Fifa goal of the year - The Puskas award

Started by Denn Forever, November 04, 2010, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Saw this on the news last night.  Don't know what the others are like but this one is pretty cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11681786

Mattie Burrows wonder strike up for goal of season

Mattie Burrows' sensational goal for Glentoran against Portadown is shortlisted for Fifa's goal of the year

A Glentoran player who scored a wonder goal last month has said it's "surreal" his strike has been shortlisted for the Fifa Goal of the Year.

Mattie Burrows' back flick against Portadown on 5 October is on a shortlist of 10 goals in the running for the Ballon d'Or - Puskas Award.

The goal has become an internet sensation, racking up millions of views on websites across the world.

It even appeared on the big screen in New York's Times Square.

The 25-year-old's jumping backheel volley came in the 92nd minute of Glentoran's 1-0 victory at the Oval.

"I think it's one of those ones if you tried it 100 times it wouldn't come off, but thankfully it came off on the night - I caught it perfectly," Mattie said.

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote
It would be surreal sitting beside Messi and people like Wesley Sneijder"
End Quote
Mattie Burrows

Glentoran
"I knew it was a good goal at the time, but the next few days it went a bit crazy.

"It ended up on Youtube and got millions of hits and I was doing interviews with Talksport and Sky Sports and they were telling me there were people watching it in Brazil."

All the goals up for the award will be available to see on the Fifa website later this month and football fans across the world can vote for their favourite.

The winner will be presented with their award in Zurich on 10 January, 2011, the same event at which other honours such as world player of the year will be handed out.

Mattie said it would be amazing to rub shoulders with some of the world's best players at the awards if he wins.

"It would be surreal sitting beside (Lionel) Messi and people like Wesley Sneijder," he said.

"They'll probably all be wearing £2,000 suits, but just to be there sitting beside people like that would be unbelievable - I think I could just retire now."
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

I heard people raving about the goal on here, but didn't see until last night. I must say, it was pity impressive.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on November 04, 2010, 12:16:23 PM
I heard people raving about the goal on here, but didn't see until last night. I must say, it was pity impressive.

Paradox?  :)

It's a carcking goal alright - I'm sure he'll enjoy his night over there.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Doogie Browser

RedandGreenSniper

I won't get tired of looking at that goal. I know plenty on here reckon it was a fluke but a fluke is when you don't mean to do something. He meant to do that. Sure, it might have been a 1 in 1000 effort, but he achieved what he aimed to. Class goal. Hope he wins the award.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2010, 01:54:31 PM
I won't get tired of looking at that goal. I know plenty on here reckon it was a fluke but a fluke is when you don't mean to do something. He meant to do that. Sure, it might have been a 1 in 1000 effort, but he achieved what he aimed to. Class goal. Hope he wins the award.

1 in 1000 is right I'd say, he'll be replaying that one to the grandchildren
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

concrete_boots

Anyone know what other goals he is up against?

EagleLord

It is such a goal, and as the sniper said there, i wouldnt class that as a fluke. Ball came in, he wanted to get a bit of contact on it to score, and he scored, so he did what he set out to do.

I would be interested to see what other goals are in contention for the award too. I just hope they dont choose a goal by ye know, Ronaldo, Messi or any other big star, over this one. That would be a real shame.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 04, 2010, 05:29:48 PM
Has pintsofguinness seen this yet?
yeah, why?

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2010, 01:54:31 PM
No, according to the oxford english dictionary a fluke is
"...an unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck..."
It was a fluke - he basically stated that himself!

That said, I hope he wins.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Denn Forever

These are the criteria for Goal of the year from last year so I assume it is the same this year.

The FIFA Puskás Award
Created in honour of Ferenc Puskás, captain and star of the Hungarian national team during the 1950s, the FIFA Puskás Award will be bestowed upon the player from either the men's or women's game judged to have scored the best goal of the year.

The final decision will be down to you, the users of FIFA.com, with your votes counting towards selecting a winner from ten videos as chosen by the FIFA Football Committee. In making their decision, the FIFA Football Committee applied the following criteria:

1. Aesthetics (a subjective criterion – long-range shots, team moves, acrobatic goals etc)
2. The importance of the match (an objective criterion – in descending order: national teams, continental tournaments, domestic first divisions)
3. The absence of luck or an opposition mistake as a factor making the goal possible
4. Fair Play: the player must not have conducted himself poorly during the game or, for example, have been found guilty of doping
5. The date: goals scored between July 2008 and July 2009

All that remains now is for you to vote for your favourite goal and contribute to choosing the recipient of the 2009 FIFA Puskás Award. The winner will be unveiled at the FIFA World Player Gala on 21 December, where he or she will receive the FIFA Puskas Award trophy, with their name engraved upon it.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

EagleLord

Its like he was tagged in a photo on fb..then he had to click on it to check it out!  :D