Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

priceyreilly

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2018, 06:38:22 PM
And the following 4 All Irelands will be won by Carlow, Fermanagh, Longford and Leitrim.....just like it used to be in the good old days ::).

Nothing was said about All Ireland's. Carlow getting to a Leinster semi final this year meant something to them. Any match in the losers league would be meaningless.

priceyreilly

Quote from: LeoMc on October 23, 2018, 08:26:50 PM
You are a wile man for feeling embarrassed. No need. It is an anonymous forum. Neither the Junior nor the Tommy Murphy are true B competitions.The Tommy Murphy was a secondary competition for teams beaten in the primary competition.
A proper 2 tier championship would have teams competing in the appropriate grade only, just like championships up and down the Country.

I've already blasted the losers league out of the water. It would have disastrous results for the counties thrown into it.

priceyreilly

Quote from: lenny on October 23, 2018, 08:35:08 PM
Have any of the hurling teams from the lower tiers ever been competitive at a higher level? Have they ever had large crowds at their games or had games shown on tv? They have a lot more more coverage now on tv, radio and in the papers than those counties had 20 or 30 years ago when most people weren't even aware they had hurling teams. Also I know for a fact that the players from many of the lower tier hurling counties are absolutely delighted with the new structures because it gives them a chance/hopeto play in a big game in croke park. I know one lad from donegal who cherishes his all ireland medal and to him it means as much as a liam mccarthy medal. Football has to go the same way in terms of tiers (at least 2), otherwise more than half the counties will continue to lose interest.

That's all the Donegal's etc have in hurling, why do you want football to become a minority sport in many counties? That's what will happen. Hurling needs more teams to become competitive, there's people actually advocating that we make more counties uncompetitive in football. There'd be no returning from that.

Let me repeat what works and what will actually improve the state of Gaelic Football. Antrim, Laois, Westmeath and Dublin were all around the same level in hurling in the early 2000's. Antrim, Laois and Westmeath continued on as normal. Entering the provincial championships, hopping around various league formats and championship formats including these magical tiered championships. They have never been able to reach the top tier, in fact, it could be said that they've gone backwards, especially Antrim and Laois.
The other county I mentioned was Dublin. They lost to Laois by 4 goals in 2005, they lost to Westmeath in 2006, they were generally getting whippings of teams like Offaly around this time, they were getting a couple of hundred people attending their matches. They were minnows in the same way that many counties in football are now.
As has been well documented by now, Bertie and co granted Dublin GAA millions and their standards completely changed. It obviously started with underage improvements and success and then it grew into senior success. They are now a top tier team. They are competitive. Investing in their structures has transformed them.
Financing counties is the only route that we can take. It's the only hope of making them competitive. It works. The template is there.

twohands!!!

QuoteEmlyn Mulligan hoping for new Championship format
Saturday 20 October 2018

By Cian O'Connell

Leitrim footballer Emlyn Mulligan is hopeful a Second Tier Championship will be introduced soon.

Even though Leitrim featured in four matches this summer Mulligan believes a new format would aid developing counties significantly.

"Yeah, it would definitely appeal to me," Mulligan says. "We're sitting idle a long time now since June.

"I did a few media gigs at the Super 8s and it was great watching on at the games but at the same time, regardless of the level I'd love to be out there playing again in some sort of a competition. Because we're not improving. In the last three years we've drawn Roscommon in the draw.

"Them lads were playing in the Super 8s regardless of whether they were getting hammered or not they're still getting games against massive teams. Whereas we can see the progression we got even by beating Louth, we put it up to Monaghan for periods of the game. If you had another two or three games in a different competition it's going to bring you on naturally.

"There's players there from bigger counties, the likes of Dublin, that have probably played more Championship games in a year than even myself has played throughout my career. When you're looking back on that basis, games are the only way you're going to improve. The more games the better is the way I look at it."

Does Mulligan feel that a different format is imminent? "You'd hope it is," Mulligan responds. "In fairness, you say it's a big chance and it is surely.

"The Super 8s came around and you're looking at them enforcing these new rules. It doesn't take them that long to make some changes. This is one of the biggest problems at the minute - players sitting idle since the start of June and watching on as other counties are playing in different competitions and now the Super 8s are there. I just believe there should be another system, whether they change the structure of the Championship I don't know.

"Be it that there's three groups of eight or whatever it maybe, and they're ran alongside each other and there's a final in Croke Park. That's what lads dream of. I've never played in Croke Park, but that's what you aspire to do to get there.

"Regardless of what way you get there at this stage, I just want to be up there and you want to be there in the middle of August still playing county football."

Mulligan doesn't think that a lot of players and other counties are against trialling a fresh approach. "I know you have a man across there from Carlow (Paul Broderick), they've a totally different opinion on it and you can understand," Mulligan accepts.

"I think the likes of their wins last year or even ours against Louth, I just personally think they're covering the cracks to be honest. If you go through other counties and how many hammerings they've got throughout their time. It's covering over cracks. "You've one great success story and you've 10 behind it and it's just covering up for the GAA. It's easy for Turlough O'Brien or even our own managers coming out and saying, 'It's great.' But you have to be realistic.

"In the Connacht championship I've only one victory ever in my 11 years playing if you take London and New York out of it. That's against Sligo in 2011. You're playing that long you'd have hoped you would have had a bit more playing teams at your own level.

"But we're in Connacht with three teams that are competing in Division 1, it's very hard for us to up our game three divisions come Championship day. "You'll be talking about it for a long time but you just hope someone maybe can just say, 'Right this has to be done' and people get in behind it to get good support from county managers more so than anyone else."

A decade on the inter-county beat with Leitrim Mulligan still thoroughly enjoys the game. "I love it," Mulligan admits. "I do love it. I suppose I've been lucky enough to get gigs like this to come up to. I've got a lot out of the game. I've always played for Leitrim trying to make them a better team and trying to push them on for younger lads that want to play for Leitrim. I always think people look down on us.

"My biggest pet hate is reading articles where they compare Dublin to Leitrim and it's always Leitrim. That really annoys me. I'm like, why not compare it to Wicklow? Why not compare it to Carlow? We're actually fine in Leitrim. We've money, we're happy out, we're well looked after, we don't want for anything, we know no better. But it's always 'poor Leitrim.'

"I always give off the perception that we need to change this. It's a mentality outside of Leitrim where young lads are going to college up in UCD or DCU and I can guarantee to go to a Sigerson trial and are asked where they're from. They say Leitrim and they won't look at you as eagerly as a lad that's playing with St Vincent's in Dublin.

"But it's up to us to change that. You see the perspective now of Carlow, it's changed completely. That's what we're trying to aim for and strive for. "But again, we just need to have our best players there and unfortunately year in year out, it's a struggle to get them all to commit.

"But hopefully Terry (Hyland) will be the man in the middle that can get them all to pull together for the year ahead."

The arrival of former Cavan manager Terry Hyland is a boost according to Mulligan. "I've been speaking to him a few times, he seems to have gotten a decent backroom team into place," Mulligan states.

"Jason Reilly is in as coach by all accounts, chatting to Cavan people he seems to be very good and he was a great footballer himself.

"There's a few other strong candidates in there that'll give him a boost. Chatting to a few of the lads, a lot of them are excited about going back. The biggest thing for us is keeping 99% of players we had last year and bring in a couple extra that maybe walked away last year or the year before.

"There's confidence around the county. As I said, Division Four is our target and hopefully Terry will bring in that experience he's had. He brought Cavan from, I think, Division Three to Division One so he knows the ins and outs of how it's done. Looking forward to getting at it again. Hard to believe it's come back around already at this stage of the year.

"I'm sure Terry will be getting us to put the head down over the next couple of weeks and trying to put a system in place to get us ready for the National League at the end of January."

http://www.gaa.ie/search/crawl/news/emlyn-mulligan-hoping-for-new-championship-format

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2018, 11:16:18 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/paul-flynn-most-players-would-support-move-to-tiered-football-championship-1.3674502?mode=amp

The big stat from that piece is the number of intercounty players in favour of a tiered football championship.

QuoteInterestingly, almost 60 per cent of football members surveyed told us they would support a change to a tiered football championship.

Also the April club month looks like a total failure - leaving it up to the county boards to do the right thing on their own was daft in the extreme.

five points

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 25, 2018, 05:34:06 PM

The big stat from that piece is the number of intercounty players in favour of a tiered football championship.

Of course they are. Lots of lads shy away from hard work.

Also the April club month looks like a total failure
As was ever going to be the case.
leaving it up to the county boards to do the right thing on their own was daft in the extreme.
It's clubs and their delegates who make the decisions in each county.

lenny

Quote from: five points on October 25, 2018, 05:53:48 PM

Lol, I'm sure antrim and waterford would have a great chance of beating dublin and kerry if they just worked a bit harder. Hilarious.

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2018, 11:16:18 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/paul-flynn-most-players-would-support-move-to-tiered-football-championship-1.3674502?mode=amp

QuoteInterestingly, almost 60 per cent of football members surveyed told us they would support a change to a tiered football championship.

Also the April club month looks like a total failure - leaving it up to the county boards to do the right thing on their own was daft in the extreme.

Very interesting indeed, I wonder what the % would have been even 2 years ago?? Alot less I'd say

Quote from: five points on October 25, 2018, 05:53:48 PM

Listen up Leitrim and Wicklow etc etc etc etc , get the fingers out and train a bit harder ffs

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Lol, I'm sure antrim and waterford would have a great chance of beating dublin and kerry if they just worked a bit harder. Hilarious.

Two years ago, you'd have included Carlow in that. Now they're dead set against a tiered championship because they've got off their arses in the meantime and taken several notable scalps. 

JoG2

Quote from: five points on October 26, 2018, 12:01:33 PM

Two years ago, you'd have included Carlow in that. Now they're dead set against a tiered championship because they've got off their arses in the meantime and taken several notable scalps.

Of course a manager is gonna come out as being against it and beat his chest after a couple of championship wins and it's fresh in the memory. It's a message to his players that they can compete. In reality, history shows they can't and don't. In a 2nd tier, who knows

Rossfan

Carlow's only notable scalp was Kildare in the Leinster in May 2018.
Their other scalps were against other basement or under achievers.
They may have got "off their arses" but getting promoted from D4 is the easy part.
Anyway well see what the CC come up with in November.

Orchard park

Imagine if every vlub in your county could only participate in the SFC.......

That's what the current intercounty scene is

Rossfan

And only knock out games!!
I'd say 10 would have folded at this stage.