Championship Power Rankings

Started by Lar Naparka, August 24, 2011, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Only one ranking counts - the team that have Sam Maguire.

Everything else is idle chit chat

armaghniac

QuoteEverything else is idle chit chat

The exact purpose of this forum.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Ranking systems are a load of balls.  Sure Spain are the current European and world cup champions, undefeated top of their current european qualifying group with five wins out of five, but have been knocked of the top of the Fifa rankings by Holland the other day because they were beat by Italy in a friendly!

heffo

Quote from: HiMucker on August 25, 2011, 03:27:48 PM
Ranking systems are a load of balls.  Sure Spain are the current European and world cup champions, undefeated top of their current european qualifying group with five wins out of five, but have been knocked of the top of the Fifa rankings by Holland the other day because they were beat by Italy in a friendly!

I'm not sure if the Fifa rankings have the same level of prestige attached to them as the Eircom power rankings though!

Zulu

I can't believe the criticism the rankings got in the first few posts. First off it is his opinion and only that, secondly his rankings are very valid and are as reasonable as any other. If we all did the same and we justified our choices with a paragraph on each team I'ddoubt anyones wouldn't recieve criticism or have some poster point out such and such a result. For example, I think Dublin will win the All Ireland and I guess that means I should rank them at 1, could I write a paragraph justifying that without someone being able to pick some holes in it? No. Could anyone do it for any other team? I don't think so.

These rankings are based on performances in both league and championship (I'd imagine) over the past year or two but also on what we individually think of each team. I think Cork, for example, are well worth a top 3 slot even though they got beaten at the QF stage. Some might disagree but there is plenty I could use to support my view and it would be nonsense to dismiss it as rubbish.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2011, 04:14:24 PM
I can't believe the criticism the rankings got in the first few posts. First off it is his opinion and only that, secondly his rankings are very valid and are as reasonable as any other. If we all did the same and we justified our choices with a paragraph on each team I'ddoubt anyones wouldn't recieve criticism or have some poster point out such and such a result. For example, I think Dublin will win the All Ireland and I guess that means I should rank them at 1, could I write a paragraph justifying that without someone being able to pick some holes in it? No. Could anyone do it for any other team? I don't think so.

These rankings are based on performances in both league and championship (I'd imagine) over the past year or two but also on what we individually think of each team. I think Cork, for example, are well worth a top 3 slot even though they got beaten at the QF stage. Some might disagree but there is plenty I could use to support my view and it would be nonsense to dismiss it as rubbish.

Exactly - it's nothing to get worked up over - plus the rankings have been fluid all year - Kildare were #3 for most of July based on good wins in the qualifiers, they were put ahead of Dublin on the basis of momentum.

Cork are 100% a top three team if not more. If they were to play Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, Donegal, Kildare etc with their full deck then they'd come out on top more often than not.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Why do the rankings take place after one Semi but before the other? This seems to give an uneven scale to judge by. What happens if Donegal gets hammered by Dublin or Dublin gets beaten out the gate by Donegal, do Mayo leapfrog the loser, does Cork get to go up a place if its Dublin that gets beaten?

Surely getting beaten by Kerry is different from getting beaten by Donegal or Dublin in terms of the challenge faced in the Semi. I would have confidence that Mayo could get alot closer or beat Donegal or Dublin in a Semi.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AFS

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2011, 05:01:16 PM
Why do the rankings take place after one Semi but before the other? This seems to give an uneven scale to judge by. What happens if Donegal gets hammered by Dublin or Dublin gets beaten out the gate by Donegal, do Mayo leapfrog the loser, does Cork get to go up a place if its Dublin that gets beaten?

Surely getting beaten by Kerry is different from getting beaten by Donegal or Dublin in terms of the challenge faced in the Semi. I would have confidence that Mayo could get alot closer or beat Donegal or Dublin in a Semi.

He's been doing them every week for the whole year. They chop and change all the time.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2011, 04:14:24 PM

You haven't come to terms with it yet Zuls, no? Ah well. Time is a great healer.

Zulu

Come to terms with what ICC? I rate Cork highly, I have done for sometime and will do for another year or two at least. Why? Well I look at their players and results and have concluded that they are one of, if not the, best team in Ireland.I've had my doubts about Counihan and these have increasaed since the Mayo game. I also think Dublin are a top side and even if they lose to Donegal that won't change because one game won't overshadow all the good things they have done. I rate teams not solely on far they go in the AI but over time and on the ability I think their players have. It isn't a perfect system but it's as good as any IMO.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2011, 06:04:27 PM
Come to terms with what ICC? I rate Cork highly, I have done for sometime and will do for another year or two at least. Why? Well I look at their players and results and have concluded that they are one of, if not the, best team in Ireland.I've had my doubts about Counihan and these have increasaed since the Mayo game. I also think Dublin are a top side and even if they lose to Donegal that won't change because one game won't overshadow all the good things they have done. I rate teams not solely on far they go in the AI but over time and on the ability I think their players have. It isn't a perfect system but it's as good as any IMO.

Zulu I was wondering why Dublin is given the benefit of the doubht so often, while people write off Tyrone as past it. The likes of Mayo and Donegal aren't given the benefit of doubht despite Mayo's regular AI appearances and Mayo and Donegal's League Final appearances. I may be wrong, but Dublin seem to always get the benefit of the doubht and before next Sunday they have really not alot more to show for it than half a dozen other counties.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.