Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Down ACFL Division 3
Dundrum 1-12  Glasdrumman 3-07

We conceded two very soft goals. Conor Harrison won the game with a late free. On the balance of play we were the better team. Harrison and Raymie Magorrian contributed 3-04 of the Drumman's total.

ardtole

I hear glasssdrumman have lost a good few players this year and mightnt be as strong this year as in previous years. Ardglass were beat by 6 points at home to bosco, we have lost an awful lot of players in last 2 years and are struggling this year,

DownFanatic

Quote from: ardtole on April 18, 2011, 09:12:39 PM
I hear glasssdrumman have lost a good few players this year and mightnt be as strong this year as in previous years. Ardglass were beat by 6 points at home to bosco, we have lost an awful lot of players in last 2 years and are struggling this year,

Who would they be? They seemed to have near enough their full compliment out tonight.

dundrumite

Ardtole I see the Ardglass soccer team are doing well. Have you many soccer biys to come back?

ardtole

Just the 2 Deegans hopefully. Chris Teggart and Barry Kearney have retired and maybe Neil Teggart as well. Philly Gill is in England working as is Chris Laird. Marty Curran and Marty McVickers are in Austrailia and Stephen Rooney is going out there soon. Stevie Smith got married recently and is living in co Leitrim. Chris Armstrong is home from college in England at the moment and Im not sure when he is due back. Aaron Beattie and Paul McCargo retired last year so if the 2 Deegans take a year break this year we will be down nearly a full team in a couple of years. Most of the players mentioned would be key players as well. Mick Magee is injured at the minute as well. Big Mark Smith had to pack it in as well due to injury and he was turning into an effective midfielder for us. That would be a big loss for a large club never mind a relatively small one.

Naomh Pol CLG

Naomh Pol 2-14.   Naomh Micael 1-04

Good win to start the season...should have won by alot more, but happy with the win.

Leo

[/quote]

Look supersub, you clearly dont understand the difference between "abuse" and genuine opinion. What I said was " Daniel McCartan looked like a Div 3 player" - that was based on my perosnal view of his performance at a match I attended., which unless I have emigrated to China I am still entirled to express (without any of the malice you display),  Were you there? Don't know the lad, not entitled to "abuse" him or otherwise - but if I am not entitled to think a player was poor then my last 50 years of attending matches has been a horrible waste of time. I am a lifelong admirer of the McCartan's and what they have contributed to Down but if that lad's name was Jones he'd be nowhere near the Down team. I admire his spirit but ask yourself - would he get on the Dublin. Cork, Tyrone or Kerry teams? I think not. Regardless of that, against the BRrdge he was al at sea. A wee honest opinion, that's all.
Fierce tame altogether

Overthebar!

Leo if I didn't know any better I would think Dan McCartan curted a daughter of yours or something!  :D
A man can have a off game now and again and if your assessing players on whether they would get into another county team well that is just plain stupid now...

supersub

Quote from: Leo on April 19, 2011, 11:26:45 PM

Look supersub, you clearly dont understand the difference between "abuse" and genuine opinion. What I said was " Daniel McCartan looked like a Div 3 player" - that was based on my perosnal view of his performance at a match I attended., which unless I have emigrated to China I am still entirled to express (without any of the malice you display),  Were you there? Don't know the lad, not entitled to "abuse" him or otherwise - but if I am not entitled to think a player was poor then my last 50 years of attending matches has been a horrible waste of time. I am a lifelong admirer of the McCartan's and what they have contributed to Down but if that lad's name was Jones he'd be nowhere near the Down team. I admire his spirit but ask yourself - would he get on the Dublin. Cork, Tyrone or Kerry teams? I think not. Regardless of that, against the BRrdge he was al at sea. A wee honest opinion, that's all.

What I originally wrote was genuine opinion of a referees performance at a match I attended, just like you saw the display on Sunday you were criticising too. You have basically said there that McCartan shouldn't be on the county team and isn't that standard, yeh you are entitled to that opinion surely, but I am entitled to say that I dont think a referee had a good performance and explain why. Just because I pointed out a few errors he made doesn't mean that it is more than just an opinion. Relating/comparing him to other county set ups and saying he is not good enough for that level is further opinion or criticisim that yes you are entitled to of course but how is this different from me saying someone shouldn't be given senior level matches to referee. You are comparing a player from the level he plays (county) to the level he 'performs' at, and I am saying the same about a referee - I don't think he is good enough (not based on one performance). You may disagree with me and that is up to you, but I am sure there are people who will disagree with you on your issue, that is the nature of it.

My original post was an opinion of a game/individual, just like you and many others on here have an opinion of other games/individuals - just because my opinion was about a referee performance shouldn't make it any worse than criticsing a players performance. Suppose I have had 'a few on board' tonight again 

whitegoodman

Quote from: Leo on April 19, 2011, 11:26:45 PM

[/quote]

Am I missing something.  How exactly was Dan McCartan all at sea on sunday?  I still didnt get an answer as to whether is man scored from play which is usually a good indication as to whether he played well or not saying as he plays in the full back line.  Maybe some of the bridge posters can confirm what i didnt see?

Was he shown up last year in the run up to the all ireland final ?  Did he look out of place, was he on the defence with one of the best defensive records throughout the country last year?  And yes I think he would get on the Dublin team for what its worth.

Ask yourself this, if Tally, McIvor or Johnston didnt think he was good enough to be near the Down team do you think they would have him there, I would have thought they are big enough men to take a stand if they thought James was basing a decision on family loyalties!!!

I thought most people got over the mccartan thing a while back but suppose some people will always be stuck in their ways!!!!

redandblackareback

He looked like a division 3 player??

Is paul mc comisky not a division 3 player??  ::) ridiculous arguement....

Did his man score from play??

Another ridiculous arguement, the corner forward forward could have set up 4 or 5 scores, won easy frees and not actually scored and had a major influence on the game.

He s a decent club footballer with limited ability who dogs out of men, he does a job thats my opinion.

PAULD123

The favouritism I feel really comes from the feeling that once in possession of the shirt James was never going to take it of him and give someone else a chance. I feel that and so do a lot of people

But so far this season Gerrard McCartan has held the shirt and Dan has not easily got it back so that says a lot as far as I am concerned.

As for his ability - I think he gives away too many frees and that is costly at county level. But he is a good man-marker and can contain good forwards. He brings a useful physicality but again at the expense of those frees. But he is far from being as bad as a lot of people have claimed. To say he should be nowhere near the county panel is silly in my opinion, he is certainly good enough to make most panels in Ulster.

Down Follower

Daniel McCartan is one of the most unfairly criticised players i have ever seen.

I cant believe that someone is saying he was bad on Sunday against the Bridge.  He had the Bridge's new corner forward, O'Rourke, in his pocket.  Everytime the ball came up near them, either Daniel was out in front, or O'Rourke was looking for a free.

He not be the best County player we have, but he aint bad. He is well worth his place on the squad, and if he wins his place back on the team then fair play to him.

knockitdown

Quote from: Down Follower on April 20, 2011, 01:51:36 PM
Daniel McCartan is one of the most unfairly criticised players i have ever seen.

I cant believe that someone is saying he was bad on Sunday against the Bridge.  He had the Bridge's new corner forward, O'Rourke, in his pocket.  Everytime the ball came up near them, either Daniel was out in front, or O'Rourke was looking for a free.

He not be the best County player we have, but he aint bad. He is well worth his place on the squad, and if he wins his place back on the team then fair play to him.

Ach well Daniel, hows things  ;D

sabhallphadraig