn't.

Ref was poor but didn't exactly do a Martin Sludden to deserve that carry on at the end of the game.

Corofin will hardly have been happy with only being 3 points up at halftime, 2 clear goal chances, one scored and disallowed harshly IMO. The ref gave a series of soft frees to Brigids at start of second half, obviously they were dominant in this period anyway. Brigids defended well at the end. I'd say there will be a lot of banging of bar counters around Corofin tonight.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross4life

Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 05:20:10 PM

Corofin will hardly have been happy with only being 3 points up at halftime, 2 clear goal chances, one scored and disallowed harshly IMO. The ref gave a series of soft frees to Brigids at start of second half, obviously they were dominant in this period anyway. Brigids defended well at the end. I'd say there will be a lot of banging of bar counters around Corofin tonight.
Don't forget the clear goal chance St Brigid's had that was well saved & those two close in soft frees O'Donovan got in the 2nd half.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on November 20, 2011, 05:29:40 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 05:20:10 PM

Don't forget the clear goal chance St Brigid's had that was well saved & those two close in soft frees O'Donovan got in the 2nd half.

Yes they were clear frees. One of them the arm was nearly pulled off the Corofin player. Jesus buy a clue would ya.

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 05:15:03 PM

Bit of a difference between that and a club side having a provincial final on their home ground but you know that. It would have been equally ridiculous for Corofin or anyone else to have a final on their home ground even though it's happened before. Doesn't mean it should still be happening.
They are entitled to play it at any County status ground of which Kiltoom is one.
Anyway Brigids played Salthill in  a Final in Pearse Stadium and Ballina in their grounds in a Final in recent years.
So what's sauce for the goose ..... and all that.
Anyway well done Brids , good to see a Connacht title coming to our County again.
They didnt play well for a lot of the game but stepped it up middle of the second half and could have won more comfortably if Mannion could have kicked straight near the end.
THe ref... he wasnt great  :-\ ( and he wasn't Duffy  ;D ;D).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 20, 2011, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 05:15:03 PM

They are entitled to play it at any County status ground of which Kiltoom is one.
Anyway Brigids played Salthill in  a Final in Pearse Stadium and Ballina in their grounds in a Final in recent years.

Pearse Stadium isn't Salthill's home ground. Granted it's very close to it.

Buckass

As a neutral whose only bias was backing Brigids @ 19/10 at half-time, the ref was shocking. He was a home pitch ref full stop. The number of easy vital frees he gave to Brigids was the difference. Even in 1st half I thought the Ros side were getting some suspect calls their way. In 2nd half it was blatant all thru. At vital stages he gave Karol Mannion an unbelievably soft free after he'd gone to ground and looked to have overcarried from which there was a score and then Sice was fouled on way out, Kelly touched it on ground and free given in while goal was good in 1st half.
You can say all you like about Corofin only having themselves to blame blah de blah but that's not looking at it squarely. Brigids won by one and imho the ref was worth 4-5 to them at least. Thanks for the few euro Mr Devenney tho!

Lone Shark

I'd have been hoping for a Brigids win today due to the in-laws all being from Cam, but even from that perspective Corofin were absolutely robbed today. Brigids got four points from frees in the first half and at least two of them were for nothing at all - there were two overcarrying decisions against Corofin that made no sense to me, the goal was contentious at best and if anything it got worse in the second half.

Kiltoom is a grand venue and I'd have no problem with the game being held there - either you decide you want neutral venues and bring everyone up to Castlebar, or you leave things as they are. The ground had nothing to do with St Brigids win today, the ref was the main factor by a mile.

None of this excuses what happened at the end by the way. The ref was grossly incompetent on the day but that can happen to anyone. I'd say it's safe to assume they wouldn't have done the same to Kieran Fitzgerald if he gave away two goals due to bad handpasses in front of his own posts.