NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on February 11, 2019, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2019, 08:22:25 PM
Dubs playing it very cute in the 5 in a row attempt. Lose a few league matches optionally so no need to bother with a league final. Leave a few crumbs for striving Kerry or rebuilding Mayo, god love them. Put the media off the trail in April/May

An easy run through Leinster without breaking sweat and 3 super 8 matches to fine tune the machine
And then see if anyone has closed the gap.
It's nonsense to say we're not trying in the league.

We're without Cluxton and Kilkenny and they are two key players (although Clifford just as important for Kerry, they were missing Moran for most of the game too, and JOD could even struggle to get back into the team!)

But every Dub there was doing his absolute best as they know it's key to retaining their place come championship. It's nonsense to say we're less interested in the league than previous years just because we're going for the 5 in a row.

We beat Galway comfortably (they play too defensive to cause up trouble) and it took really good performances from Kerry and Monaghan to beat us.
There was been some commentary that we lost to Kerry because they are ahead of us in fitness. I don't know enough to say whether that's true or not, but in the last 10 minutes with us down to 14, we were the ones that finished the strongest.

Kerry did look stronger and more athletic than in previous years. Their style reminded me of Mayo. Their defence looked much improved, and their scoretaking was a bit scary! As usual, Dubs look shaky defending a high ball. Dublin's star forwards Mannion, Con and Costello all had flashes of brilliance, but were inconsistent.

Looking forward to Mayo now, and seeing what they're like this year in the flesh. If we beat them, and Kerry beat them, then we should be able to make it to a league final and give Kerry another go. But if Mayo beat us, then we are literally in a relegation battle! Although hard to see Cavan or Tyrone taking points off us.

Plamas

The Dubs don't care about this league. 2 losses out of 3 says it all.
The relentless focus is on the 5 in a row

All the muppets who backed the machine at 4/7 in early January will get hosed.   
Tyrone have also been undercooked 

D1 Odds via Oddschecker

Dubs           4/7
Kerry          7/1
Tyrone        8/1
Mayo       10/1
Galway        12/1
Monaghan    16/1
Ros             50/1
Cavan          100/1

10/2

Kerry 7/4
Dubs 9/4
Mayo 11/4
Galway 8/1
Monaghan 40/1
Tyrone 50/1
Ros     66/1
Cavan 500/1
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Good man seafoid. Clueless as always.
Dubs don't want a distraction of a league final so deliberately lost to Kerry. Threw Flynn and Macauley on to make sure we wouldnt come back. Accidentally clawed it back to level, but gave them a handy point to win it, and Fento blazed the last one wide rather than try to work it into an easier position, just to make sure Kerry took all 2 points.

Main Street

Most probably (with any degree of certainity) only the addition of Cluxton to the line up would have swung that game Dublin's way. Though Dublin did finish strong, Kerry held them up and had something extra left in the tank in the final minutes.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on February 11, 2019, 11:28:40 AM
Good man seafoid. Clueless as always.
Dubs don't want a distraction of a league final so deliberately lost to Kerry. Threw Flynn and Macauley on to make sure we wouldnt come back. Accidentally clawed it back to level, but gave them a handy point to win it, and Fento blazed the last one wide rather than try to work it into an easier position, just to make sure Kerry took all 2 points.

The Dubs are at least 5 or 6 points better than Kerry when they can be arsed, Hound
They don't care  about the league.
Flynn and Macauley get a bit of game time but the result is irrelevant. 

All Ireland Senior  Football Championship

Dublin 8/13
Kerry 6/1

Fento blazing one wide wouldn't account for the gap , would it  ?

seafoid

Mayo are 7/2 v the Dubs the next day
Nice price if the Dubs don't turn up again

manfromdelmonte

Dubs are back at their home ground again - SORRY not their home ground. Their rented home, that's located in the same county and within view of their home ground.

Main Street

Do the Dubs have to pay rent to use CP?

Somehow I imagine there's a virtual red carpet laid from their training ground to CP.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on February 11, 2019, 01:53:37 PM

A very nice price. Apart from Dublin no other side has performed consistently well in Croke park like Mayo have over the last number of years. Horan will likely pick his strongest and most experienced team for this game as he will know a win will likely stop Dublin from reaching the final which would give Mayo a much better chance to win a first national title for 18 years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 11, 2019, 02:32:49 PM

A very nice price. Apart from Dublin no other side has performed consistently well in Croke park like Mayo have over the last number of years. Horan will likely pick his strongest and most experienced team for this game as he will know a win will likely stop Dublin from reaching the final which would give Mayo a much better chance to win a first national title for 18 years.

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in League and Championship since 2012. That's nearly 7 years.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 11, 2019, 02:47:18 PM

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in League and Championship since 2012. That's nearly 7 years.
It depends which Dubs turn up really, doesn't it? It may be the non contact Dubs where Fento misses in the last minute

3 Connacht teams in the top 4 and the bottom 3 are the 3 Ulster teams
#Jaysus

Cunny Funt

Would that be case if James Horan had remained manager all this time? Horan has beaten Dublin in both league and championship.

larryin89

Yes that would be the case , Dublin were that little bit better than us , possibly had them in 16 if bastick had of been pulled for the clear off the ground pick up with the hands , it was a free in to win the all Ireland ,cillian had just scored a screamer to level it from about 40yrds out , absolute shoe in to score from a 21 free.  Anyway them days are past now . So I don't believe Horan would of made any difference ,to answer your question.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on February 11, 2019, 08:23:49 PM
Yes that would be the case , Dublin were that little bit better than us , possibly had them in 16 if bastick had of been pulled for the clear off the ground pick up with the hands , it was a free in to win the all Ireland ,cillian had just scored a screamer to level it from about 40yrds out , absolute shoe in to score from a 21 free.  Anyway them days are past now . So I don't believe Horan would of made any difference ,to answer your question.

You'll never get those tight calls in an away fixture.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 11, 2019, 02:59:03 PM

Would that be case if James Horan had remained manager all this time? Horan has beaten Dublin in both league and championship.
Ah, if only me auntie... ;D ;D
We will never know. It could help to pass a few cold winter nights in front of a blazing fire and sitting on a high stoll with a pint in yer hand and a few earlier ones settling down nicely but other than that, it's of no relevance now.
But if I was sitting on the stool beside you, I'd be inclined to bet that Horan wouldn't have won an AI in his first term.
Maybe he is older and wiser now. Hope so anyway.
He proved to be awfully slow to make running changes in the course of games and by all accounts was one obstinate hoor to deal with- my way o the high way- ask James Nallen or Kieran Shannon about that.
For my money, there was sweet FA between the Dublin and Mayo in recent games and all could have gone the other way. But, it wasn't just a case of Dublin having the rub of the green every time either. If they had lost any of those games, their fans would be bitching about borderline decisions or blind bleedin' refs or whatever.
For me, the  essential little nudge Dublin got to take the over the line each time came from the bench.
They had and will have an inexhaustible supply of talented young players coming through all the time.
For Horan, it was a case of all fur coat and no knickers every year. He had a super first fifteen but the backup talent needed to win just wasn't there.
This year is starting to look good and I'm beginning to hope again- maybe not this year but next one might be interesting.
I mean there are a lot of young players about now that look as if they could be useful to downright brilliant in the not-too-distant future.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 11, 2019, 09:18:20 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 11, 2019, 02:59:03 PM

Ah, if only me auntie... ;D ;D
We will never know. It could help to pass a few cold winter nights in front of a blazing fire and sitting on a high stoll with a pint in yer hand and a few earlier ones settling down nicely but other than that, it's of no relevance now.
But if I was sitting on the stool beside you, I'd be inclined to bet that Horan wouldn't have won an AI in his first term.
Maybe he is older and wiser now. Hope so anyway.
He proved to be awfully slow to make running changes in the course of games and by all accounts was one obstinate hoor to deal with- my way o the high way- ask James Nallen or Kieran Shannon about that.
For my money, there was sweet FA between the Dublin and Mayo in recent games and all could have gone the other way. But, it wasn't just a case of Dublin having the rub of the green every time either. If they had lost any of those games, their fans would be bitching about borderline decisions or blind bleedin' refs or whatever.
For me, the  essential little nudge Dublin got to take the over the line each time came from the bench.
They had and will have an inexhaustible supply of talented young players coming through all the time.
For Horan, it was a case of all fur coat and no knickers every year. He had a super first fifteen but the backup talent needed to win just wasn't there.
This year is starting to look good and I'm beginning to hope again- maybe not this year but next one might be interesting.
I mean there are a lot of young players about now that look as if they could be useful to downright brilliant in the not-too-distant future.

May have my blinkers on, but I cannot think of any Referee decision or piece of good fortune that fell to Mayo in any of the Dublin/Mayo Championship games since 2012! Cannot think of any rub of the green.