Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Pity as he's probably the most important player. 3 young players flying at the minute which is great to see.

NAG1

Tough one for Martinez as he was just showing his importance to the team in the last couple of games. Hopefully it is not as long as the reports, I was fearing the worst for him seeing the replays.

jcpen

Top 4 challenge is on now for sure, with the money they've spent it's theirs to lose really.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jcpen on February 11, 2024, 06:33:16 PMTop 4 challenge is on now for sure, with the money they've spent it's theirs to lose really.

Yes it's theirs to lose. 5 points behind would be crazy to lose 4th place ...

Can you imagine a team two points in front and losing?

Proper wasters I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ghost

Thought ETH bringing McTominay on was very negative especially when Rashford looked to have the beating of Cash without standing out but mctominay for all his faults has a good habit of scoring. Not a bad habit to have.

If the 5th place gets a champions league spot then Utd are bang in it if they show some consistency. Villa look like they could crumble.

I was worried about Hojlunds lack of goals but he's starting to come good. Long may it continue.

Maguire deserving Motm

Ghost

Also luke shaw a fantastic player when fit but he's become so unreliable with injury. A new LB is needed to help manage the load because I don't know what is wrong with Malacia.

Cunny Funt

Hard earned win away to 5th place Villa and even the much criticised Onana played big part in that win.

Led the contest for 50 minutes then gave away a bad goal by failing to clear the ball and leaving Luiz totally unmarked in the box. Match winner a great cross and header, McTominay has proved to be a decent impact sub this season.

Tottenham should finish 4th and that win keeps hopes of finishing 5th alive but will be harder to do without Martinez and today Shaw had to go off injured at half time.

lurganblue

Utd took their chances and villa didn't. I think Villa dominated large parts of the game but when they were turned over Utd looked very dangerous... especially Garnacho. Injuries have really caught up with villa and Kamara going off looks like another blow. That win is a big swing towards Utd getting 5th.

GJL

What's the craic with Champions league qualification. Does 5th get you in?

lurganblue

Possibly but not confirmed is my understanding

RedHand88

No essentially. They changed it so that the only way the team in 5th gets a spot is if that team won the champions league in the same year.

Ghost

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2024, 09:47:07 PMNo essentially. They changed it so that the only way the team in 5th gets a spot is if that team won the champions league in the same year.

That's incorrect. With the rebranding of the champions league next year, there are more teams involved and so to fill them spots some of the bigger leagues are going to get an extra spot and that will be determined the league Co-efficient in the uefa standings. Currently England are 3rd with the top 2 getting an extra spot (Germany and Italy I believe) so it essentially could come down to city getting a good run and/or Liverpool win the europa giving England a 5th spot

Armagh18

Quote from: Ghost on February 11, 2024, 09:58:51 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2024, 09:47:07 PMNo essentially. They changed it so that the only way the team in 5th gets a spot is if that team won the champions league in the same year.

That's incorrect. With the rebranding of the champions league next year, there are more teams involved and so to fill them spots some of the bigger leagues are going to get an extra spot and that will be determined the league Co-efficient in the uefa standings. Currently England are 3rd with the top 2 getting an extra spot (Germany and Italy I believe) so it essentially could come down to city getting a good run and/or Liverpool win the europa giving England a 5th spot
Bit daft that Italy are higher given 3 English CL winners in last few years

Ghost

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 11, 2024, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: Ghost on February 11, 2024, 09:58:51 PM

Bit daft that Italy are higher given 3 English CL winners in last few years

I might be completely wrong with the ranking of the countries in the Co efficient but think I heard it one of the podcasts I listen too. They talked about how Newcastle and Utd finishing bottom of their groups had a big factor with the Champions league being weighted higher than the europa league

shark

It's based on this years results alone. All Italian sides could be dumped out next round. Estimation of England getting an extra spot is currently 75%