Laois GAA needs urgent help

Started by Joeythelips, May 10, 2023, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 19, 2023, 12:16:27 AM
Quote from: Chrimtain on May 18, 2023, 04:30:01 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on May 18, 2023, 01:01:25 PM
Offaly on a steep upward curve.  U20 Leinster on top of last years minor win.

If the will is there, there is a way.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a senior All Ireland title within the next decade and I bet that's their ambition. If Offaly can do it, is there any reason why we can't achieve some success?

Offaly Senior all Ireland in the next decade ???? There's not a snowballs chance in hell that will happen

Galway winning plenty of titles at underage and have only 1 senior All Ireland in 30 odd years in the hurling. A big ask for Offaly but can certainly try. How they accommodate younger players at senior will be a bigger challenge.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 19, 2023, 12:16:27 AM
Quote from: Chrimtain on May 18, 2023, 04:30:01 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on May 18, 2023, 01:01:25 PM
Offaly on a steep upward curve.  U20 Leinster on top of last years minor win.

If the will is there, there is a way.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a senior All Ireland title within the next decade and I bet that's their ambition. If Offaly can do it, is there any reason why we can't achieve some success?

Offaly Senior all Ireland in the next decade ???? There’s not a snowballs chance in hell that will happen

I believe it is possible in hurling. No one would have predicted a few years ago that they would win a Leinster minor title and an under 20 title in quick succession. They will not be satisfied with that. They want more and they will achieve more.

My fault, but I think we are going off topic here. This thread is about the woes of Laois GAA.

There is no doubt though, we should use Offaly's template for improving standards in this county.

High Fielder

I don't know the figures, but I'm guessing Offaly are investing significantly more than us. With Lowry's money and Duignan's leadership, they have a good platform. Last time I checked, our expenditure was exceptionally low for a proper dual county. We seem to be in the business of balancing our books rather than investing in the future. I don't know of a JP McManus or Shane Lowry who will throw their wad in our direction.

There's a case to be made, and I'm.not making it just now, for pulling all our teams and throwing everything we have at a 10 year project. Even though we're spending conmeasuratively less than most counties, it's still wasted money if we're only taking hidings all the time. As I said, I'm not hitting that panic button just yet, but there are days when it feels like we should go nuclear options. Something has to give somewhere.

clonadmad

From Will O'Callaghans Twitter

Since Duignan became Offaly chairman in 2020:

🥇All-Ireland u-20 Football, Leinster u-20 Football, Leinster u-20 Hurling, Leinster Minor Hurling, Div 2A (2), Christy Ring, Kehoe Cup.

🥈Div 3 Football, All-Ireland Minor Hurling, Leinster Minor Hurling, Leinster Minor Football.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on May 19, 2023, 08:07:53 AM
I don't know the figures, but I'm guessing Offaly are investing significantly more than us. With Lowry's money and Duignan's leadership, they have a good platform. Last time I checked, our expenditure was exceptionally low for a proper dual county. We seem to be in the business of balancing our books rather than investing in the future. I don't know of a JP McManus or Shane Lowry who will throw their wad in our direction.

There's a case to be made, and I'm.not making it just now, for pulling all our teams and throwing everything we have at a 10 year project. Even though we're spending conmeasuratively less than most counties, it's still wasted money if we're only taking hidings all the time. As I said, I'm not hitting that panic button just yet, but there are days when it feels like we should go nuclear options. Something has to give somewhere.

Have we as a county put together a funding proposal for high net worth individuals within the county or those who have done well abroad?

Have we done similar with businesses within the county or headed up by Laois people?

You have a situation where the main sponsor of Tipperary camogie is headquartered in Portlaoise

The CB ran a surplus of close to €1m over the past 2 years,why isn't that being spent somewhere as opposed to sitting in the bank

Over the past 10 years the GAA coaching grant for Laois has been greater than the likes of Offaly,Kilkenny,Clare,Limerick,Tipperary,Kerry Donegal and Tyrone

Having Money is one thing,spending it in areas where you get a return on investment is another

High Fielder

Good post clonad. And very fair points. I accept it all and these conversations need to be had. I don't think any of us are happy with the current goings on. I'm sensing disillusionment sadly, and lots of it. That could be the greatest barrier to any progress being made

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on May 19, 2023, 08:07:53 AM

It's not a chicken or egg situation in Offaly, Lowry is investing BECAUSE Duignan's in charge.

Laois GAA struggle to maintain a half decent website so we can see whats happening around the county. We look like a joke from every angle. You need people in charge with a bit of vision, people who are successful business men who know how to get things done. Surely there are ex players out their who run businesses whose brains and expertise could be picked?

The main reason Laois won a Leinster championship in 2003 was the vision to go get Mick O'Dwyer as manager, I know lots of work went in to make sure there was a pool of talent there for him, but Micko was a big name, created a buzz around the county and people were willing to donate or do what was needed. Everyone put the shoulder to the wheel and we got some of the best days ever as a county.

Chrimtain

I think High Fielder, you put your finger on it when you said our CB are administrators, but they are not men with a vision and clear path for Laois GAA.

We have money in the bank, we have a good C of E, we have a good ( and green ) stadium in OMP. But what we want are good football and hurling teams to support.

Jd

We have one of the wealthiest men in the world living in laois. Now I'm not sure if he is Gaa orientated but surely he could be approached. We also have a laois multi billionaire who while based abroad has a house not 10 miles from O Moore pk surely these people could be approached and told that any money donated would be ring fenced for juvenile development then get a juvenile director of hurling and 1for football and run the setup independent of Co board. Not without oversight obviously but with budgets that will get the best young fellas in and look after them properly RE gear and food and gyms etc

ottoman

Quote from: Jd on May 19, 2023, 11:57:12 AM
We have one of the wealthiest men in the world living in laois. Now I'm not sure if he is Gaa orientated but surely he could be approached. We also have a laois multi billionaire who while based abroad has a house not 10 miles from O Moore pk surely these people could be approached and told that any money donated would be ring fenced for juvenile development then get a juvenile director of hurling and 1for football and run the setup independent of Co board. Not without oversight obviously but with budgets that will get the best young fellas in and look after them properly RE gear and food and gyms etc

People like that get hundreds of organisations approaching them for funds on a yearly basis, between charity's, non profits groups, start ups etc...for them to even touch someone like Laois GAA they would want to be either a) hugely invested and interested in the future of Laois hurling and football and b) get sold a vision/plan of what their investment would mean and where it would put the fortunes of Laois GAA teams within the next 10 years. Its been awhile since I lived at home, but is there anyone within the current set up who could come up with a serious 10 year plan on what would be involved, so they the  could approach some of the money men just mentioned.

The difference with Lowry in Offaly and JP in Limerick is they already fell into category a, so as soon as the right men came to them with correct vision they were willing to open their wallets!

Jd

I agree Of course they do but they are somewhat invested in Laois now. A television of newspaper article of "Mr X signing a ten year deal to sponsor all Laois juvenile development" might appeal to them. Of course a ten year plan has to be in place but it is doable. And to be honest it might not cost them a huge amount as other sponsors would come on board. We refer to Offaly but it's not the amount that Lowry is giving to them but it's his profile and the fact that they have a strong backer in place that's dragging them along

High Fielder

Eddie Brennan
@NedzerB13
·
19 May
What's changed in Offaly??
Looks like the top table drove standards & leadership underage teams in both codes are delivering silverware consistently in a short space of time
Very impressive

Andy06

Kinda tells you all you need to know when the About page of the County Board section of the Laois GAA website (https://laoisgaa.ie/county-board/about/) is nothing but an empty page. It should be their motto: Laois GAA - just can't be bothered!

clonadmad

mcwregor

If the co board are any good at all, there should be action taken now. The first thing they need to do is call on the best people possible in the county to draw up a long term plan. Possibly headed up by the likes of Cheddar (although he will say he gave them a plan a few years ago and they threw it in the bin - because they knew better apparently!) Get the plan in place from top to bottom and part of that plan should be how it is all going to be funded. I've been saying it for years that we need a plan. The fact that our footballers have had poor results is highlighting how bad we are at all grades in both codes. The worst thing that could happen now is the senior footballers have a good run in the talteann Cup ask it would give them the trump card of 'ah sure we're not that bad after all and we'll stay doing the same thing for the next 10 years.